Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

NEW! 300zx to a Formula..big change!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm578
Welcome...the 300 looked very nice and was tastefully done.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you gotta lose the SS wheels, they do not look right at all on your car.
thanks for the comment about the 300. Even though I drove an import...I stayed as far away as possible from doing any ricer bullshit to it.

I personally think the SS wheels look good on the car.....others like them too. Either way i don't have the money to get a differ set. plus they have new tires wrapped around them.

i'll try and post some better pics with natural lighting so ya'll can see how they really look

EDIT: previous owner bought the car when it had ugly 97 Z28 wheels on it. He got a good deal on the SS wheels and they look much better IMO
Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Teching In

hey, welcome.. 300zx's are a cool little car. i have a 90 TT and love it..

Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the 300zx, and the JDM bumper on the white one looks great.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Welcome. I had a 1995 Twin Turbo Z32. And actually used to run a Z32 parts business online a couple of years ago. Great cars, but they are a nightmare to work on under the hood.

Hope the LT1 lives up to your expectations, I miss my 95 M6 Formula sometimes.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wanted a 300zxtt so bad, but the t/a just popped up at a dealership and i feel in love w/ it ending my search for the tt, i kinda regret it though, i'd probably give it up for a clean tt w/ low miles, cant seem to find one
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 AM

^ very beautiful aztec red you've got there! Are you by any chance a member on 300zxclub.com or twinturbo.net?

haha there are more people than i expected on here that know alot about the Z32 300zx. I really don't know what the future holds right now, but I may eventually wind up with a TT Z32. I don't regret selling my Z (yet lol)...but if i start making enough money soon, i might go back to the Z car. like i said before...i wanted something that is faster and at the same time easier/cheaper to work on. I feel i made a smart decision and went with an F-body rather than going into debt after buying a twin turbo 300zx.

don't get me wrong, they are very reliable platforms....its just the fact that old cars do break including f-body's...

a great example: a set of 8 injectors for the LT1 motor will run you roughly $300. a set of 6 injectors for a 300zx will run roughly $700. thats just one example of the dramatic cost differences associated between the cars. 300zx's are much more rare, so prices for parts and mods are considerably more expensive.

lol i don't wanna annoy anyone for constantly talking about the Z car....but thats the community i've been involved with for the last 4 years so i can't help it! i'm sure i already said this...heh but the 1991 300zx twin turbo gave a 1991 Corvette a run for its money.

lol hope i dont get banned for this!

Last edited by SumGuyFromTX86; 12-04-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice to know the stats =)
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

^the 300zx absoultely dominated the C4 Vette IMO. If you gave me a C4 Vette, I'd turn around and sell it for a 300zx.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 AM
12 Second Club

good choice with the f bodies...good luck with the #8 sparkplug on the lt1 and keep an extra opti handi...and if you want mods...lol then post up..lots of knowledge here !!! other than that..WELCOME ABOARD!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice formula, we'll see you over in the lt1 section.

That 300zx was clean, they happen to be 1 of 3 imports I would actually want to own.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the site. Funny, but a black on black TT 300ZX was my motivation during college to get my engineering degree. I had a poster of one above my desk, seemed like an affordable 'exotic' at the time. When I finished in 98, they weren't sold anymore. So, I bought a 98 Formula and never looked back
Old 12-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SumGuyFromTX86
thanks for the comment about the 300. Even though I drove an import...I stayed as far away as possible from doing any ricer bullshit to it.

I personally think the SS wheels look good on the car.....others like them too. Either way i don't have the money to get a differ set. plus they have new tires wrapped around them.

i'll try and post some better pics with natural lighting so ya'll can see how they really look

EDIT: previous owner bought the car when it had ugly 97 Z28 wheels on it. He got a good deal on the SS wheels and they look much better IMO
I would be curious to see some daylight pics...and I am sure they look different in person too.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Teching In

^ very beautiful aztec red you've got there! Are you by any chance a member on 300zxclub.com or twinturbo.net?
you know.. i don't really surf those pages.. i should due to the car is getting up in age and starting to **** me off a little.. right now i'm dealing with a injector wiring bug.. the car starts missing, like it's dropping a cyl and you get under the miss with the harness and she clears up..

tell me about the cost.. i had the motor built about 5 years ago (standard bore and pistons nothing crazy) and did the bolt on stuff (turbos, injector, wolf chip, stillen flywheel, clutch, pre-cat downpipe mod and stillen mid pipes) also a boost control.. it cost me a ton, but she's a fun car to drive..
Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 PM

what do you mean by get "under the harness"? Is it just the wiring thats needing to be replaced or the actual injector? I thought I had another injector go out on my Z...and after messing around with the wiring harness I reallized that was the culprit...saved me $$!!

