LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

VA Speed tune - Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK two weeks, still you did not call and talk to Shawn man to man, before you got on here and started bashing him.
I'm not saying take your car back to him to correct the tune, just talk to him before you start bashing him.
I've always know Shawn as one of the best LSX builders not one of the best LSX tuners.
There's a difference in the two. Maybe you should have done your homework first before deciding to take it there.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
However, this is:

Supposedly they tuned this, and it broke first time at the track. Again, supposedly, the full story about this will come out soon.
So much for car talk....now you want to set up another to be posted soon "teaser"

Is it me or does something stink around here?

From what I see, you calling Shawn at this point will be futile. Just to recap...

1. You get work done, it isnt right and you take it to another tuner (previous employee) to "correct" the problem.

2. You wait months to make any attempt to resolve it with them and come on here (convenient) to post your one-sided "experience".

3. Additionally, in all your to date correctness, you post up another "soon to be posted" thread of another mishap with them currently on another site.

4. And finally (and my favorite)......you expect them to refund your money?!?! WTF?

That about sum it up? If I were them at this point, I'd tell you to blow it our your ***. Go away troll.....
Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah, he's still bashing.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403
So much for car talk....now you want to set up another to be posted soon "teaser"

Is it me or does something stink around here?

From what I see, you calling Shawn at this point will be futile. Just to recap...

1. You get work done, it isnt right and you take it to another tuner (previous employee) to "correct" the problem.

2. You wait months to make any attempt to resolve it with them and come on here (convenient) to post your one-sided "experience".

3. Additionally, in all your to date correctness, you post up another "soon to be posted" thread of another mishap with them currently on another site.

4. And finally (and my favorite)......you expect them to refund your money?!?! WTF?

That about sum it up? If I were them at this point, I'd tell you to blow it our your ***. Go away troll.....
1. I got work done.

2. I take it to another tuner (2 weeks ago, and then find out it wasn't right). Shawn did the tune months ago, I found out that it was a bad tune a couple weeks ago.

3. That was just one of the few recent posts (which btw, is on this site as well) that made me have my tune checked in the first place.

4. Absolutely. If I don't receive what I pay for, I expect that I get my money back. Taking it back to them isn't going to be an option. I simply do not trust them at all.

Lastly, who's going to be tuning your car once you finally get the motor done and put in your car?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

4. Absolutely. If I don't receive what I pay for, I expect that I get my money back. Taking it back to them isn't going to be an option. I simply do not trust them at all.
Yeah, ok....lol, good luck with that

Lastly, who's going to be tuning your car once you finally get the motor done and put in your car?
Nice try....
Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, ok....lol, good luck with that

Nice try....
You never know until you try.

And that's what I thought.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

And that's what I thought.
Seriously? Ok...I'll bite. I'll type slow you can understand.

My build started at VSpeed for two reasons. Shawn and Ed. Shawn's engine building expertise and Ed's tuning expertise. Ed left, so a slight change in program direction. Do I install everything and still have Ed tune it or do I save myself a trip back to Virginia and go local? I'm paying for an engine to be built by Virginia Speed....nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this is off topic..but then again, maybe not.

A couple years ago my neighbors with whom we were good friends went through a rather nasty and acrimonious divorce after what seemed to be the perfect marraige. Both of them approached me with complaints and accusations about the other. I told them both from the start that I liked and respected both of them but that sometimes things just don't work out and I wasn't going to choose a side. I encouraged both of them to accept things for what they are and just move on.

They continued their personal assaults on each other until it just wasn't fun to be around either of them. It's really a shame. They are both good people who just couldn't let go.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I didn't take it to them to fix it. I had it set up with Ed to look at it and retune it if necessary. Besides, that's like having a contractor work on your house, do an absolute horrible job, and then let him back in your house to work more. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

I hope all this was just an honest mistake, and I hope they do right. I'll find out more tomorrow when I talk to Shawn.
Why are you posting more pictures about stuff before you call them?

Any engine company I can think of will not cover anything if it is torn down and inspected by a third party, they almost always require that you send it back to them or else the warranty is void. If the shop is reputable and there is a problem that was their fault, I've seen people get new short-blocks. I know it goes against logic and your first reaction is to never let that person touch the car again, but sometimes its your only option.

