Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New LS1 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New LS1 Owner

Hello all. Bought a 2001 TA WS6 10 days ago. Was going to buy another 87 Monte SS, but my wife spoke up. She also agreed to 6-speed. Yes, I know, best wife (former '14 5.0 GT owner before baby) ever.

TA (90k mi) has had some work done, some newer and some older.
Older (30k ago):
LS6 ported heads
Huge Cam w/ 590 lift (thats all prev owner remembers)
Mid-length headers.
Frame connectors
Tune

Newer:
Long-tube stainless headers (20k ago), but backhalf of exhaust is old (single tube to flowmaster 80)
Suspension (couple k ago). Full BMR front and rear, QA1 shocks (front coilovers).
Moser 9" 3.75 gear, wavetrac
Corvette rims (275 40 17) Nitto tires

What it needs, in my opinion. window motors (thanks sticky), finished exhaust, driveshaft (next to-do), driveshaft protector thing, trans rebuild (works but synchros seem f'd for 3rd), some paint touch-ups (no concerning rust...anywhere), drivers door hinge bushings.

What I don't like...lack of idle quality, motor vibrations, tin-y pings from exhaust, loud exhaust.

What I want. I feel the motor is getting tired...lower half is stock. I want an LS3 hotcam crate motor or LS3 crate motor and swap a cam (superchevy.com article). Sand, smooth, paint/polish engine bay. New interior; currently a 7.5 out of 10 (Katskin, I'm thinking). Quieter exhaust (no stock muff, maybe silencers and high flow muff).

What I'll do. Keep reading posts on this forum and maybe ask questions if content seems aged. Any opinions on the above are welcome. I'm hesitant to get a $550 tune now since I won't have all the exact specifics on whats inside the LS1...or how much longer til it blows.

Love the car. No regrets. Doesn't float like a monte, but cuts corners and turns heads.

Thanks All!

Her first day in her new home.

Cut out is now covered...drove it home 30 miles with it open. 4-wheel alignment done after purchase...what a difference.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I myself am pretty new to the forum alot of people on here with useful information, the ride looks really clean how much did you pay for it? I am currently in the process of buying on I am getting ride of the mustangs and switching teams lol
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was impressed with how clean the body and underneath the car is...very happy. 11.5.

Quick Reply: New LS1 Owner