Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Import Driver acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet cars meatfoam.. nice name too haha those Jettas are pretty cool i just cannot fit inside it.. my head hits the ceiling in every seat in the car.. but i'd take the ss

smokey ss : no it means i have a cam gear (~2 degrees advanced) .. an underdrive pulley on my car... is a questionable mod.. pulleys at all are questionable.. especially since i have a relatively large audio system i dunno if my alternator would be up to the task of spinnin a smaller wheel .. and i dont really wanna upgrade all that for 2 whp.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
$100 a month? $450 in 6 months?? you're all damn lucky you don't live here in NJ. For my 02 Ram Air, plus my 05 Colorado, I pay $350 for 9months, for over $3100 per year. That's including being on a family insurance, long time customers, multiple vehicle discount, and the TA being listed as a 'pleasure vehicle'. This is by far the worst state in the nation for insurance.
Ain't it the truth!! The northern part of the state is even worse (especially near Newark/Essex County). I am over 50, have a now clean record (only one windshield claim in the last 6 years), base Z28, and I pay over $1100.00 every 6 months, with high deductables on collision and comp. This is after shopping for the cheapest I could find!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Teching In

wowwww daily driver thats crazy.. just out of curiosity.. do you know what minimum wage is where you live?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome! I like imports there alot of nice ones and fast ones. My best friend drives a Del Sol and its Turboed. Its only a D16z6 engine so hes car with turbo is barely just over my v6 rwhp. Still...pretty badass.

Yeah we dont like ricers......even domestic cars can be rice not only imports.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by EvntHrizn66
sweet cars meatfoam.. nice name too haha those Jettas are pretty cool i just cannot fit inside it.. my head hits the ceiling in every seat in the car.. but i'd take the ss

smokey ss : no it means i have a cam gear (~2 degrees advanced) .. an underdrive pulley on my car... is a questionable mod.. pulleys at all are questionable.. especially since i have a relatively large audio system i dunno if my alternator would be up to the task of spinnin a smaller wheel .. and i dont really wanna upgrade all that for 2 whp.

You can always get an over drive pully for the altenator.
Capacitors help also.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:06 AM
NKAWTG...N

EvntHrizn66 just so you know our max signature size is 500x150. So besides that welcome to the site. I am a member on a bunch of import sites and I just like to read.

Keep your friends close...keep your enemies closer.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

We do not mind imports here, just no ricers

Your car looks clean and tasteful. I own an '05 Civic for my wife's college car, and the other site owner has a Civic and an Acura for daily-drivers.

Of course, those aren't listed in our signatures haha.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got tons of friends with 4 cyls, people like different things. we all have one thing in common, we love cars. we dont care who comes here as long as they are respectful and realistic lol. for the most part, all of us respect cars, 4 cyl, 6, 8, i dont care if i dont like it. if you took your time to do it and you like it, that is all that matters. welcome
Old 12-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Very clean looking car!
My daughter drives a bone stock '88 CRXsi and I still claim her...
Truth be told, it's a lot of fun to rip in the twisties!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EvntHrizn66
wowwww daily driver thats crazy.. just out of curiosity.. do you know what minimum wage is where you live?
It's the same as the rest of the country. If you mean what is the usual lowest wage paid to anyone in my area I would say about 10.00/hr. This is not even approaching what it takes to even survive in the metro NYC area. Probably next to Tokyo, this is the most expensive place to live on this globe. There should be signs 150 miles out, on all roads leading into this area stating, "If you don't/are not going to make at least $150K/yr., don't even think about living here!!". That being said, the insurance rates (rapes?) probably have less to do with the standard/cost of living (except for what the body shops charge around here) and more to do with the Newark/Essex Co. area being the auto theft/carjacking center of the universe (or at least it was in the recent past). Of course, even when those stats drop, the insurance co.s keep the rates high (or double them every 2 years!!).

Last edited by dailydriver; 12-27-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Couldn't go import myself, my DD is a cavalier with a 5 spd and 140 hp, it works, still fun, the Z is in hibernation up here in the great north. Welcome to the site, its nice to see younger people getting interested in american muscle. As for the insurance up here in Mi, 29, no points, paying $230/mo for both cars in the summer that's with all the discounts including the Z being a pleasure vehicle. In the winter, it drops to $120 for both. Only good thing about winter, lol.

