LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

HPE & Eagle: Issue getting resolved

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPE & Eagle: Issue getting resolved

well.. i forgot about this whole section.... figured id post up.. .

chuck has lost every ounce of respect i ever had for him. my freeze plug inside the rear of my crank is leaking, its an OBVIOUS problem and effects a few of the cranks made when my motor was built.. my engine is still on warranty.. chuck told me flat out

"well.. we didnt make the crank so i dont know why your even calling us about this... you need to take this up with eagle and have them figure it out, if they dont reimburse you then file a lawsuit or something"

according to chuck even if you buy an ASSEMBLED engine from them thats on warranty, they are not responsible for ANYTHING thats wrong with it...... INCLUDING if it was a assembly problem caused by assembling the parts incorrectly. he told me if thats the case then i would have to go after the builder of the engine because they "sub" it out to another shop to build it... well.. guess what... I DIDNT BUY THE GOD DAMN MOTOR FROM THE BUILDER... i bought it from HPE so that i would have a warranty...

HPE is a ******* joke...
Old 12-15-2006, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

and also to add..... ive been in contact with Erik over this whole deal... we have had many conversations about it and hes doing his best to make the situation right...

something needs to be done by either HPE, or eagle or other vendors stating to everyone that there used to be a problem with the cranks.... eagle now pressure tests all their cranks to resolve this problem... what good that does anybody who drives a stick??? i have no idea... the problem has already destroyed 1 spec clutch and has been causing issues with my mcleod now.

this is also on a corvette... so i guess i have to cover the over 1000 dollars to fix the problem??? yeah thats real fair...
Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

update... chuck is talking to me in emails now... hopefully something can be figured out... things arent looking very good though
Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Banned

There are numerous problems with eagle cranks.

1 - stock pilot bearing fitment: not enough 'interference' (i.e. bearing just falls out of back of crank) .. solution: call eagle and get their new pilot bearing.

2 - freeze out plug on back of crank tends to leak (Like you are saying). Use assembly adhesive (gm) or some type of sealant around the plug.

I have just experienced an eagle crank due to a customer providing me with a slp 402ci setup. Personally, I would never use eagle, customers have asked me to build motors with them and I have refused. The callies racemaster crank is a few hundred more but worth every penny and at least you are getting a domestic product.

So, concerning the plug situation... If you remove the trans, flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, you should be able to get in there to put some sealant on that plug. I would try that first before pulling the motor to be sent back. I am not 100% sure that this will work as the slp motor that has the first eagle crank i've used will not fire up until tues or weds. of this week and we used gm assembly adhesive on that.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I am probably going to do something with LostCauseZ06 myself so hopefully we will work this out and Eagle will hopefully do something for us. Unfortunately I don't make the cranks and Eagle has now fixed both the issues of the leaking rear plugs and the pilot bearings as they now come with the pilot bearings installed on every new crank and they pressure test the plugs on all the new cranks.

Of course this isn't helping Chase above at all. I talked to him only after he had already talked with Chuck whom I sold these short blocks to at a discount since HPE is supposed to handle stuff like this. Otherwise I would be selling direct to the customers myself as well which I will be soon but of course at a higher price to cover the customer service you must provide when you are the one selling to the customer. I apologize for Chuck making you mad but I didn't even know about this till after you had exhausted things with him and then you called me directly.

I will continue to use the Eagle stuff for sure as we've used hundreds with no issues almost at all including almost every high profile car and engine combo on this board. Alan at Eagle also told me that anyone having this issue should also contact them directly about this problem. Remember that there are people that have thought they had this problem before with Eagle and other brands and then have found that it was NOT the crank so be sure. I get leaking LS1s that are dead stock all the time in as cores that look like the Exxon Valdez.

Saying all of this we also use Callies on a lot of builds, and their cranks are a work of art as are their Compstar connecting rods as well. Callies also has some new products on the horizon that will change things even further. If you can afford the difference in price they have some really nice parts and they are also making the lightest LS1 crank out there that I have seen so far.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
Yes I am probably going to do something with LostCauseZ06 myself so hopefully we will work this out and Eagle will hopefully do something for us. Unfortunately I don't make the cranks and Eagle has now fixed both the issues of the leaking rear plugs and the pilot bearings as they now come with the pilot bearings installed on every new crank and they pressure test the plugs on all the new cranks.

