LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

dissatisfaction with Texas Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 00 SS that I installed your 1 3/4 headers had no issues. I installed new poly motor and trans mounts. The issue was with the header. Not the car.
Like I said. U need to check the jig for those headers

The 1 7/8 headers I installed in my 02 ws6 fit prefect. And I love them...

Of cours u wouldn't see an issue with that post. But it IS a **** you attitude. I don't care what u say. When u tell a customer what you (tsp) told the op and the it ain't our fault attitude. .. tyats shitty customer service.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree. We were getting bashed I saw no need for the thread to continue when others have posted in this thread making it very clear that no matter the brand of header or vehicle, fitment issues can occur for various reasons. I have stated multiple times we addressed the situation meaning we pulled headers compared to others, took some measurements and came to the realization no bad batch or damaged jig was the issue. We take pride in what we do, we have thousands of customers that can attest to this. I have apologized multiple times for the inconvenience I see no need for this thread to continue. If anything else needs to be discussed or said, we are more than willing to talk on the phone, or discuss through email. We are here to help we always have been.

Last edited by Sales1@Texas-speed; 04-24-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me start by saying that we are already looking at the jig for our 1-3/4" headers. No, I am not going to let our company continue to sell a product if multiple people are seeing an issue. I do think that in the midst of posting on the internet, you don't always get the true meaning of what someone is trying to say. It's different to read words vs. hearing someone tell you the same thing. Yes, we have sold hundreds of sets of these headers. If multiple people begin seeing a similar issue, we will absolutely check the manufacturing process. The headers are built out of 304 stainless steel, the same as the other stainless steel headers on the market. So, I am not sure I can do much for you in regards to you feeling that they are a cheap material. However, we can check out the jig and make changes, if needed, to hopefully help avoid this in the future. The variances could be pretty wide spread from one f-body to another, but if we can make some changes to help provide more clearance we will certainly do so. We are looking at having the primaries turn down sooner in hopes that this will not be as much of an issue moving forward.

I personally checked Aaron's e-mails, and the last e-mail he has from you was from July 2012 when he asked for additional pictures. You had told him that the customer was out of town, and you would get back with him. He does not have any additional e-mails from you after that point. I am not sure if you may have called in and spoken to someone different about your situation. Regardless, we certainly are not here to blow anyone off or tell them we don't care. There is certainly something going on if the primary is up against the steering shaft. It could be multiple things making the situation as bad as it is. Just from looking at your pictures, the x-pipe system is in a major bind. I'm not sure why the driver's side is aimed so far down, but the system is twisted. Disclaimers will be added today on our website so that there is no confusion as to the possibility of loss of ground clearance. You will definitely lose some ground clearance with any x-pipe system. As Damian mentioned, you're putting 3" exhaust in locations that the car was not originally designed for. The places that did have exhaust pipe had 2.25" pipe for the y-pipe from the factory, and even GM flattened it for additional clearance. The x-pipe should be an easy fix. You need to loosen the clamps on the entire system, then start adjusting. The entire x-pipe system should be closer to the bottom of the car. With as low as the left side is hanging, I am not surprised that you've had ground clearance issues. It's hard to tell in pictures, but it looks to be easily over an inch lower than the passenger side. A hitting primary will not cause the x-pipe system to be that crooked. It should be sitting flush under the car. All of the x-pipe issues can be adjusted out.

I am sorry that you had issues with the installation. Please keep in mind that many of our customers are DIY men/women, and he/she is often times doing an install for the first time. So, we do get our fair share of calls from customers that we have to help through the process because he/she is not familiar with the installation process, as well as adjustment. All of our sales guys take a LOT of calls each day, and I think that is where Aaron was coming from. I'm not saying that you are a first-time installer. What I am saying is that all of our sales guys know that our products are tested before we bring them to market. So, there should not be an issue on the design side of the product unless the jig has somehow changed. If multiple customers are seeing a similar problem, it is easy enough for us to take a look at the jig and see if it has been changed, as well as if we can make some improvements. I am never against improving a product, even if it is working fine for many. Checking our jig and making changes to try to buy some additional room is an easy fix in the grand scheme of things.

Please let us know if there are additional issues that you feel should be addressed.

Thanks!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
I know for a fact that this car hasn't been in a wreck. I've known the guy that owns it for a while and he bought it with like 20k miles as the second owner and it had a clean carfax.

I do have another set of headers, but as the car is not mine, I can't take time to take them off of his car and do a comparison side by side.
just an fyi carfax means nothing to anyone that knows cars... I specifically know of a roush mustang that had everything replaced firewall forward, basically they cut the car at the firewall and welded a new front end on. A buddy bought the car totalled but not reported and had another buddies body shop do all the work. It had maybe 12k on it before the original owner smacked a pole with it, but you look at the car now or run the vin and it comes up perfect.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed a set of TSP headers and I thought they were a great product for the money, they cleared the steering shaft just fine, it had the 3" y pipe with it. I did quite a bit of cussing to get the y pipe all tucked up tight but it will fit the way it was designed to and Id be willing to bet the x pipe system is the same. If you call tsp up I guarantee you will get much better results vs complaining on here.

A few years back a friend of mine had fitment issues with his headers (not tsp headers) on his z28. His were Hitting the steering shaft, well turns out that someone before he got the car swapped a v6 steering rack in the car. I would look into that and verify that the car has the v8 rack.

I have always had great service and support from Texas speed (especially Aaron) and I'm sure if your still having issues after double checking these items then a phone call to them will change your mind about their customer support.

Last edited by Cape T/A; 04-25-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it helps, I measured the distance from the cylinder head to the steering shaft between my personal vehicle, and the camaro pictured in my first post and the distance was within 1/16" of each other. My pacesetters clear the steering shaft by 1.25 inches and the primaries on the TSP headers are (as close as I can measure them while still on the car) ~1 3/16" longer than the pacesetters. Also, the primaries come off the head 'straighter' or at less of a downward angle than the pacesetters. Hope this helps on your end.

I also want to apologize for any negative behavior I have posted here. It's just frustrating sometimes when this stuff happens and I may have overreacted. i know Aaron's last email to me asked me to take measurements and I didn't due to the fact that the car was an hour away from me and the owner is a truck driver gone three weeks at a time. That's why I kinda just blew it off myself and assumed that this was an isolated incident. After talking to more and more people, I do feel that it is more than likely an issue on your guys' end but, I could be wrong. Hope you guys figure something out before anyone else has an issue. You guys hold a strong presence in the LS community and I'd hate to see something negative come from this.

Quick Reply: dissatisfaction with Texas Speed