Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie Lexus owner converting to GM..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
You must be talking about the IS motors or the later VVT-i motors??? I'm in Austin, so the Supra/Lexus masters at Boost Logic are at the same car meets I go to and they school me about those cars
That's funny I actually sent in my original SC400 to boost logic in Austin Texas, and had in built up to handle 550whp...Like an idiot I neglected to put an additional tranny cooler on it over heated and gave up the ghost... Maybe the dumbest thing I ever did on this ride of mine.. Well putting 500lbs in the trunk and snapping my lug bolts on the rear and sending the rear wheel flying was another.....

Guys, I honestly can't speak too intellegently about the SC300's and there stock motors I appologise..l can though with the SC400's though..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-10-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by krazy4
If you have never been to the track before don't expect the greatest times either. You have an auto though which will make it a lot easier.

I thought the same thing with nitrous creating high torque. I raced all motor cars with slightly more whp than what I made on nitrous. I killed them in the torque department though. Still got beat.

Car should be sick with LS2 power. I vote to just build a heads/cam LS1 with a forged bottom end and a 200 hit.

WOW, you know exactly where I am coming from...Lots of lowend torque but not so much high end.. Like I said my car is decently fast 0-80mph but lets off some from 80-130mph under the juice... I wouldn't expect super quarter mile times as you say... I am basically limited to organised street racing on Friday nights from 0-80mph as that is my cars real strength...

Nitrous is great for torque... Really moves the car at low rpms and is instant power.....

CodySgto - That LS2 of yours sounds very nice... I am hoping to make 400whp of N/A power when I get it any day now with all the bolt on LS2 mods.. Can't wait..

Much appreciation for all the responses, much more then I expected.. You guys rock!!!!

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-10-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I can chime in on 2jz-ge's. Yeah the bottom end is tough but not nearly as tough as the gte. The GTE has different internals and tons more oil squirters. IMO if you want a monster of a JZ engine get the 2jz-gte bottom end with a ported/polished/built 1jz head. They flow much better!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Village Idiot

DeepV - The 1jz.. can be made to roll for sure...This is a real sleeper for you guys.. Basically a barely street legal Lexus with a turbo'd 1jz... Making 400whp but very light in weight is this car..

My first attempt at a link, hope it grabs.. I am hoping just maybe with my LS2 build in my Sc400 that one day I will be able to keep up with this sleeper...A pipe dream probably..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u2R5XcfBPY

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-10-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
That's funny I actually sent in my original SC400 to boost logic in Austin Texas.
Haha. Small world. Well maybe not so surprising as there can't be too many shops, really good shops anyway, that specialize in what they do. Not like finding a shop to work on an LS1; can't cross the street in Texas without seeing one.

Anyway, best of luck with your build.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I have been into Toyota's for a long time and I am an owner of a AE86 Corolla as well.I can say that yeah,Toyota's are very reliable.You can get some
very impressive performance when it come's to these cars.Especially one's with the G head engines.And YESSS,2JZ's are very expensive especially the 2JZ-GTE's.
But welcome to the site it's great
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Man, this is making me miss my MR2 SO BAD!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Village Idiot

Yeah, Toyota is reliable no dought but most of their cars of the past are not built for any kind of performance.. Built for economy and reliability mostly...The 90's Supra TT being the exception, but still even that sportscar is a bit spineless and gutless out of the blocks, atleast until those turbo's spool.. Now Nissan is probably the leader of the imports sportscar industry with their newest Nissan Skyline sportscars getting alot of praise.. Very fast even in stock form.....Again Nissan like in the past is trying to create a sportscar to keep up with the newest Vette's much like the 300zx TT and LT1 Vette's in the mid 90's...The newest Tundra trucks have some pop now too with their big 5.7L V8 motors sitting under the hood.. That's a truck though....... It's so funny how the all the import car manufactures in the last decade or so has really made an effort to compete with the Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks... All newer import trucks seem to be sporting around 300hp with their V8's... Toyota Tundra's, Nissan Titan's, etc...

The only real reason I've owned a Lexus SC400 for so long is because it is reliable and came equiped with a solid torquey V8 motor, and actually after all mods I must admit it even sounds kinda like a Camaro, and can keep up with a Vette. I guess I've always been comparing my SC400 ride to Vette's, Camaro's, and even Mustang's sometimes... Finally thinking if you can't beat the Vette's go join them (LS2)....Go figure?

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-11-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Lexus owner converting to GM..