Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Researching for a swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Researching for a swap

Hey guys, I'm just trying to do research for a swap. I currently have a '93 RX-7 that I drive on the weekends. I've always wanted a V8 daily, the RX-7 is too impractical to drive every day. Plus, I've grown up around roatary engines and couldn't strip the car of its proverbial soul.

Having said that, my mind has always been on V8 four door cars for everyday. Problem with most American V8 cars is, they're heavy. My solution; find a suitable Japanese car to swap an LS into. Simple right?

Ive gone back and forth on this. I particularly wanted a Gen IV LS so I could pair it with a 6L80 to get the best drivability and fuel mileage, as it's a daily. Problem there, from what I've read, it's a little fat and will be difficult to fit in most platforms. So, I believe I'm going to settle on an LS1 with a 4L80 and see how I like it. Eventually, perhaps I'll get the TCI 6x 6 speed transmission with the 4L80 casting. But, that's big bucks so we'll see.

Im debating between the IS300 chassis, or an RX-8 chassis. Both cars have kits available. The RX-8 is a bit more readily available for a good price. The Renisis rotary engine is a poor design and they're dropping like flies. You can pick up a decent rolling chassis for as little as a thousand bucks. It's crazy how cheap they've gotten.

Anyway, it's good to be here and I look forward to my build. How soon that happens, will depend entirely on what kind of deals I may find out there. I'm leaning towards the RX-8 so I can have two Mazda's, but I've always liked the IS. We will see...

Nick
Old 10-03-2016, 05:12 AM
On The Tree

G8/SS is four door and not as heavy as many of the other latest US four doors. It has an LS3/LS2 already so you don't have to **** with the car as much. Wouldn't consider an RX8 a true four door lol but that's me.

Reversibly LS swap your RX7
Old 10-03-2016, 05:44 AM
Teching In

The G8 is a car I've always liked. That being said, your idea of heavy must be very different than mine lol - the damn thing weighs 4,000 pounds! That's a big girl...compare that to the 3,100 pound RX-8. Weight ruins everything in a car.

The other issu I've read is availability of parts. Pontiac is out of business and the car is Autralian, so anything outside the drivetrain is a pain in the neck to find.

The SS has the same problem the G8 does: weight. And, they both are pretty expensive. I'm trying to get everything done, car and all for less than $10k. It will be a challenge, but if the body costs me less than $3k, it's doable. It just depends on the deals I can find on the drivetrain and which drivetrain I actually settle on.

Nick
Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Most of the American V8 cars of the 80s were 3000-3400 lbs. Third gen Camaro, C4 Corvette, Mustang, Capri, etc. They're also all extremely cheap to swap.

I agree with the RX8 swap though. I plan to attempt on in the winter or spring.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I hear ya on the older American cars. I wouldn't mind one bit doing up a C4 Vette, I've always thought they were sexy cars. Thing is, I'm looking at this a daily, so for me a modern car is a must. I am hoping after it's all said and done, I will have a car that has a certain level of comfort and refinement. The plan is to retain as much of the OEM feel as possible. I would be looking to even retain a factory-quiet exhaust.

The end-goal would be 300+ whp, depending on which engine I settle on, this should be a relatively easy goal. However, I'd like to maintain a fuel efficiency of at least 25 mpg, with a stretch goal of 30 mpg on the highway. With the right gearing, 30 mpg may be possible. The final drive for the RX-8 will definitely need to be changed though, and from what I've read, I'll be limited here. They come with a 4.44 but the RX-7 automatic final drive was 3.90 and they're interchangeable. I'd like to go even lower, but I am not sure what the availability would be for that.

Now, if I swapped to a Ford 8" rear end, now I've got tons of options. So, initially if I don't achieve my efficiency marks I'm hoping for, then I have an option down the road. Having said that, the fuel savings it would equate to would not pay for the swap in all liklihood so a 3.90 may suit me just fine!

Nick
Old 10-03-2016, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Forget the 4l80. They're big and heavy, and your goals don't require a factory 700ftlb rated transmission. The 4l60 can be built to handle more than what you are asking for, although a t56 would probably help with the fuel economy.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Teching In

gametech, you're right, a 4L60 would be just fine. I'm perfectly happy with that too. I mentioned 4L80 cause it's just engrained in my mind. A 60 is the better transmission for my needs as I'll be putting the trans into a car weighing only 3,100 pounds.

I absolutely want an automatic though. It's a daily driver, so I want convenience and comfort. I've got my FD for the weekends and will happily run it through the gears. But here in Miami, stop and go traffic is terrible. Auto or no swap my man.

Nick

Quick Reply: Researching for a swap