Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Subaru Guy Coming Back!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hit up the FI section, 12g's isnt much lol

welcome.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to have an STI, just cost wise they don't make sense. AWD and good power is hard to beat though, fun and driveable year round.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of wheels are on the blue one?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the site. The sti looks awesome with the black rims. Nothing wrong with any type of car, as long as a decent person is behind the wheel!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome. I just got a WRB 03 WRX as a DD so my firebird can become more track ready. And is it just me or is the stock turbo way to small? It has half boost at 5750 rpms.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

welcome....i like the sti's.....no offense though, but the ilde clip u put up sounds like my weedwacker ....anyways welcome, and get an LS1!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drewwrxrogers
Thanks for the Welcome guys! Man...Subarus are built pretty well to be honest. There are a lot of guys making 500+whp on the stock Sti 2.5 motor with just bolt-on parts and tunes! The problem is you just never know how long they are going to last.

There are a lot of reasons to build the motor with a large turbo. The lag is more so you need more rpms to play with. Aftermarket cams let you make power all the way through and come on a lot harder! But as far as reliability goes..Subarus are just unreal. A built motor will last a long *** time even with the abuse. The stock tranny will live a long life supporting 580wtq and the Driver Control Center Diff lets you move the power from the front to the back with the roll of a dial! And as far as tunes go....You can have a 600whp daily driver that will idle smooth, run like factory, and be pretty quiet. Not to mention when your foots out of it....its just a 2.5l so gas miles add up!

But...with all the good comes bad. Prices are crazy for builds....engine bay is pretty clustered....ex: injectors take bout and hour and a half. You have to find a AWD dyno and trust me they are few and far between. And probably the biggest problem if you will.. is that the entire car is a system. The injectors must match the turbo, the intake diameter must match the inlet, the Ecu must match the mods, the intercooler must be large enough, the maf cant be maxed out, the wastegate diameter must be the right size for the application, and so on and so forth. Everything feeds off eachother. So basically you cant just bolt on say....an intake, exhaust, and turbo or the car litterally will fuel cut, not idle correctly, and boost creep....you have to litterally do everything at one time to make sure everything has what it needs to perform. Cost a lot of money and gathering of parts.

But ounce the entire list of parts are together you need and you bolt them all on and have it tuned on the dyno...you drive it off the dyno as a whole new car that feels, acts, and sounds like it did when you bought it til you put your foot into it. And unlike a honda....you will never have to touch the tune til you are ready to go to the next "stage".

And yes.....I have already called on a few kits for the LS1....just not crazy bout the undercar kit..out of my element as far as location goes. Not out of the ? though.
Sounds like a lot goes into building one of those cars, you definately have to respect that! and that AWD controller sounds tight. And yea, i dont like the idea of the under-car mount turbo either, I was looking into the Ohio Forced Inductions kit. It looked pretty straight. It'll be a while before I'm ready for that though. Good luck with it!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

clean scoobies! i want your sti aspen white is my <3 - i plan to get an sti one of these days! it's my next dream car - i found an 03 wrx for about 10gs i'm going to go look at tommorrow for a possible daily - about to make the camaro pretty radical
Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice STI! Really diggin that white one.

I would like to have a legacy GT myself.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the welcomes guys! I am excited to be here. I have a cash buyer as of this morning and a Forums guy wanting to possibly do a WS6+cash trade so I am hoping by next week sometime I will be in a LS1.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS184
welcome....i like the sti's.....no offense though, but the ilde clip u put up sounds like my weedwacker ....anyways welcome, and get an LS1!

NO offense taken. Although you are honestly the first person to tell me my car sounds like a weedwacker haha. Thats kinda the whole reason I got into Subies was the fact that they actually sounded beefy. Trust me....in person you would never mistake my car as a ricer....it sounds more like a burly, lopy, v-8. The unequal length header mixed with the boxer engine really lets All 4 of the big *** cams give it justice as it idles. But thanks for the welcome.

I'd be lieing if I told you I didn't love being laughed at by an LS1 guy at a light only to leave him scratching his head when we take off like....WTF? Element of surprise.... I did this car the right way. Now its time to do the same in the LS1 world. Can't wait.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by reject
hit up the FI section, 12g's isnt much lol

welcome.

Maybe not for you. For an average Joe with a family who works for every cent he has....it's a gob of money. And 12k was just the motor. I have receipts for the turbo kit, ECU, FMIC kit, and fuel system that total over an additional $9,000. And I don't care who you are.....$21,000 into a car for any reason is a lot of money....even more so when it's just to make it faster.

Thanks for the welcome!!! I am excited to see what I can do to an LS1 with a quater of what I spent on the Subie!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

retard, i told you you'd come around

too bad you didn't get the car sooner, i just sold the last of my parts you could've used.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

welcome to the site and clean sti.

got a couple questions for you. a friend of mine has a 07 sti with turboback, catback, intake, tune and pulley. he wants some more power but doesnt have enough cash, yet, for a bigger turbo. is there any middle ground in mods that are worth it? what about the tumbler delete? turbo inlet? have you done these mods and was there much of a difference??? thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula

got a couple questions for you. a friend of mine has a 07 sti with turboback, catback, intake, tune and pulley. he wants some more power but doesnt have enough cash, yet, for a bigger turbo. is there any middle ground in mods that are worth it? what about the tumbler delete? turbo inlet? have you done these mods and was there much of a difference??? thanks
Can't really have a turboback and a catback.
He could always do a small shot of nitrous.

Welcome to the site!!! Always thought subbies were pretty cool.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

I have a 2005 Legacy GT as my daily driver. Down/up pipes,larger top mount intercooler,and a tune were the only mods and she went 12.80@107mph. Totally stock it ran a 14.0@97mph. Nice car just wish it had the tougher 6 speed trans the STI comes with. Nice Subies to the OP
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula

Most of the stuff you mention wont help much the stock turbo is the limiting factor. An STI with the mods listed will make about 310 or so AWHP and will run mids 12's all day here. The stock turbo wont make much more power especially for the money vs HP returns. Biggest advantage that car has is from a dig it will leave on the street just about the same as the strip and would give bolt on LS1's fits on blacktop.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Launching!

those little boxes have a ton of potential as your 600hp shows(but also entirely too expensive)..... but man are they as ugly as a **** stain.... find a WS6 and turn it into a beast...welcome back.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, if you are happy with 1.5x 60' times, you should have no problem being happy here. That's not that huge. You should love what we're doing with f-bodies now.

Nice Subaru, by the way.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
retard, i told you you'd come around

too bad you didn't get the car sooner, i just sold the last of my parts you could've used.
HAHA Whats up BEN!? Ya it's about time. To bad I never got to tear into your *** haha. Glad to be in the darkside man and I will be over for the cam and intake work soon! Later man.