TransAm578 what would you think if i painted the SS wheels a gunmetal color? I saw a black TA picture earlier with them painted like that and thought it looked alright.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Launching!

what do you mean by get "under the harness"? Is it just the wiring thats needing to be replaced or the actual injector? I thought I had another injector go out on my Z...and after messing around with the wiring harness I reallized that was the culprit...saved me $$!!

TransAm578 what would you think if i painted the SS wheels a gunmetal color? I saw a black TA picture earlier with them painted like that and thought it looked alright.
I love gunmetal wheels, especially on a black car! It is worth a try imo.

I don't know what your budget consists of, but Tomzwheels (a sponsor here) has great deals on wheels. You don't see many of the '93 to '97 Firebirds with non factory wheels.

Get some of those pics in the daylight though!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man i wouldve traded that NON turboed z00zx for an lt1 any day of the week...nice trade man...

I love every aspect of the 300zx EXCEPT for the front end...i absolutely hate those lights and that front bumper, kills the good looks of the car...

On a related note, i got to run a modded TT one when i first got the trans am a while back, didnt even know he was running me till i heard his turbo spool up as he was about a car behind me (it was that loud that i heard it as he was a car back) and i was about a car and a half in front of him till about 130 when i shut it down....

He had no torque....

Congrats on the lt1 man...
Old 12-08-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Talk to Sam Strano. He's a sponsor on here and is the suspension whiz on this board. He'll point you in the right direction on modding the suspension, because there are some pretty useless products you can **** your money away on.

Welcome to the board, and remeber search is your friend.
Exactly! Also don't think about the KYB's. Koni SA's are the way to go!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the forums! The 300ZX is my favorite Nissan by far, yours looked very clean! Congrats!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by arioch
man i wouldve traded that NON turboed z00zx for an lt1 any day of the week...nice trade man...

I love every aspect of the 300zx EXCEPT for the front end...i absolutely hate those lights and that front bumper, kills the good looks of the car...

On a related note, i got to run a modded TT one when i first got the trans am a while back, didnt even know he was running me till i heard his turbo spool up as he was about a car behind me (it was that loud that i heard it as he was a car back) and i was about a car and a half in front of him till about 130 when i shut it down....

He had no torque....

Congrats on the lt1 man...
Which front end are you talking about? The one I had on their or the original 1990-1996 bumper? They quit selling the 300zx in the US back in 1996...but continued it in Japan until 2001. The bumper on my car in the pic is the 1999 bumper...thats the year they made a couple changes to the look of the car.

What mods do you have done to your LS1? A well modded TT combined with a good driver would kill any stock LS1. My ex drives an '02 WS6, I was driving her car racing my buddies modded TT...he raped the WS6
Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which front end are you talking about? The one I had on their or the original 1990-1996 bumper? They quit selling the 300zx in the US back in 1996...but continued it in Japan until 2001. The bumper on my car in the pic is the 1999 bumper...thats the year they made a couple changes to the look of the car.

What mods do you have done to your LS1? A well modded TT combined with a good driver would kill any stock LS1. My ex drives an '02 WS6, I was driving her car racing my buddies modded TT...he raped the WS6
ehh its more the entire front end that kills the car for me, although the bumper you had on yours does improve the looks drastically....the profile and back are just so sexy tho, the front lights just kill it for me...

At the time of this race i had my girlfriend in the car (120lbs extra) and all i had done was a K & N filter, hadnt even put on my MTI lid yet, which is why i was surprised he couldnt catch me, he was starting to SLOWLY pull at around 90 or so, but i had already got about 1 car on him while his turbo was spooling....sounded like a big turbo tho... maybe he needed the driver mod...