This is different as it is a tune. That might refund your money they might not, they might credit you the money to be used against something else they might not. Never the less I wish you the best. Let us know how it turns out.

But honestly I wouldn't even bother posting back here until after you call them.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 01-15-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

This thread is why I do 98% of my own work on my cars. If I make the mistake I can only blame myself and I have kicked my *** several times.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Maybe this is off topic..but then again, maybe not.

A couple years ago my neighbors with whom we were good friends went through a rather nasty and acrimonious divorce after what seemed to be the perfect marraige. Both of them approached me with complaints and accusations about the other. I told them both from the start that I liked and respected both of them but that sometimes things just don't work out and I wasn't going to choose a side. I encouraged both of them to accept things for what they are and just move on.

They continued their personal assaults on each other until it just wasn't fun to be around either of them. It's really a shame. They are both good people who just couldn't let go.
HAHA you've never been through a divorce.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seriously? Ok...I'll bite. I'll type slow you can understand.

My build started at VSpeed for two reasons. Shawn and Ed. Shawn's engine building expertise and Ed's tuning expertise. Ed left, so a slight change in program direction. Do I install everything and still have Ed tune it or do I save myself a trip back to Virginia and go local? I'm paying for an engine to be built by Virginia Speed....nothing more, nothing less.
I commend you on your build. It's going to be an awesome car for sure. I can't go back and change things, as much as some would like me to do. If someone's got a DeLorean with a working flux capacitor, please let me know. Otherwise, what's done is done.

I think it's come to the point where we are going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to continue with this epeen contest. It shouldn't have gone this far in the first place. For that I'm sorry.

Everyone has their own opinion about what should have been done first etc. etc. This was started as just an information thread. Regardless, it is what it is.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
HAHA you've never been through a divorce.
Lol...dont poke the beast!

I commend you on your build. It's going to be an awesome car for sure. I can't go back and change things, as much as some would like me to do. If someone's got a DeLorean with a working flux capacitor, please let me know. Otherwise, what's done is done.

I think it's come to the point where we are going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to continue with this epeen contest. It shouldn't have gone this far in the first place. For that I'm sorry.

Everyone has their own opinion about what should have been done first etc. etc. This was started as just an information thread. Regardless, it is what it is.
Cool here....good luck. And thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

I still wouldn't mind hearing VA Speed's side of the story, but someone at their shop has had to have seen or heard about this thread, so I think by them not replying, it speaks volumes for the legitimacy of the OP's claim...although, being a big and busy shop, maybe they haven't seen it yet, in which case I take it back.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by butler
This thread is why I do 98% of my own work on my cars. If I make the mistake I can only blame myself and I have kicked my *** several times.
^^Amen. I just pray when I leave my car to any shop for any work that I cant do..
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a little update. I talked to Shawn today and he said he was going to look into it and call me back. I haven't received the return phone yet.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Just a little update. I talked to Shawn today and he said he was going to look into it and call me back. I haven't received the return phone yet.
I am sure the story the tuner is telling is interesting.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

wow Im out of the loop. how long ago did Ed Hutchins leave VA speed?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Is he a sponsor on here?

Seems a little fishy to me that he used to work there and now he is contacting Va. Speed customers and "fixing" there work.

Just sayin.
He didn't contact me on these forums. It was another set of forums. And the main reason he contacted me was to ask when I had it tuned, and if it had been tuned by him, that I would be fine.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case, and I got said garbage "tune".

Also, if you had met Ed in real life, he's a damn nice guy. He genuinely cares about his customers more than the almighty dollar, which is a rarity nowadays. His philosophy is customer satisfaction first.

I'd just say that while Ed's intentions may have been in the right place, going back in his black book of VAspeed customers and "checking in" to see who tuned who's car and then selling it as "if ed tuned it, you dont have the garbage tune" is just poor business practices.

I'm sure Ed is not about the almighty dollar, that's why he didn't charge you to fix your "garbage" tune,.....right?

I don't have a dog in the hunt(well, I do have a VA speed cam if that counts?) but i will say there seem to be a lot of hate directed towards VAspeed lately, legitimate or not. I'm sure Shawn will get it cleaned up.

Quick Reply: VA Speed tune - Never again.