Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Any Iraq vets here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elcaballoloco
Officer right?....most likely a Marine too?
probaly an officer...... but what's wrong with marines...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Nothing, I regret not joining the Marines. You look at the Marines compared to the Army...the have more pride, more respect, they are proper...that's something you would see on a daily basis around a Marine camp, but definitely not on an Army post.
Marines are outspoken and against the general flow without being ******, even though they may be a lil cocky (good reason to be), and thats why I would put him as a Marine. It's just a guess though, you don't know anybody on the internet.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Launching!

It's not Al Asad and it's not Balad. I've been to iraq twice.

It looks like Afghanistan to me. That is a marine in the pic. Marines are primarily in the west where Al Asad is.

Anyway that's my .02
Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Nothing, I regret not joining the Marines. You look at the Marines compared to the Army...the have more pride, more respect, they are proper...that's something you would see on a daily basis around a Marine camp, but definitely not on an Army post.
Marines are outspoken and against the general flow without being ******, even though they may be a lil cocky (good reason to be), and thats why I would put him as a Marine. It's just a guess though, you don't know anybody on the internet.
Just because you were in a pogue unit and a Marine wannabe doesn't mean you can make broad generalizations about the Army because you have a biased opinion.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys. Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. Everyone relax and have a good weekend
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm not even going to continue this discussion...its just another argument of peoples opinions, there's no better or worse.

I go on terminal on July 4th and am done with igonorance of our Army. George W. Bush is not my president.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

....lol

I'm not even going to continue this discussion...its just another argument of peoples opinions, there's no better or worse.

I go on terminal on July 4th and am done with igonorance of our Army. George W. Bush is not my president.
amen to terminal.....
Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I go on terminal on July 4th
What a perfect day to start terminal. happy independence day for sure.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Yeah because nobody knows we have people in Iraq and nobody knows where in Iraq we are.

OPSEC is all good and all but theres no secrecy in where our guys are in the Iraq war.
There is a reason why they don't allow people to take pictures near the flight line. But, the point is it seems like people are more concerned about having a cool picture to put on their myspace than OPSEC.

Officer right?....most likely a Marine too?
Sgt in the Marine Corps.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Visit an Army airborne infantry or Ranger unit sometime.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Former Marine Sgt here and 2-time Iraq Vet. That tower is definately in Balad. I HAD a camera with a pic of it but it got..well damaged. It's definately not BIAP, Al Assad or Taquadum (TQ). Semper Fi!

Swat
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSuperchargedLS1
There is a reason why they don't allow people to take pictures near the flight line.
Yeah but that didnt appear to be close to the actual line anyway.

Originally Posted by BlackSuperchargedLS1
But, the point is it seems like people are more concerned about having a cool picture to put on their myspace than OPSEC.
That I will agree on but what do you expect with all the technology we have now, digital pics, email, myspace all make it too easy to send out **** and sometimes the wrong **** gets sent.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Launching!

OPSEC is becoming more and more of a grey area these days. it's one thing to take pictures while you're out patrolling or something, i mean **** we're not ninjas.

but do you see him posting the picture saying "hey this was mission xxx where we patrolled street xxx to block xxx, these were our numbers, this was what gear we had..." you get the point.

and what was said before, there are Iraqi people inside our bases, whether they are contractors or interpreters. if you think they don't already know what our **** looks like, you need to deploy again (or if you haven't yet, go a first time)
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

And BTW that is a pic of Balad air base no doubt.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
and what was said before, there are Iraqi people inside our bases, whether they are contractors or interpreters. if you think they don't already know what our **** looks like, you need to deploy again (or if you haven't yet, go a first time)
EXACTLY! I am an Air Force SSGT (E-5) Security Forces. I was deployed to Victory/Liberty for 365 days training IP's. We had interpreters all over the place, going to our chow halls, gyms, etc. On top of that the Iraqi Army was cruising around inside the wire in their hummers...they are corrupt and if you think they dont know what we have then you are naive! Seriously! However I do believe that we should not give them any more than they already know...make them work for it dont hand it to them on a silver platter! Be smart about ****. Back to the original topic, I know that is not BIAP (Baghdad International Airport). I cant say if it is balad or not because I never went outside of Baghdad.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

