LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Thompson motorsports terrible experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thompson motorsports terrible experience

First thing it takes a lot for me to take time out for a complaint or to start some drama....
So ill tell the story, i had a ls2 with cam and heads making about 525 horse in my jet boat and it just wasnt quite enough so did a little research and decided to try thompson motorsports. So called down and talked to ryan who was a super nice guy and explained i needed 650 hp and 600 ft lbs of torque was my order. Just no reason to spend 18 grand unless the hp numbers were at that 650 otherwise id just keep running my ls2. Well got my engine took it to the dyno and sure enough just my luck made 580 hp and 550 lt lbs of torque. i was pretty sick to my stomach spending all those thousands of dollars for 50 more hp and if you know jet boats thats not even felt when you drive it you need at least 100 hp... Anyway yes im not a engine builder but thought theres a recipe to build 650 hp like they promised idk but very disappointed and very embarrassed to tell my buddies, i felt so stupid i wasted all that money. So i moved on put the engine in my boat and it ran fine for about 10 hrs then bam!!!! A valve broke and ruined a piston and the left head and under inspection they just chalked it up as bad luck say a bad valve. talked to kyle thompson at this point and he sent me the parts i needed and i had the engine put back together. Actually the heads were still under warranty so no problems. installed the engine back in my boat ran it about 3 hours and noticed a knocking noise at idle and when i gave it gas it disappeared so back to the drawing board. So we broke down the engine and found a few lifters like burned or scarred up anyway they looked funny so kyle sent us new lifters and we put them in. Few days later wrapped everything up started it up and didnt fix it. We looked everywhere so i decided id better take it back to thompson motorsports so they can tear it down to find the problem. The boating season was over anyway so wasnt a big deal. So i dealt with kyle thompson now the owner of the company and it took them a few months which was fine i was in no hurry and he tells me i had bad coils and wires is all the noise was and that they ran it on the dyno and it sounded sooooo good and i actually sent down a new cam motion cam and it he claims he put it in and it made 620 hp and 580 lt lbs of torque so yes i felt stupid for him saying it was a coil sparking making the knock noise but also happy it made 40 more hp. Ok so shipped the engine back to me and it sat in the crate until early july and i installed it in a brand new boat. So had all new stuff so happy kamper. Well now is where it gets bad, the boat dealer calls me and says hey this engine is knocking!! So i drove up and is making the fn EXACT same noise as last year. I call kyle and he starts saying all this bs and i send him the video and he claims he cant hear it and he needs me to bring the boat all the way back to texas. This is a 20 hour round trip BTW. We take it down and he claims its the jet pump making the noise its not the engine but i explain to him it cant be the pump its the exact same noise as before,but this man thinks he knows everything..So wouldnt you think since its a 20 hour round trip that he would pull a spark plug and stick a borescope in the hole just to make sure ...BUT no he is POSITIVE and when you talk to this man hes a salesman he talks you in to believing his BS. Finally i get tired of arguing with him since he was 100% positive it wasnt his engine and only blamed the boat dealership. So we get the boat back 20 hours later and the BOAT DEALER takes a plug out and the top of the piston is destroyed and the cylinder wall is all scratched up so the noise was piston noise not the pump. From that point on i talked to kyle and just could not understand how my engine was down at his place twice , 40 hours of driving and hotels and gas, 1000s of dollars and his mechanics were sooooo lazy they couldnt even investigate the noise like pulling a plug or however else you find a noise problem but to only blame the jet pump. After all that i emailed kyle, i called kyle, and he wouldnt take my calls but he did email saying he would let me know his recommendations on what parts i needed to buy not parts he would send me. That guy and that company are total junk engine builders and theres no way he even dynoed my engine the first time it knocked so loud his knock sensors would of picked it up..Oh another thing when his company put the left valve cover on before they crated it up it was so crooked that the rocker arms were all beating on the inside of the valve cover. It felts like little hammers in there. When i told him that he said sometimes the valve cover gets bumped and knocked out of line on shipment.. I want you guys to go out and see if you can move your valve cover, theres no way this happened. this guy is a joke and has a bs excuse for everything. And im not a mechanic i just rested my hand on the valve cover while listening to the engine noise and felt a bunch of tapping stuff then felt the other valver cover and it wasnt doing it. I kinda wa hoping that was the knocking noise but wasnt of course. Sorry for the bad writing im sure you all get the point here. No reason for me to lie about anything . It doesnt benefit me i ordered all the parts myself and paying a company up here in missouri to fix my engine i dont want anything to do with that company or kyle thompson hes a joke!!!!! Im sure they have built good engines and good for you this is just what happened to me and venting my story lol I have pics of the valve cover crooked and the beat up piston and cylinder. kyle come on on here and tell your side id love to hear why your company didnt look at my engine after you asked me to drive it down there 10 hours to only blame it on the pump and send them back home.. twice

Quick Reply: Thompson motorsports terrible experience