Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie In Fresno Kommiefornia

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie In Fresno Kommiefornia

Newbie in Fresno
Just about to get a real education in LS engines.
I have a Frankensteined 72 Blazer frame, cab off project that will ultimately have a regular 72 cab and a flatbed running a stroked LS power plant with 1-ton axles.
I am reading everything I can find to have a fighting chance at getting it right the first time, lol.
These LS engines are pretty amazing compared to the powerplants I grew up with.
I hope to get 409 c.i. from a 6.0 block, everything else is a great big ? right now.
I am leaning towards the rectangular ports just because of the flow volumes, I am not sure yet what kind of compression I can go with and still run pump fuel?
Then the cam, it all has to work with the CNC ported heads.
I have a lot to figure out yet but I am open to listening to anyone that has been there before me too.
I do not like learning all my lessons the hard way, lmao
Old 02-22-2021, 06:13 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Welcome aboard BB!
The following users liked this post:
Bucky B (02-27-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Thank You, kind of a shy crowd here, lol.
Cant blame them, kind of like the new kid in elementary school, you need to make sure he doesnt eat buggers before you become his friend, lmao
Old 02-26-2021, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. I'm new here myself. I live just south of you in Visalia.
Bucky B (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Are you very familiar with the LS powerplants?
I am a long-time diesel and heavy equip. mechanic.
I am mainly looking to find easy ways to make midrange useable daily driver power in a 6.0 build.
It will probably never go to the high-top-end RPMs.
Right now I am thinking about taking it to a 4" stroke, 823 heads that have been CNC ported and blended.
I have ZERO ideas on pistons, compression, or cam.
I'm leaning towards 10.7:1 area on compression but not sure how to get there, shave the heads, weld up the chambers, or dome pistons with valve recesses?
I do not see too many people using dome pistons as we did in the old days.
I haven't been able to find the max compression that will run on pump gas without issues.
I'm building a fully boxed 72 Blazer frame w/ 1 ton axles, 6.0 about 409 c.i., 4L80E, 203/205 doubler transfer, with a reg 72 p/u cab and a flatbed.
Do you have any projects going on?
Old 02-27-2021, 07:54 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Double B, get out into the forums and ask questions. Not much traffic here in intros. I’d go into Gen3 internal and ask the questions concerning head and cam choice. You’ll get a ton of traffic over there. Really cool build you have going on!
Bucky B (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucky B
Are you very familiar with the LS powerplants?
I am a long-time diesel and heavy equip. mechanic.
I am mainly looking to find easy ways to make midrange useable daily driver power in a 6.0 build.
It will probably never go to the high-top-end RPMs.
Right now I am thinking about taking it to a 4" stroke, 823 heads that have been CNC ported and blended.
I have ZERO ideas on pistons, compression, or cam.
I'm leaning towards 10.7:1 area on compression but not sure how to get there, shave the heads, weld up the chambers, or dome pistons with valve recesses?
I do not see too many people using dome pistons as we did in the old days.
I haven't been able to find the max compression that will run on pump gas without issues.
I'm building a fully boxed 72 Blazer frame w/ 1 ton axles, 6.0 about 409 c.i., 4L80E, 203/205 doubler transfer, with a reg 72 p/u cab and a flatbed.
Do you have any projects going on?
I don't have much experience with the LS platform other than what I've done with my own engine over the past couple weekends. I know carbureted SBC/BBC engines inside and out but I am learning a lot as I go. I keep coming back here and checking the forums for answers. So far I haven't had anything that I couldn't find answers for. My project is a 42 Buick Convertible. I had a 350 in it but its time for a new heartbeat. Bought a 6.0 from a wrecked Caprice. Good luck with your build!
Bucky B (03-01-2021)