BALAD AIR BASE, IRAQ -- Lightning strikes here Jan. 11 over the control tower. Lightning storms are a common occurrence during the rainy season in Iraq. (U.S. Air Force photo by Master Sgt. Lance Cheung)
Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Army SSG here, as far as the opsec argument goes well it seems kinda pointless when deployment statuses and operations can be tracked on the web from a multitude of websites, but as far as actual ops go it is vital. I have had to many raids go down where CNN showed up before we did...
As far as the poster who wants to be a marine, well then go join up, its called an interservice transfer, Also what is your MOS? Im 11c, and I have seen tankers and B's that would impress you to no end. It does seem that anyone outside of combat arms is a civilian collecting an army paycheck dosent it?
Stay Cav!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Army SSG here, as far as the opsec argument goes well it seems kinda pointless when deployment statuses and operations can be tracked on the web from a multitude of websites, but as far as actual ops go it is vital. I have had to many raids go down where CNN showed up before we did...
As far as the poster who wants to be a marine, well then go join up, its called an interservice transfer, Also what is your MOS? Im 11c, and I have seen tankers and B's that would impress you to no end. It does seem that anyone outside of combat arms is a civilian collecting an army paycheck dosent it?
Stay Cav!
really? now. you shouldn't have been so dumb to make a statement like that now.

Im former Administration. also served as a Gunner on hummers many a time. did street patrols did searches. ect ect. only difference i noticed.....was combat arms had lower pt scores, less common sense, did not know the meaning of stealth, or path of least resistance, do i need to go on? ok i will...
why is it i can name anyone from my s1 who EASILY can do ANY job of a 11b and yet not one of them could do ours? mabe we just had a good group of guys in the same s1 i dunno i can only vouch for us, but noone gave us crap or even thought to look down on us in our BN. silly SSG would think you would be smarter than that. then again any terd can get rank now days as-long as you stay in.

I rest my case.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER

Im former Administration. also served as a Gunner on hummers many a time. did street patrols did searches. ect ect. only difference i noticed.....was combat arms had lower pt scores, less common sense, did not know the meaning of stealth, or path of least resistance, do i need to go on? ok i will...
why is it i can name anyone from my s1 who EASILY can do ANY job of a 11b and yet not one of them could do ours? mabe we just had a good group of guys in the same s1 i dunno i can only vouch for us, but noone gave us crap or even thought to look down on us in our BN. silly SSG would think you would be smarter than that. then again any terd can get rank now days as-long as you stay in.

I rest my case.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH...wait, let me catch my breath....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

S1 now doubles a SF group these days huh?

Keep your pencil pushin *** behind a desk and leave the real work to the guys who had the guts to sign up for it.

Just taking a wild stab in the dark here, let me guess...you were PSD for your BN commander?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I know I said I would step to stage left on this one, but Jesus.

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
Just because you were in a pogue unit and a Marine wannabe doesn't mean you can make broad generalizations about the Army because you have a biased opinion.
3rd Group is not a pogue unit. I think we have a higher op tempo than any other unit in the Army right now, I dunno, maybe that's just my guess or a proven fact? Do you want to argue that 3rd SFG is a pogue unit? Marine wannabe no...and it is not a biased opinion.

Originally Posted by 325trooper
Visit an Army airborne infantry or Ranger unit sometime.
Aren't rangers just gate guards and corner watchers for CAG?

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Stay Cav!
Never said I wanted to be a Marine. I don't want to be anything anymore so why would I get an inter service transfer? I have also seen tankers, 11 series, 19ds, and many other combat arms mos' that impress me to no end. I never said that they weren't out there.

Yes, the entire military can functions on just combat arms mos' alone. Every one else just doesn't do ****. I have experienced more and learned more in my 3.5 years of service than alot of my buddies in brigade combat teams in the 82nd. But, in turn I'm just a mechanic so that means I have done nothing useful what so ever to earn my pay.

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER

I rest my case.

Now don't get me wrong, In no way am I SLAMMING or HATING on Army combat arms, or saying support units are better than combat arms units because they all pull their own weight, and their is many many guys out there actually earning their pay, but how many are not? If you can get over the one sided opinions and look at the whole picture someone may or may not agree. In 3rd group we do things in a very different way. Almost everyone is treated as equal, green beret or maroon beret and yes there are some bad apples out there that ruin that working relationship on both sides, sf and support but when there is only 10-15 guys out at a firebase and that is it, you do what you have to do, no ***** footing around, no mos', you learn everyone elses job to the best of your ability and they learn yours.

Last edited by Elcaballoloco; 06-30-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Iraq vets here?