Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New 99z28 in Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 99z28 in Indiana

Hi all -

My name is Erik. Just joined the LS1 world about a month ago when I saw a beautiful silver/gold (I waver on what color I think it is) 99 z28 up for sale in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. I am quite a ways from Florida but made the trip and drove it 20 hours back up north to Indiana for it's first winter

This is overlooking the annoying problems I had when I got the car. Price was too good to be true (4600!) and I knew it but luckily, all the problems that come up are minor rather than drivetrain. Wiper motor, windows (curse these things, but now I see it was a rather common problem - still not perfect), a fuse or two needed replacement, etc. Sadly, I was in a time crunch and had to pay a shop to do this... being from out of state and obviously desperate, they reemed me for about a grand somehow.

Had a completely blown rear passenger shock so I replaced the rears with Bilsteins. Ah, much nicer.

Other than that, a lid and welded in subframes. STB on the way (car has been poked

It has the 3.23 gears which I'm glad to have as a starting point instead of 2.73s.

Got it to pass emmissions and won't need another test until 2008! Most likely I'll sell it before that next test because I'm not going to undo all the modding work that's sure to come.

Also, high high miles! 155k and 10k of those are mine from the last 8 weeks + 1400 mile drive home!

Honestly, I'm a little surprised to be here or to own the car as I don't like the body style of that many f-bodies. Horror. I know. But this one was just understated and sleek and said, "Hey, Erik, sell the muscle car and buy me. I'll treat you right and we'll have some fun together."

Car is very lively. I would guess tuned (bought from a dealer auction) or a factory freak. I haven't had other LS1s so maybe this is just the magic of the design. My comparison is a muscle car with over 400 at the wheels and more gear, stall, compression so to impress me takes some grunt and this baby seems to have it.

Every car I've had up until now has sound like hell unleashed whether idling, cruising at 10mph, or mashing the pedal. I like the sound of a good built engine with headers but think I might see what I can do with all bolt ons minus exhaust until this engine cries uncle For whatever reason, I'm not looking forward to Dr. Gas xpiping and throwing headers on this ride. Maybe I'll build a sleeper (of sorts, I mean, it does say z28).

I have sworn to wait until Spring and the successful launch of a new business to start modding, but find myself looking for ported throttle bodies or good deals on LCAs or whatever I have my mind on regarding the car about 10x per day in the parts for sale section. Converter will obviously be next

~Erik
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Welcome to the site. What part of Indiana are you from? Have any pics of the car? I said the same thing about waiting until the next year to mod my car when I got it and that didn't happen so good luck there, lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

What part of Indiana are you from? I live on the west side of indianapolis.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome!! south side of indianapolis here.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats on the ride. i would say that it is light pewter metallic, fyi. anyway, we'd like to see some pix of the beast!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Haha, light pewter metallic, that's the description I've been looking for! Sounds right on the money.

I'll get some photos if possible.

I travel to see family back home in NW Indiana close to Michigan City often and then live up in the Broadripple area with my brother.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome, and congrats on the new car. What did you have prior to this Z?