LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Upset with Tick Performance and COMP Cams!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upset with Tick Performance and COMP Cams!

Like the headline says. I will never buy from Tick Performance again. I bought a sns stage 3 cam from them and had it installed in my 1998 firebird last week and now I got the famous COMP Camp whine in my engine. I called them, emailed them and spoke with them 3 times and they told me to contact COMP Cams and it is not their problem. They said I got a bad batch cam from them, so I asked them why did they sell it to me then knowing that could happen? They then said take it up with COMP Cams. So I'm just letting ya'll know before you buy from a vender and expect them to stand behind something they sell be for warned. Tick in my opinion should have tried to call COMP Cams and find a way to resolve this problem. But I guess when all you have to do is sell something and not have any blame for a bad product then what have you got to lose other then taking a customers money.

So now I am having to talk with COMP Cams and they are in no hurry to get back with me yet. I have already paid $2500 for the cam, install, dyno and tune. So now it looks like I am going to have to pay for the cam to come back out and get a new one re installed because of COMP Cams.

Be careful buying from Tick Performance or COMP Cams in the near future. COMP Cams said they knew of the bad batch problem and never did a recall, just let them out there for vendors to sell. I gave COMP Cams my cam sheet for when they built it. The cam was made in 2014 so it was sitting on Tick Performance shelf until I bought it. So beware you might get a bad cam also. I hope this does not happen to anyone else so I'm writing this to let people know. I will post updates on what COMP Cams is going to do. My guess they are going to say, send it back and the will repolish the lobes or supply a new cam shaft. That is a fine and dandy but when you save up for 6 months to get it done then have to pay to have it taken out, shipped to them and re installed on my dime is not going to be fun. Not counting how long my car will be down. Ya'll be for warned this could happen to you.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear this, i mean comp does make a **** ton of cams and there isnt too many other companies that do. I would say the positive completely out weighs the negative with comp so i hope they fix it. I wouldn't blame tick... i mean they put the grind out comp makes it.. on that note, i ordered my tick sns 2 ls2 version last week. hope i don't get it. Good luck, keep us updated!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

YIKES!! That sucks, happen to have a video of it?
I have not heard the famous Comp Cam whine. Off to You Tube I go.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Things like this are never fun, and the seemingly overwhelming number of bad Comp cores out there are the exact reason I try point everyone to Martin Smallwood and Kip Fabre, because Cam Motion cores are the ****. I really hope you get the help you deserve.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

2500 for a cam install and tune?

****, I need to start charging my buddies or change my line of work.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Cam was $429, rocker arm trunion upgrade $139.00, valve springs and retainer parts $289, push rods $112, labor for valve spring swap, press in new comp cam trunion bearings and install cam $800, plus gaskets, coolant, oil change, plugs, wires $100, dyno tune $500 and misc stuff. So right at $2500.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eesh, lil high i think, have a company installing my heads and cam including oil pump, timing set, trunion upgrade, including buying all my gaskets and measuring my push rods and buying push rods for about 550$. Im Sure all will be fine man don't fret!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there dates on the cam sheet to where comp would know it was from the bad batch?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Yes, on your cam card there will be the mode # and the serial #. They can look up both and tell you exactly when the cam shaft was made. Regardless of when you bought it. Mine was made in August on 2014 and sold to me by Tick Performance in May of this year. COMP said that was the bad batch ones from the info I provided them. I'm waiting to hear back from them in the morning for more info and what is going to happen.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

