LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Negative transaction with LPP Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009 | 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Negative transaction with LPP Parts

After reading numerous threads about the LPP headers and how well they were working for everyone, I decided to order a set to replace the 5 year old Pacesetters that I had on the car. The headers arrived quickly, but it was a couple of weeks later before I was able to get some time at a friend's garage to install them on the lift.

Several guys from my local fbody club came to lend a hand as we all work on each others cars. This would be my 8th header install on an LS1 fbody. The passenger side went in great, no problems at all. My buddy and I were trying to align the flange on the driver's side to get the bolts started. However, if we started the front 3 bolts, the back bolt did not line up and vice versa. We attempted to try several different approaches, but we eventually noticed the real issue was that the primary was squarely against the motor mount. I have urethane motor and tranny mounts in my car, so this was not an issue of sagging mounts. My Pacesetters had plenty of clearance. We pulled the header out to inspect the area making contact and it was directly on a weld where two sections of pipe came together. We discussed dimpling the tube, but we realized that it wasn't contacting in just one small spot, it was the entire height of the motor mount. So, I emailed Carl @ LPP about the issue and he suggested enlarging the bolt hole. He said if I was not comfortable with doing that to send both headers back and he'd send me a new set.

Since my car was sitting on the lift at my friend's house, I was a little pressed for time. I discussed with the crew and it came down to I didn't have time to wait for the headers to ship back and then for another set to ship to me. Also, I didn't feel that I should have to modify a set of headers that should fit out of the box. I had asked Carl if he'd take the headers back if I had enlarged the bolt hole, per his suggestion, and they still didn't fit. He told me to send the headers back and he'd send me new ones.

All of this interaction occurred over the course of several days via email since there is no phone number anywhere for LPP. A phone call would have saved much time.

Long story short, I sent the headers back due to the fact that I couldn't be sure that if he sent me a new set that they'd fit and I needed a solution quickly. I returned the headers. Apparently, Fedex delivered them to the wrong house and a week later I finally got a refund, minus $75 for a 15% restocking fee. Why should I have to pay a restocking fee on a product that did not fit as advertised? When I emailed Carl to inform him that I was returning the headers for a refund and going a different route, there was no mention of a restocking fee. Nor is there mention of it on the receipt or the LPP website.

To sum it up, it's probably the poorest experience I've had with any vendor in the 8 years that I've had my car. The product was not as expected or advertised and it cost me several weeks and $90 to conclude.

Last edited by PAGregSS; 03-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Negative transaction with LPP Parts