Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hey there

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey there

Hello all, bought a 1998 Z28 SS. Loved Z28's all my life, and couldn't resist any longer...
Looking to learn more on free / inexpensive mods to increase HP & Torque, plan on doing a little 1/4 mile test & tuning at Mason Dixon Dragway in the next month. My SS is an Auto, without T-Top or sunroof, color is Blue, making it one of the 912 (?) Automatics, and one of the 238 that came in blue, so based on Auto/Man % split, its roughly one of 90 Blue Auto trans SS's made in 1998, with about half of those having no t-top (pretty rare). I'm more interested about performance, and running good and strong. Got the basic free mods done, and recently picked up the HP Tuners basic set up - no Wide Band... Yet.

Car is nearly 100% stock with 99k miles.
Best ET/MPH so far; 13.59 @ 102.10

Thanks!
Mike
Old 10-14-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Things like exhaust, lid, maybe a used LS6 intake, and drag radials would be a good place to start. Other little things would be a ported TB, underdrive pulley, and a ram air setup, etc...
Old 10-14-2017, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Things like exhaust, lid, maybe a used LS6 intake, and drag radials would be a good place to start. Other little things would be a ported TB, underdrive pulley, and a ram air setup, etc...
HCI2000SS,
Thanks. Was thinking along those lines. I already picked up the Dorman LS2 intake, need to do a little port clean up on it, then add a WARR 92mm TB. Have a set of Hooker L/Tubes in the garage awaiting colder weather (drag strip closing late Nov), Then will do the installs. Oh, and a OR-Y pipe... Hoping that might get me to a high 12.9.... Then in the spring will add Tires; Toyo Tq's of Hoosiers. 3.42 gear and stock converter still in place.... So room to lower ET with a good converter, right now it'd just blow the tires away. Street Kumho's getting 2.4 2.05 60' times, pwr braking to about 1300 rpm. See about loading up time slips this weekend.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-14-2017, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a great start. Other than digging into the motor or more suspension mods, it sounds like you have the basics covered
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Sounds like a great start. Other than digging into the motor or more suspension mods, it sounds like you have the basics covered
Sure hoping so... Just posted a more detailed run through in the 12-Sec Club section > Hoping to be "In it" sometime early next year after the drag strip re-opens!
Was wondering about a panhard upgrade, not thrilled with the tail wandering about... feels like my old MStang running M&H's with 12psi in em at times, other times it tracks straight and true.. Read enough that this is pretty common. Any advise / recommendations? Goal is to keep everything as stock (at least in appearance) as possible with 12 second fun a foot stomp away!
Thanks again!
Mike
Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

To hit a 12.99 you already have the parts and tire to do it. Add in a stall and 12.3-12.4 should happen
Old 10-14-2017, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bolt-on cars are going deep into the 11's now-a-days. Attention to detail, tune, stall, and a little weight reduction does it.
Got any pics...sounds like a beauty!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Bolt-on cars are going deep into the 11's now-a-days. Attention to detail, tune, stall, and a little weight reduction does it.
Got any pics...sounds like a beauty!
ragtopz28,
Not quite a beauty, clear coat peeling in a couple spots, and the nose has faded a bit so doesn't match the hood/fenders as well as it should. All future fixes... Clean, all original, and only owned it for about 6 months now. Still learning what she likes.
Want it running quicker than mid 13's for now, upper 12's by may of next year, and mid 12's or so bout a year from now. Budget is keeping me from going crazy, so trying to make well thought out buys to improve performance.

Ft. Myers, nice! Parents live in Lehigh Acres, and younger brother in Naples, where's the local drag strip down there... You know, just in case I'm in the neighborhood!
Thanks for the kinds words!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Hey there-1998_chevrolet_camaro-pic-2721640604935726033-1024x768.jpg  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyZ28SS
ragtopz28,
Not quite a beauty, clear coat peeling in a couple spots, and the nose has faded a bit so doesn't match the hood/fenders as well as it should. All future fixes... Clean, all original, and only owned it for about 6 months now. Still learning what she likes.
Want it running quicker than mid 13's for now, upper 12's by may of next year, and mid 12's or so bout a year from now. Budget is keeping me from going crazy, so trying to make well thought out buys to improve performance.

Ft. Myers, nice! Parents live in Lehigh Acres, and younger brother in Naples, where's the local drag strip down there... You know, just in case I'm in the neighborhood!
Thanks for the kinds words!
Mike
You've got the right gear...headers, stall and tune will get 12's easy.
Immokalee has a 1/8th mile - track isn't the greatest for high power cars.
Bradenton has a 1/4 and IMO is the best track in the state. Never have an issue there with the prep. Where are you located?
Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
You've got the right gear...headers, stall and tune will get 12's easy.
Immokalee has a 1/8th mile - track isn't the greatest for high power cars.
Bradenton has a 1/4 and IMO is the best track in the state. Never have an issue there with the prep. Where are you located?
ragtopz28,
I live in Waynesboro, PA. Have year round vacation access in Naples & Lehigh Acres, just east of Ft. Myers. Try to get down there at least once or twice a year.
Would need to "rent" a Camaro or something from Hertz/Avis...? To have something quick to drive/race when I'm down there next time.
Thanks for the confirmation on how easy it is to get into the 12's, just not used to a car/drivetrain that responds that well to basic bolt-on's!
Mike

Quick Reply: Hey there