LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Speed Inc., keep an eye on your quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Inc., keep an eye on your quality

Ok to start off with this is gonna be a long story.
About 2 winters ago i hydroplanned my car and ended up bending the rear axle, and had that replaced with one from a junkyard. During that winter i had a beater car and figured while the Z is in the garage I'll upgrade the rear end, going from 2.73 to 3.23. I bought a 3-seires posi and gear set used off of eBay. Now i didn't have any of the setting tools, so when I put this in, I re-used the stock shims. It made noise and i dealt with it becuase I knew that it wasn't proper setup. After a while the noise got louder and I finally decided it was time for a new gearset and I'd have a shop put them in.

So around mid-latter part of last summer, I had Speed Inc. put in a set of 3.42s. Had no problems, dropped it off the night before and picked it up the next day. Now i had no idea how to break in a set of gears and one of the guys there (don't remember his name) said to heat cycle them, drive home and let it sit for a couple hours, drive somewhere else and do the same. From the moment I drove away, it howled louder than it did when i brought it in. I figured it was probably break in noise, let it go for about a week and called them back, they said come back and they would check it out. I go back and they drive it around and said that is definatly not right and that they were going to replace it under warrenty and labor would be free as well, but they had a order a new gear-set as they didn't have any 3.42s in stock. I said ok and they called when the new one showed and i brought it back again. Same thing, i dropped it off the night before and picked it up the next day. Now this time they tell me that something is bent because the mesh will not stay in one place (being that rear is from a junkyard and the posi is from eBay, i wasn't suprised), but this time when I drove home, it was much much much quieter.

Now flashfoward to this spring, the noise has gotten louder and I can literaly hear every tooth engaging, it was getting really bad. So I looked around and found a member on the board who was selling a complete rear. I bought that and put my old one somewhere in the garage. Later another member on the board was looking for a rear end, I told him I have one but it makes noise. He bought it and said all he really needed was the backing plates. Now later he sells it to another member on the board who happens to be a friend of a good friend of mine. Now my buddy tells this guy not to buy it, it makes a lot of noise, hes been in my car and knows how loud it was. The guy buys it anyways, and starts putting a new gear set in it. A couple days later i get a call and my buddy says to me "Did you see what Speed did to this rear end?" I said i don't know, whats wrong, he tells me that they welded the pinion nut to the pinion. Well they keep tearing into it seeing as that he has a new gearset and isn't consirened about the threads on the old pinion. Now about 3-4 days ago i get another call and this time my buddy tells me that there is no crush collar in this thing.

I'm not looking to get anything out of this, I just wanted to bring this to their attention.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A better way to bring this to their attention would be calling them about it - not posting it on a public forum first.