Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

56 Willys Wagon newb

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 56 ****** Wagon newb

Hello LS1 Tech!

I've been lurking in the shadows for a few years here and there, but it's time to come out to play. Actually building the LS that I started 3 years ago and need some interactive advice. I'll post here and there of my experiences in my build, so keep up!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Welcome! My first vehicle was a '53 *****'s wagon. Mine did not have an LS. Only the F-head 134 c.i.d.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Awesome! I'm so excited to be finally starting this project and looking forward to the build.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

2wd or 4wd?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Definitely 4wd. Making this the ultimate overland vehicle as it was meant to be. Looking into a wagoneer frame swap with some heavier axles and boxed in frame. The ultimate goal is to reliably be able to drive it at highway speeds up to Colorado or Utah, and live out of it for a week or two at a time, and make it home safely. Just see things that 99% people will never see in their lifetimes. I originally was putting the 6.0 in my 59 Chevy Apache, but the Apache won't haul me, my dogs, and mountain bikes to the kind of destinations I'm seeking, so it's on the backburner or chopping block.

Just got in my Edelbrock Victor Jr intake and fuel rails. Waiting on the block, crank and heads to come back this week, had them cleaned up and balanced. I ordered a bunch more parts that should be in tomorrow. I'm just REALLY confused on what to do to control this beast. I'd like to use the stock ecm (no reason other than I have it and it's paid for), but I know of other options. I will be running a 4150 style throttle body. I've looked into Holley, Edelbrock, FAST, and others for control, but dang thats expensive. I'll also be using a 700r4 from a 92 camaro that I'm switching over to gear drive speedometer so I can run stock speed gauge as well, so that throws some other interesting bits into the mix. Up for suggestions on ecm. That stuff is Greek to me and it seems that all the forum posts I've seen really are meant for race cars. I just want to drive across a desert and over a mountain.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Are you completely sold on the carb idea? The stock fuel injection is pretty easy to deal with, is reliable, works with stock ecu and would deal with altitude better. Just wondering before you get too far into it.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

I love the idea of using a FSJ frame. That way you get disc brakes, a stronger frame and a wider stance! The size also opens you up to a great selection of leaf springs. I know some people poo poo leaf springs, I'm not one of them. They do a really good job offroad when you factor in the simple engineering, low maintenance and toughness. They are your best choice because you do need to carry a load and be stable on the street.

Quick Reply: 56 Willys Wagon newb