Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie from MD/DC/NoVA...with a Volvo?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from MD/DC/NoVA...with a Volvo?!?

Good morning LS1Tech! I come to you from a slightly different path...swapping an LS1 into a Volvo 240. I've lurked here for a while, but my project has really kicked off this week, and I will need some help.

Why am I here? I am building a Volvo 240 for track days, and ultimately the 2020 One Lap of America. I need a mild build with rock solid reliability, as OLOA is brutally hard on a car. The car needs to be very streetable, as it will see 300-600 mile trips between tracks for about 9 straight days.

Engine and trans: '00 LS1 and T-56 from a Camaro with 80K miles. Both are stock currently.
Car: 1993 Volvo 240 wagon (I'm a wagon guy...this is my 5th)
Goals: 350-400 rwhp, as that gives me decent power for a 3k# car, but hopefully the reliability I want.

Historically, I am a BMW guy. My current track car is a 1997 M3. I love that car and plan to keep it for a long time. I've been doing track days for 16 yrs and consider VIR as my home track.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Buddy of mine has a 600 HP turbo 5.3 Volvo. He loves it.

350-400 whp with an LS1 is very easy. Completely stock with long tubes, mild cam, tune, is right in that power range.
If you're going to be road racing, spend the money on an Accusump.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Buddy of mine has a 600 HP turbo 5.3 Volvo. He loves it.

350-400 whp with an LS1 is very easy. Completely stock with long tubes, mild cam, tune, is right in that power range.
If you're going to be road racing, spend the money on an Accusump.
Thanks for the input, Joe! Exhaust is where i am a bit restricted. With the motor mounts I'm using(STS Machining), there isn't an off the shelf LT header option. I'll start out with the common Hooker cast manifolds as they are guaranteed to fit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-8501hkr . I know the shop owner made 330 rwhp with those manifolds, a fairly restrictive exhaust, and a mildly tuned n/a 5.3...so I know it can be done. I'll start a thread over in the hybrid area to discuss further.

As for oil control, I'll be using a baffled oil pan from Holley, so I hope the Accusump isn't needed. I won't know until I get an oil pressure gauge and a long high speed sweeper to test it.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

An accusump isn't terribly expensive. Get the manual valve version. Leave it shut until you're racing. I never thought I would need one until recently.

Quick Reply: Newbie from MD/DC/NoVA...with a Volvo?!?