LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Beware: Katech LS9R clutch failed 700 miles Katech wont stand behind their products

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Potentially wrong flywheel?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
Potentially wrong flywheel?
Katech designed that flywheel and I'm not really sure if other companies make an ls9 flywheel that will bolt up to the ls7. I'm still not sure at this point what actually happened but the dealer seems to think the disks came apart somehow but I'm not really sure.

I just hope no one else has to deal with issues like this in the future!

James
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I could be wrong but they make different versions of the kit depending on the model of motor that is in the car. If you have a pressure plate for a ls7 and a flywheel for a ls1 (IE it was packaged wrong together) the spacing is different and I personally believe it would cause this exact problem. The disk didn't come apart, I've seen a ton of broken disks and honestly I think that disk looks really good for a clutch that was essentially slipping for 700 miles. In your pictures all of the buttons are "intact", no chunks missing from the friction material and no springs appear to be broken. I would look into install error (highly doubtful, but everyone will make a mistake in 20 years) or mispackaged parts which should also be evident during install imo.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

What exactly is the clutch made up of?? OEM LS9 disc/pp with a 6 bolt FW?

I've never installed that clutch

How did the pp/bh versus slave/TT face measurement look?

The entire clutch measurement how to is on Tick's website; nothing new.....(not saying this is the root cause, just good to have all information)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LS9x is an LS9 clutch with a different flywheel for non-ZR1 cars.
The LS9r is the same clutch but a stiffer pressure plate. It still has the OEM disks.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Yea, man stay on the campaign!!! Cause this crap is rediculous!!! You spend all that money to just have them say, its not our fault!!! OVERREV That's crap!!! I almost bought one, like I was ready to order until I read this crap!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. It makes you really appreciate the companies that give you the no BS warranties. Sure if it were covered in oil or there was damage to the other three faces of the two disks you could say it was not the fault of the clutch. But when one side is destroyed and the other is perfectly fine you HAVE to suck it up and replace the part. It's the right thing to do.

It looks like they are saying that when shifting from 4th to 2nd as an example that the clutch disks cannot handle the extra rotational speed while the syncros are matching the speed and the car is still moving. Did they give you a cold rpm limit? Is this not a safety hazard? Clutches exploding is kinda a big deal. Are SFI bell housings required just to run an LS9r clutch on the street?

And what is considered cold? 80* in texas is not exactly cool weather.

Last edited by Exidous; 06-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

ill be honest, my first thought was, "ok, maybe the user installed the pp disc the wrong way?" and after seeing that it WAS installed propery, i couldnt think of another excuse. specially, as it was already pointed out, the flywheel side is perfectly fine. sorry to hear man, that really sucks.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Swaie
Yea, man stay on the campaign!!! Cause this crap is rediculous!!! You spend all that money to just have them say, its not our fault!!! OVERREV That's crap!!! I almost bought one, like I was ready to order until I read this crap!!!
I'm not going down without a fight that's for sure!!!

Originally Posted by Exidous
I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. It makes you really appreciate the companies that give you the no BS warranties. Sure if it were covered in oil or there was damage to the other three faces of the two disks you could say it was not the fault of the clutch. But when one side is destroyed and the other is perfectly fine you HAVE to suck it up and replace the part. It's the right thing to do.

It looks like they are saying that when shifting from 4th to 2nd as an example that the clutch disks cannot handle the extra rotational speed while the syncros are matching the speed and the car is still moving. Did they give you a cold rpm limit? Is this not a safety hazard? Clutches exploding is kinda a big deal. Are SFI bell housings required just to run an LS9r clutch on the street?

And what is considered cold? 80* in texas is not exactly cool weather.
Sucks man I hope noone else has to deal with this especially from Katech!

Originally Posted by 98BLOWNZ28
ill be honest, my first thought was, "ok, maybe the user installed the pp disc the wrong way?" and after seeing that it WAS installed propery, i couldnt think of another excuse. specially, as it was already pointed out, the flywheel side is perfectly fine. sorry to hear man, that really sucks.
Yep that's the strange part is that it just damaged the pp side..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had LMR replace my monster stage II with an LS9X clutch in my C5Z06 this week. The monster clutch held fine, but the pedal was too stiff for my taste.

So far I love everything about the clutch. Hopefully I wont run into a similar issue with mine.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My RPS Twin Carbon Lite locked up within 300 miles. The installer was a 10 hour drive so I was not about to go back & they immediately blamed RPS. RPS helped with diagnosis over the phone & email with photo's. Then it was determined the clutch had to come out, when I removed it 4 of the six flywheel bolts had backed out into the disc.

