Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New member building a 68 Amc Javelin Road race car

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member building a 68 Amc Javelin Road race car

Good afternoon guys and gals. Like the title says im building a 68 Jav for road course use (Time attack, Track days, autocross, and some street fun) Nothing seriously competitive but something that will hang with modern aero cars.

Ground up restoration. Had the whole car media blasted and swapped over to an sla tubular front suspension with Viking double adjustable coilovers, big brakes, 4 link rear, same shocks, Magnum t56 close ratio and combination of Gm truck engines.

Had a gen 4, 4.8 on and engine stand forever so i decided to go that route but ended up scoring an aluminum 5.3 block for next to nothing. Got some weisco pistons with valve reliefs so i plan on using the crank and rods from the 4.8 to have a 310(ish) cube motor after the block service. Holly sheet metal intake. Just got my heads back from Tsp, had their 2.5 cnc port service done with the over size valves and double springs, 58cc chamber. should be 11.4:1 comp. Hoping for a little over 400 wheel with some rpm. The Low trq and higher rpm power band should grip fairly well on corner exit.

Rest of the specs on the Jav are here if you guys want to check it out https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Mod-Track-Car . Look forward to learning from you guys! Cheers

Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Sorry, located in good ole Saginaw Mi.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Seriously cool project. There are a couple of cool CAM-T cars around our area, but not many, some Chevelle's, Challengers, Mustang, etc. Looks like you aren't sparing too much expense... stuff starts to add up quickly.

When do you plan to have it on the road? Looking forward to seeing this around.

FYI AutoX my car in CAM-C in Detroit region, but attend some Saginaw region events as well. If you post this in the swap section it will get more views.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Seriously cool project. There are a couple of cool CAM-T cars around our area, but not many, some Chevelle's, Challengers, Mustang, etc. Looks like you aren't sparing too much expense... stuff starts to add up quickly.

When do you plan to have it on the road? Looking forward to seeing this around.
Thanks brother and you’re definitely not wrong with the expense. Resto mod/pro touring suspension setups are so damn expensive let alone finding one for an Amc.

I hope to have it driveable by by end of this summer.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Motivation this time of year is hard to come by... at least for me. I've got some work and a couple parts to install on my car, but nothing like you have going on.

When spring comes make sure to come to some AutoX events to get a motivational boost! Depends on if running out of money or working on the car is the limiting factor! I don't know if track days or AutoX is your main motivation. I don't do track days just because of expense of tires and brakes and I like the competition of AutoX.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
When spring comes make sure to come to some AutoX events to get a motivational boost! Depends on if running out of money or working on the car is the limiting factor! I don't know if track days or AutoX is your main motivation. I don't do track days just because of expense of tires and brakes and I like the competition of AutoX.
Oh for sure that is the best way to get motivated 100%. Definitely ran out of money lol waiting on that tax return now. Slightly stressing, got a 3 year old and a baby due in June so I’d be lying if it wasn’t going to be an added expense. No worry’s though we always figure out a way to continue our passions!!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn0331

Oh for sure that is the best way to get motivated 100%. Definitely ran out of money lol waiting on that tax return now. Slightly stressing, got a 3 year old and a baby due in June so I’d be lying if it wasn’t going to be an added expense. No worry’s though we always figure out a way to continue our passions!!
Sorry to break it to you... they don't get any cheaper. One in college another starting next year, but it serves as an excuse to buy more cars Except they hit stuff and those cars break regularly.

You just have to prioritize your parts purchases now... maybe look for used AMC pro-touring parts (ah yeah). Anyway, stop by an AutoX and I'll give you a ride.