damn that sucks.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so august 2014 was the known bad batch? I'll snag those numbers and email comp to see what they say.. I'd imagine they have tracked it down but why wouldn't they try to get ahead of it before this happens?? I hope they can give me a solid answer and aren't wishy washy.. hope they work it out with you
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Here ya go bud. In the description it says the person who you should contact.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punkysable
Cam was $429, rocker arm trunion upgrade $139.00, valve springs and retainer parts $289, push rods $112, labor for valve spring swap, press in new comp cam trunion bearings and install cam $800, plus gaskets, coolant, oil change, plugs, wires $100, dyno tune $500 and misc stuff. So right at $2500.
$429 for that cam? It's listed for 389 right now dropped down from 399 for the ls1/ls6 version.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Things like this are never fun, and the seemingly overwhelming number of bad Comp cores out there are the exact reason I try point everyone to Martin Smallwood and Kip Fabre, because Cam Motion cores are the ****. I really hope you get the help you deserve.
Martin just came from Tick performance so if you were pointing to him alil while ago he would still of been at Tick. Most all can companies or people who spec cams will grind on whatever core you would like, it usually just costs more
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott5
Martin just came from Tick performance so if you were pointing to him alil while ago he would still of been at Tick. Most all can companies or people who spec cams will grind on whatever core you would like, it usually just costs more
I haven't worked there since September of last year fwiw.

When I worked there I went out of my way to get in touch with the higher ups at COMP, contact them multiple times and hold their feet to the fire when this whining issue arose after cams were sold. I was able to help several customers by doing such when this problem arose while I still worked there.

I'm by no means attempting to throw Tick under the bus either, but this is the main reason why I ONLY use Cam Motion cores now.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood

When I worked there I went out of my way to get in touch with the higher ups at COMP, contact them multiple times and hold their feet to the fire when this whining issue arose after cams were sold. I was able to help several customers by doing such when this problem arose while I still worked there.

I'm by no means attempting to throw Tick under the bus either, but this is the main reason why I ONLY use Cam Motion cores now.
Last three cams I've received from Tick have been on Cam Motion cores. Guess they took your advice!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

My SNS 3 mild was ground in 2015, so that means mine should be good to go right? Comp claims I should not have an issue and the previous owner said there was no whine but want to make sure this was an isolated 2014 issue.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by punkysable
Like the headline says. I will never buy from Tick Performance again. I bought a sns stage 3 cam from them and had it installed in my 1998 firebird last week and now I got the famous COMP Camp whine in my engine. I called them, emailed them and spoke with them 3 times and they told me to contact COMP Cams and it is not their problem. They said I got a bad batch cam from them, so I asked them why did they sell it to me then knowing that could happen? They then said take it up with COMP Cams. So I'm just letting ya'll know before you buy from a vender and expect them to stand behind something they sell be for warned. Tick in my opinion should have tried to call COMP Cams and find a way to resolve this problem. But I guess when all you have to do is sell something and not have any blame for a bad product then what have you got to lose other then taking a customers money.

So now I am having to talk with COMP Cams and they are in no hurry to get back with me yet. I have already paid $2500 for the cam, install, dyno and tune. So now it looks like I am going to have to pay for the cam to come back out and get a new one re installed because of COMP Cams.

Be careful buying from Tick Performance or COMP Cams in the near future. COMP Cams said they knew of the bad batch problem and never did a recall, just let them out there for vendors to sell. I gave COMP Cams my cam sheet for when they built it. The cam was made in 2014 so it was sitting on Tick Performance shelf until I bought it. So beware you might get a bad cam also. I hope this does not happen to anyone else so I'm writing this to let people know. I will post updates on what COMP Cams is going to do. My guess they are going to say, send it back and the will repolish the lobes or supply a new cam shaft. That is a fine and dandy but when you save up for 6 months to get it done then have to pay to have it taken out, shipped to them and re installed on my dime is not going to be fun. Not counting how long my car will be down. Ya'll be for warned this could happen to you.
Larry, I realize that you're paraphrasing, but I do feel the need to set the record straight about what you were told. Nobody here at Tick Performance told you "it is not (our) problem." Your business is very valued and appreciated, and we are truly sorry that you ran into this issue. We put you directly in touch with our rep at the manufacturer (COMP Cams) because it is the quickest, most streamlined way to get a resolution for you (and it is how we've handled issues like this in the past.) It is common practice for end users to deal directly with manufacturers in cases where there is a product quality issue.

