Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

One of Many Lifelong Car Projects

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of Many Lifelong Car Projects

Hello. I'm a new guy to the site. I really like all of the buildups, and info on your site. Lots of good tech, and excellent fabrication. Well my project that will probably never be done is a 51 Chevy 5 window pickup. I have wanted this truck for like 12 years, as my uncle bought it with hopes of restoring it. Well nothing was really done to it at all during that time. He asked me if I wanted to buy it, and so now I am the owner. Anway, my plans are always changing for this thing. I got the straight six, Chevy 235 running good, and replaced the old wires. Then got sick of not really the engine, but the gearing. So I tossed around all kinds of ideas on what to do with it from a hotrod six, to a diesel engine. This this site helped me decide on an LS style engine. I picked up a 2004 Vortec truck engine, and a rebuild 700R4, and all kinds of other bits and pieces. At this time, (plans are always changing) my current plan is to keep the straight axle, and I will be adding power steering to it. For the engine, I am going to be a little different from everyone else, as I will be going carbed. Don't hate me. I already am aware of the benefits, but this is not just a bolt on an adaptor plate and drop in the engine, and I need to keep it simple as I can for now. Once everything else is done, I can do a FI swap if I am not happy with what I've got. Everything is going to be reengineered with this swap. I will be changing the steering box/column, engine/tranny, disc brakes, rewire, new rearend, interior. Everything will need to be gone through. Anyway, its a fun project, and one of many. Obviously things will change and it will be a big learing experience. But that's the fun of it. Once I get some done on it, I will have to do a project update. Things move a little slow though with work, a two year old, and one on the way. Anyway, I am glad I found this site.