I shipped the entire clutch back to RPS, they repaired the damaged disc, verified the L/W flywheel was good. When it was good to ship back, they REFUSED payment, shipped it prepaid to Canada, included a new installation kit which included ARP flywheel bolts, throw out bearing, alignment tool instructions etc.

This was clearly not a manufacturer problem & they helped out with no obligation.

I understand this is not relative to the problem, I just feel it is important recognize exceptional support.

Last edited by ctd; 06-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Damn that sucks, a company that big should have no problem standing behind their products. If they blamed it on the over-rev (which obviously you didnt hit 10k RPMS) but even in a scenario where you did wouldn't the wear be on the flywheel side?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Burrhos
Stories like this are the reasons I stayed away from the LS9 variety at katech. I heard nothing but bad stories about it so I went with a clutch from a vendor who drag races automatics often, East Coast Supercharging. I love my Mantic twin disk
Fixed.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Thats some BS man... sorry to hear
Old 07-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I had an ACT twin in my H/C Z06 that lasted 2k miles and about 20 passes. It cut really good 60's for me but I hated the clutch. Then I called Fran and ordered an RPS twin lite and it was amazing to drive. I highly recommend the RPS.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katech has yet to defend themselves on here?? Says something right there that they don't pay attention to the boards.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I have no dog in this fight but OP you're saying your tech believes the clutch material failed and came apart? You seem to believe that but does he have proof other than being a gm tech for 20 years and also being the one that installed it?
You have to understand that dealership techs have instructions for every normal job they do. Come in with something out of the ordinary and they may not be up to the task. Hell, go in an ask them to reflash your pcm or relink your bcm and watch how many of them have to gather around the computer to figure it out. My point is you can't have curious george installing parts like this, especially something that's not an off the shelf product and has been modified for the application.
While I don't necessarily agree with katechs explanation of over rev there doesn't seem to be a clearcut fault here.
FWIW my opinion is that the disc was dragging since day one which could be a design flaw but in most instances like this with premature clutch failure, something is missed or wrong during installation.

It really amazes me how everyone IMMEDIATELY claims product defect. Is it not possible for an installer to make a mistake, or miss a problem. An installer shouldn't just bolt stuff together they should also check their work and check the products for proper operation.
It's a shitty situation but if you're expecting them to send you brand new parts because you and your tech say it's defective then you're setting your sights too high.

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Katech has yet to defend themselves on here?? Says something right there that they don't pay attention to the boards.
It doesn't say anything about them actually. They're a big company with better things to do than watch the boards for threads that are just going to lead to a pissing match with people who want to bash them but most likely have no knowledge of this product, let alone driving or installing one.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tunedup
I have no dog in this fight but OP you're saying your tech believes the clutch material failed and came apart? You seem to believe that but does he have proof other than being a gm tech for 20 years and also being the one that installed it?
You have to understand that dealership techs have instructions for every normal job they do. Come in with something out of the ordinary and they may not be up to the task. Hell, go in an ask them to reflash your pcm or relink your bcm and watch how many of them have to gather around the computer to figure it out. My point is you can't have curious george installing parts like this, especially something that's not an off the shelf product and has been modified for the application.
While I don't necessarily agree with katechs explanation of over rev there doesn't seem to be a clearcut fault here.
FWIW my opinion is that the disc was dragging since day one which could be a design flaw but in most instances like this with premature clutch failure, something is missed or wrong during installation.

It really amazes me how everyone IMMEDIATELY claims product defect. Is it not possible for an installer to make a mistake, or miss a problem. An installer shouldn't just bolt stuff together they should also check their work and check the products for proper operation.
It's a shitty situation but if you're expecting them to send you brand new parts because you and your tech say it's defective then you're setting your sights too high.

It doesn't say anything about them actually. They're a big company with better things to do than watch the boards for threads that are just going to lead to a pissing match with people who want to bash them but most likely have no knowledge of this product, let alone driving or installing one.
For someone with no dog in this fight you sure have a lot to say...
Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

looks to me like perhaps the master cylinder wasn't adjusted properly for the new slave cylinder, or the slave was shimmed inproperly, not allowing the disk to fully disengage.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ph1berOpt1k
looks to me like perhaps the master cylinder wasn't adjusted properly for the new slave cylinder, or the slave was shimmed inproperly, not allowing the disk to fully disengage.
If this was the case, BOTH sides of the disc would have been the same.

It also would have had engagement issues, one way or the other. It would either slip or not disengage.

For one side of the disc to be destroyed and the other look normal is either a defect in material or a flywheel/pressure plate issue(whichever side is torn up).

EDIT

Did everything slide freely on the input shaft?

Quick Reply: Beware: Katech LS9R clutch failed 700 miles Katech wont stand behind their products