Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Teaching kids the way of the LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teaching kids the way of the LS

I'm a high school auto shop teacher in the Denver region and coming back to the world of LS motors. I have had owned and modified a turbo Silverado pickup years ago but have been away from turbo cars until now.
Recently I acquired a 1986 Ford Fairmont LTD fox body and will be swapping in a 4.8/5.3/6.0-4L80E combo junkyard special to run at Bandimere on Wednesday nights.
My goal is to bring more interest from my students into the world of drag racing and have fun at the same time.
If you are local to Denver and have any junky and/or 2nd hand v8 parts sitting around, we would graciously accept those as donations with an appreciation letter for donation to a public school program.

Regards,
Jason
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

I wish my shop teacher in high school did what you are doing. The LS was only a consept back in '96 my softmore year when I tool my first auto tech class. I will gladly mail you whatever spare parts im not using anymore. Send me a PM with the mailing address.

Sy
Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Ty PM sent!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck...these kids today are a tired and lazy group of people.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!

I don't plan on changing every kid who walks through my doors but if I can just get them to think on their own just a touch, it pays huge dividends.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by megadeus
Thanks guys!

I don't plan on changing every kid who walks through my doors but if I can just get them to think on their own just a touch, it pays huge dividends.

That's cool what your doing! I started my son at 15 when he bought his first LS1 f-body. He now his three f-body's and has a small side business selling parts. Built his first motor when he was 17 which put down 435 RWHP in his 02 Camaro. Also he has been racing his high 10.0 98 SS since then.
Attached Thumbnails Teaching kids the way of the LS-007.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Still here, still doing great things with the kids.

These guys I'm working with are so used to getting everything right now! Youtube and mommy/daddy have made patience obsolete.
It's been a lesson in patience when you have to wait for the engine block to get back from the machine shop.

I had a 4.8 gen4 block given to us but a lifter had grenaded and pummeled the camshaft to death.
I sent the block and crank to the machine shop to get cleaned, new cam bearings stalled and a hone job(before I found my dingleball hone in storage.. .. darnit)
Shop calls back stating that the crank needs a 10 under regrind because of the metal debris scoring from the pissed off lifter/cam lobe. $170 just for the main bearings.. A bit steep but I guess it's what the industry has become since machine shops are far and few in between nowadays.
The quality of the regrind and cleaning are top notch and my bill was $499 for everything done.
For a podunk shop teacher like me, that killed our racing budget for the next few months until we can fund-raise some more.

Currently have an EFI-Live programmer but need to buy a VIN license for the 411 pcm I have on my desk.

If you guys watch roadkill, I ran across the guys who helped F&F build the diesel swapped cadillac. From that connection, I found a guy who had a rolled over suburban with a good engine/harness/etc and pulled that out for a nominal fee.

I think it's time I start a new thread about this build effort.

Quick Reply: Teaching kids the way of the LS