Welcome again.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Teching In

hey guys thanks again for all the respectful comments and welcomes.

I dont even think they make overdrive pulleys for my car. the f23 (98-02 accord 4 banger non-ulev) has almost 0 aftermarket support except a few turbo kits and cam gears.
So if i want camshaft or pistons, i have to get almost every part custom fab.. and camshafts are all regrinds.. non from a stock shaft.

daily driver : Yea minimum wage here in the midwest is i think 5.15 or 5.25 / hr. but yea remind me not to move to the northeast haha thanks for the pointers on the 150k a year thing

Stoleit : im guessing there is a thread somewhere on how to resize my sig pic.. i'll try to hunt it down tomorrow morning / afternoon. thanks , sorry about that

sphpkr : yea man thats one thing that i honestly like about my fat assed accord is that it actually handles very very well. A friend of mine who had a 94 z28 and a sweet 99 t/a got the crap scared out of him when i took a turn the way i did a while back ..haha.

Another thing i dont know how exactly to explain this.. but something i like about my car is i can 100% of its power at all times (because it has as i said earlier 127.9 fwhp !! ) and it makes it very very fun to drive. So for now it'll do. and i'll probly keep it as a DD after i get a ws6 or an SS

Nine Ball : thanks bro, yea those civics are pretty nice.. but i just am a bit cramped on the inside of them.. (thus the accord).

Ws6firebirdTA00: yea dude you know i really do not understand it seems like a bunch of people immediately do not respect a car based on which country the execs. live in.. my accord was assembled in ohio and that plant provides like a bunch of jobs for the community so that helped justify the import purchase haha.. I am very impressed with everyone on here they all seem to be very cool.. unlike a bunch of people on big import sites can be major *** holes.

Thanks again ladies and gents.
-brandon
Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 AM
Teching In

orange terror : how could anyone not be interested in muscle cars? It confuses me to even consider that ? ? ? Muscle rocks. Bein from oklahoma i see WAY more muscle cars around than i do imports and that is A O.K.A.Y.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know, but just seems like the generation behind mine which is yours I think is more import oriented. Maybe its because they are readily available, I'm not sure. suppose we could put some of the blame on the big 3 for not giving them many options.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think it is because they can be had cheaper and fast and the furious made it seem like they are cheap and easy to make beat our cars, which is not the case
Old 12-28-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, fast and furious was fun to watch, but to make one of those cars run 10's like they talk about in the movie would cost an insane amount of money compared to an lsx powered vehicle. So yeah, that movie didn't help us out any, but that's ok, just more rice I can burn, lol.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

all the girls around here think the hondas are the fastest. i find that quite funny. yes there are a few fast ones but that doesnt mean they are all fast lol
Old 12-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Teching In

yea the only car that you can really make relatively fast for relatively cheap is probly a DSM (Eclipse / Talon) or maybe a civic hatch with a swap. But then on the domestic side there is that damn 5.slow which i really do not like and there are 50 million of them around here. (commonly referred to as a S**T box). That actually can be fast with not very much money.. but yeah. insurance and running costs are the only things that i know of that imports have going for them. (by running costs i mean its generally cheaper for replacement parts than z28 or ws6 cuz of availability and labor )

and as for girls thinking hondas are the fastest... we probly shouldn't try to decide why they think that. haha
Old 12-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Teching In

yea orange terror definitely i think the big 3 have kinda F.U.B.A.R. the situation with chevy no more makey camaro and pontiac not making affordable muscle (affordable to us college kids anyways which is like.. 92 grand am). Actually (Blasphemy alert ford is the cheapest power around these parts with the ole' 5.0 and the 2 generation ago mustangs. but yea i haven't liked ford because of bad past experiences.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

the ls1 is pretty cheap to make fast, 450 rwhp range for an ls1 is a lot cheaper than that for a ford from what i know. but its still expensive once you shoot for low 10's and under