After you were referred directly to our rep at COMP Cams, I personally spoke with him about the situation and he assured me that they would make this right with you. He also went into detail with me on what solutions they've put into place over the past few years to keep issues like these from happening again. After I spoke with him, I personally called you (missed call) and then emailed you with this information.

We stock MANY camshafts here on our shelf, so I suppose that there is a possibility that your camshaft was ground in August of 2014 - I just counted, though, and we restocked that particular cam (SNS003M) 5 times from 9/1/2014 through 6/1/2016, when your order was shipped. It is possible that your particular camshaft was never picked for an order over the course of that 21 month, 5 re-stocking order period, but I'd argue that it's not likely. For good measure, we'll be taking our entire inventory of COMP Cams and double-checking them for the period in which they were ground so that this doesn't happen ever again.

My theory is that the real issue here is not that we put you directly in touch with COMP Cams to get this resolved as quickly as possible, but rather that our company policy is not to pay for any labor, as you requested. Details here: http://www.tickperformance.com/shipp...ckup-policies/
Reimbursements are never made for storage fees, unexpected labor increases or any other expense related to the receipt of incorrect, damaged or defective items.
As an installation facility, we've had to deal with many situations like this involving parts made by many different manufacturers. Many times it is nobody's fault, these things just happen from time to time. If COMP declines to cover any of the replacement labor, hopefully Steve Williams at EFI Performance will be lenient with the billing for his labor. As I mentioned in my email to you, I know it's a nightmare to install a new part and have a problem with it, and for that you have our most sincere apologies.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood

When this problem came out years ago in Comp Cam thread you said it wasn't a problem and fought with members on here that said it was a big big problem. You then bashed LS1.com members on yellowbullit as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...comp-cams.html
Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
Larry, I realize that you're paraphrasing, but I do feel the need to set the record straight about what you were told. Nobody here at Tick Performance told you "it is not (our) problem." Your business is very valued and appreciated, and we are truly sorry that you ran into this issue. We put you directly in touch with our rep at the manufacturer (COMP Cams) because it is the quickest, most streamlined way to get a resolution for you (and it is how we've handled issues like this in the past.) It is common practice for end users to deal directly with manufacturers in cases where there is a product quality issue.

After you were referred directly to our rep at COMP Cams, I personally spoke with him about the situation and he assured me that they would make this right with you. He also went into detail with me on what solutions they've put into place over the past few years to keep issues like these from happening again. After I spoke with him, I personally called you (missed call) and then emailed you with this information.

We stock MANY camshafts here on our shelf, so I suppose that there is a possibility that your camshaft was ground in August of 2014 - I just counted, though, and we restocked that particular cam (SNS003M) 5 times from 9/1/2014 through 6/1/2016, when your order was shipped. It is possible that your particular camshaft was never picked for an order over the course of that 21 month, 5 re-stocking order period, but I'd argue that it's not likely. For good measure, we'll be taking our entire inventory of COMP Cams and double-checking them for the period in which they were ground so that this doesn't happen ever again.

My theory is that the real issue here is not that we put you directly in touch with COMP Cams to get this resolved as quickly as possible, but rather that our company policy is not to pay for any labor, as you requested. Details here: http://www.tickperformance.com/shipp...ckup-policies/

As an installation facility, we've had to deal with many situations like this involving parts made by many different manufacturers. Many times it is nobody's fault, these things just happen from time to time. If COMP declines to cover any of the replacement labor, hopefully Steve Williams at EFI Performance will be lenient with the billing for his labor. As I mentioned in my email to you, I know it's a nightmare to install a new part and have a problem with it, and for that you have our most sincere apologies.
If you want to get all technical about it, its a TICK cam, NOT a COMP cam. So its YOUR product, not COMP's. It's something TICK should have taken up with COMP, not the end user. So....you sell/rep for COMP and sell a TICK cam on a COMP core that is defective and the buyer is supposed to foot the bill for removal/reinstallation of a new cam. TICK blames COMP and COMP being who they are doesn't have to do anything other than spit out a replacement cam at worst and the end user gets screw.....got it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upset with Tick Performance and COMP Cams!