Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy... E36 build plan LSX Tx emm legal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy... E36 build plan LSX Tx emm legal

Hello all my LSX friends.

The closest I've been to LSX cars is the owner ship of a 2001Z06 back in 2006.. (total garage queen)..... then a 2004Z06 3 yrs ago ran as a 50/50 street / road track car.... driver events only.

I picked up a craigslist special 1999 M3 coupe as a "budget" way to get on a track (LOL).... money pit BIMMER! After sorting out the suspension with new stock stuff, and new stock brakes, and rebuilt steering..... I started to sort out a loss of power! ... figured it was the vanos...... but comp test shows 110/hole..... and 90% loss on LD test in 1st 3 holes... (I'm going to re-do the test my self when I get the car back from the shop).

So like any avg-jo bimmer enthusiast... I start to make phone calls about my BIMMER motor options:
1) spec motor shop in midwest... starts @ 10K.... with 12 wk delay.... but he really rec the race motor for another 30 hp @ $14K... says if I take care of it... should last 100 hrs!~ I'm like WTF?>.... .

2) local speed shop wants 11K for a stock rebuild with cams... and tune.... says should make 320 hp and last for a while.......

3) rebuild motor my self for a budget build...... then start to research rebuild heads..... and the price of all the accy's, timing chain, tensioner, gaskets, bad PS pump, starter, ac comp, etc....... I can rebuild the stock motor for around 4-8K.... with ?? life at the track.... and make 275HP/>......

4) junk yard motor..... ebay $1500 with 130K miles..... "sure just like the add says..... great motor.. ran when pulled! ".....

Items 1-4 bring me here! I visited Vorshlag last spring.... at their open house...... and got to see some pretty nice LS swap cars.

SO I'm going to start my LS build after November when my inspection is up for renewal. Will tear it down after I get my updated insp sticker

Plans for car:
1 - it has to be street legal, pass emmissions OBDII...... run cats, no (not ready codes).. should be easy to do in TX.
2 - I'll be searching around here for the best LSX platform to work with... and ECU, and 6 speed....... My goal is 400HP at the crank....... and stock idle drivability..... (stock vette ).. not (stock E36 LOL)..
3 - This car will be used for Driver events at COTA and MSR... and the occasional autocross w/bimmer club events.... (yeah they will not be happy with my swap)..... but I want to go fast for more than 100hr per motor

Anyway.... pardon the long intro.... but you can see my path that leads me here..... I'll use the search function so as to not make a thread for every NEWB swap ??.......

Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Vorshlag LSX swap kit ordered.

Shopping List:
Wiring Specialties harness,
A suitable LSX/T56 combo (inquire if you have something for sale)
Cat Mid-pipe setup, and catback.. suspect I need 3" (research IP)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 PM

Default Motor

Struck a deal on a 2000 ws6 ta ls and t56 complete w harness and ecu.

Quick Reply: New Guy... E36 build plan LSX Tx emm legal