Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LS1 in a 1967 camaro swap help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LS1 in a 1967 camaro swap help.

Whats going on everyone, a buddy of mine was telling me about this cite and i have read some verry verry good information. I am going to be atempting an LS1 swap in a 67 camaro. I am thinking about going with one of those magic stick 4 cams and some kind of heads, i am not sure on the ones to use. My original plans for the car was to put a big block and try and make 700 horses. Now i am for sure going to go with the LS1/t-56 speed combo. Does anyone have any tips or know of any tricks i will need to know. I am also going to go with one of those TCI front subframes unless i could bet buy with doing something to my original one and get the same performance out of it. Thank you and i hope to get some info from the people who know about these motors and engine swaps.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out AFR air flow research there one of the sponsors here and they can help you get the heads you need..
Old 09-06-2006, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Welcome,,, sounds like a fun build.... can't wait to see pics as you progress
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the board. LS1`s fit quite nicely in a first gen camaro. There is a lot of info out there and on this board to help you along. You need to check out the conversions and hybrid section. Also, there is a company called ATS that specializes in LS1 conversions into first gens. There is another called Detroit Speed that has some great products as well. Your stock frame, unless damaged, is plenty frame for your car. Do not go with the TCI frame. It`s a drag only frame. Your welcome to pm me any time with questions on your conversion. I have a 67 and a 69 camaro as well. The 69 is getting a LS1.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Awesome guys, thanx for the heads up. I hope to get some pictures up as the build comes along. So the TCI isnt a good way to go? I talked to them direct yesterday and you could buy pretty much a whole frame (front and back subframe along with the subframe connectors) minus the rear dif. but i have 12 bolt posi with 4:10 gears i am going to use. If i went that route i could build a whole rolling chassis and set the motor and trans in do all the plumbing while my car is in the body shop. But if i could get by and use my original frame and still be able to get the same kind of handeling for cheaper then i would definatly go that route so then i could put more money in the motor.

P.S. If anyone knows of anyone who would be interested in buying a bad a$$ 1964 el camino that is pretty much done with an awesome paint job (around 11K in just the paint and body work) it has a small block with a M-21 4speed. I also have a 1970 Monte Carlo it is suposed to be a SS car but i am not sure. I have pictures if anyone would like to check eather one out.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the site Jon,

Several of us on this site have transplanted LSX engines into 67-69 Camaros. You will find tons of info in this forum:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/

You can also use the search feature to find valuable info for the swap, if the search button isn't acting up (haha). The Search button is located at the top of the screen, on the pull-down menu bar.

Tony
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to say thanx again everyone this web cite is going to help me big time with my build and will save me some sleepless night