LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Katech Rod Bolts.. Not what is claimed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by }BlueFire{
Just out of curiosity and I will say I know nothing about engine building but... wouldn't the pure fact of you taking a cracked rod apart throw off the measurement? To my knowledge your supposed to do one bolt at a time so the cracks line up n don't throw them out of round. I know its not in the instructions but seems to be common sense in the ls world.
If it the alignment of the rod cap. Absolutely not
The only way to mis align the cap is if you put the wrong cap on the wrong rod. But no they align up just fine.

And just to add to the discussion above, I threw arp rod bolts in my 5.3 and checked the clearance after the initial bolt stretch. It still was within spec and that's about as far as my give a **** went. Motor has over 10k on the build and gets the **** kicked out of it every single day. I personally can't justify taking the Rods to a shop and having them re honed unless your on such a tight budget,like building an ls motor while working at burger king as a day job. If I'm pulling it apart it's getting forged rods/pistons. C'mon people. It's not that expensive to build yourself a strong bottom end to Handel up to 800hp. After that is when **** gets expensive.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Thank you for clarifying that you had tested more. That means a lot more than the initial post that did not mention the rest.
I thought I did! Sorry about that!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree to a point, if your like me and have 6 sets of rods laying around, the cost of the forged rods is not justified unless you need it to hold more than the stock rods can handle.

In the case of my 370, I went ahead with forged rods because I plan to push it harder in the future, and I had the extra money.

On my next build, a 5.3 for my k5, I will be using stock rods with upgraded bolts as long as the bolts don't throw it out more than .002 on the big end because that is all bearing manufacturers make bearings for.

Out of 48 rods, I shouldn't have a problem finding 8 that are close and can be resized.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to sit back and chew the popcorn. This, coupled with the LS9 clutch failure....
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone used the Katech's and had a rod bearing failure? I see a few guys in here that have went quite a bit of miles with no issues. I'm not saying their rods WERENT/were out of round, but I would think you would definitely have a bearing failure with almost 20 thous oOr. Sometimes the LS gods give you a break I guess. Definitely some good info on this thread.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm going to sit back and chew the popcorn. This, coupled with the LS9 clutch failure....
Thanks for the informative post!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It all ties into Katech you ***. A little looking around would yield good results.

But thanks for pointing out the non-sponsor link in your sig.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Lol I looked after you said something and I def don't think I'll be goin with katech after reading that.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MERICAPOWEREDS14
Thanks for the informative post!
It's very informative for those who don't know. I happened to read the other thread so I found his comment amusing. Your hard head didn't allow you to grasp what he was saying
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
It's very informative for those who don't know. I happened to read the other thread so I found his comment amusing. Your hard head didn't allow you to grasp what he was saying
No, I got it and I have read the other thread. I would have rather had some input or something constructive other than another popcorn post. The clutch part was just fine.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

It's the internet, lighten up. You don't get to pick and choose what other people say in response to your post.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by machinistone
Yeah, of course they distort the bore - any time you change the clamp load applied from what it was when the rod was originally machined, you will change the size and geometry of the bore. Additionally you cannot just check clearance with platigauge or even a two point bore gauge because they are not capable of showing nth order distortions that are present in the bore. Even the three point precision AG gauge shown in the OP's video may sometimes not show these orders of distortion, so you need to properly re-size the rods every time you change fasteners.
Originally Posted by MERICAPOWEREDS14
I don't know how many rods you personally have installed bolts in and checked but 99% of ones that I have done or had done went out of round. You say the opposite of what almost any machine shop or true engine builder will tell anyone. It always needs to be checked. You also have to have the right tools. which almost NO ONE has but a machine shop. Plain and simple

Sure, if you go out far enough from the decimal point!? What?...Are you measuring out to the The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? Good lord, even if its not exactly the same it can still be in spec. You sound like a priest from the dark ages that no one can understand reading or god unless they come to a Preacher for knowledge. A very bad line to walk. As far as being in spec with aftermarket bolts, more than a few machinists have found the rods to be well within spec. (I've built more than just a few motors) Maybe not exactly the same as before, (measured bore) as it will never be exactly the same even with the same bolts - if you go far enough away from the decimal.....Your turn, but arguing absolutes on such a dynamic is pointless. Many will be in spec after installing properly. Many others won't. I'm not arguing with you. I'm stating there are no absolutes in this equation as your point seems to be leading. You are right in this scenario, and wrong in others. Get over it, learn from it, and put your shirt back on. I won't argue with you further, not because I can't, but because I won't.

Not to confuse you, but even still, thank you for sharing your well documented findings and proving further what is said over and over on this forum. Verify for yourself if anything you install is within spec. It is just too important.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Katech Rod Bolts.. Not what is claimed.