MSD Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Coils

Hi

Had 4 out of 8 coils fail. 2 eventually set of SES codes and 2 were marginal with no codes. Unfortunately they deteriorated over a period of time and I did not see SES codes untill the very end. My car was running like **** and I could not figure out what was wrong. 2 colis finaly completely failed when I was travaling so I ended up with a big repair bill. Also, my car failed the local sniffer test.

I when back to my MSD dealer they refused to return them. They said I had to return them myself to MSD for warrantee, so now I am paying shipping both ways to get them repaired.

There really is a high level of unprofessional culture established in the High Performance aftermarket business in general. It seem everytime I do a mod to my car someone fks up or parts do not fit. It's one step forward and 2 back.

Thanks JA

Last edited by JGA; 05-22-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, how much time or mileage did you have on them?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Interested in the end result of this one as well!!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

moving to feedback.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Damn, how much time or mileage did you have on them?
Hi

They were installed last October so they were about 7 months old. I did one oil change since then so I had under 5000 kilometers (3000 miles) on them.

I sent all 8 back to MSD under RGA. They had no problem giving me warrantee service and are so far good to deal with. It's my dealer I am pissed at. I was planning Konis, springs, A arms, etc. They can kiss my business goodby.

Thanks JA
Old 05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Has anyone else had problems with these? I just got mine and debating on actually swapping them now. My stockers are fine just wanted to upgrade. Any change in performance?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

I sent them back to MSD under RGA. They verified that 4 coils were defective. I should have them back soon. I am worried about putting them back on. I assume at this point with all the failures I and other people have had, the product has been released prematurely. Typical for the HP auto industry to use us geeks a test pigs.

I really don't know what to do with them now. By the way I did like the performance when they worked. Smoother engine and better throttle response.

Thanks JA
Old 06-03-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

i personally have had back experiences with msd products,they just dont put out high quality parts.I installed one of ther MARINE distributors on my brothers 383 in his 88 transam and guess what,all the parts inside rusted in less then two years,i mean rusted to the point you couldnt even touch it or it would crumble.Marine my ***.and for the price of there coils,im suprised people buy them.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

are the msd coil packs even worth it? what were your gains? not just hp and tq, if any, but like smoother idle, revs.. etc
Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

i had desame problem 4 out of 8 coils fail on my ls1, i sent it out for waranty the first time and came back w/ one new one and all coils was still malfunctioning so the second time i ship it to msd they gave me 8 new coils.

luckily i haven't have problem w/ the coils untill now. so i suges you send it back and tell them run in w/ a actual ls1 engine so tht they know whats going on w/ them coils. don't waste yor time and money for shiping it back, i bet you anything all em coils are bad already so tell them give you 8 new coils.

Quick Reply: MSD Coils