Of course this isn't helping Chase above at all. I talked to him only after he had already talked with Chuck whom I sold these short blocks to at a discount since HPE is supposed to handle stuff like this. Otherwise I would be selling direct to the customers myself as well which I will be soon but of course at a higher price to cover the customer service you must provide when you are the one selling to the customer. I apologize for Chuck making you mad but I didn't even know about this till after you had exhausted things with him and then you called me directly.

I will continue to use the Eagle stuff for sure as we've used hundreds with no issues almost at all including almost every high profile car and engine combo on this board. Alan at Eagle also told me that anyone having this issue should also contact them directly about this problem. Remember that there are people that have thought they had this problem before with Eagle and other brands and then have found that it was NOT the crank so be sure. I get leaking LS1s that are dead stock all the time in as cores that look like the Exxon Valdez.

Saying all of this we also use Callies on a lot of builds, and their cranks are a work of art as are their Compstar connecting rods as well. Callies also has some new products on the horizon that will change things even further. If you can afford the difference in price they have some really nice parts and they are also making the lightest LS1 crank out there that I have seen so far.

thanks for posting up erik. i really appreciate all the time your taking to fix the situation, HPE needs to take a lesson from you and take care of its customers. i would buy another engine from erik in a heartbeat. without a doubt he is the coolest and most stand up guy i have ever dealt with. especially with the situation at hand.

Chuck needs to pull his head out and realize that is hes getting scammed lately by numerous customers then he NEEDS to take care of his good customers. WTF good does it do to screw your good customers because your bad customers keep screweing you. sounds to me like thats a good way to go out of business FAST.

i dont have a problem tearing the car down and fixing it myself. i am a very hands on person, been through numerous auto classes, been through countless college classes. with all of my schooling and experience building cars and modifying cars there is nothign i could have done to prevented this. the problem im encountering was not caused by installation errors. it was not caused by erik installing anything incorrectly. it was not caused by wear and tear on the motor either. it was a simple problem caused by poor QC at eagle at the time, they have openly admitted this obviously as they now have a new QC process in which they pressure test for this particular problem.

if the motor was still out of the car then great... id fix it myself, id not worry about it and just stick some silicone on it and call it a day. all of this could have been avoided. but luck of the draw i already have the car installed. i have long tubes and my custom exhaust is tacked to my headers because we kept having clamp issues. i now get to cut all the exhaust off, drop my backbone brace, drop my entire rear cradle and torque tube, and hope and pray that the bolts/nuts on the car hold up to disassembly/assembly 1 more time. i have already had one of the nuts in the frame on the rear cradle pop the rivet loose so it spins.... its a bitch to get tightened back up correctly. how much more am i going to have to trash my freakin 50k Z06 to fix these errors???

im not into this to make money.. im not in this to screw anybody. im going through this for some sort of reassurance that the people i paid 4k for my shortblock, HPE who i gave a certified check for the FULL amount 3 months before i recieved my motor, gives a rats *** and backs up their product. am i freaking out about the clutches that are trashed?? no, im not. they add to the aggravation but i understand that broken parts are a piece of the puzzle when playing this racing game. i understand that. If i was driving and modding an Fbody this would be fixed by now and out of everyones hair... but anybody that knows anythigna bout the C5 drivetrain knows how big of a bitch this really is.. its just not something im looking forward to nor something im just goign to " deal with" as HPE so graciously put it.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

i dont have a problem tearing the car down and fixing it myself.
Damn, now that is a customer that you keep for life! lol. You can also call eagle direct, I did and I didnt even buy the crank, they shipped me one next day air for free after a little bitching from my end..
Old 12-18-2006, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Damn, now that is a customer that you keep for life! lol. You can also call eagle direct, I did and I didnt even buy the crank, they shipped me one next day air for free after a little bitching from my end..

LOL try telling that to chuck because i really dont think he gets it..

and yeah, eagle is working with me right now, im awaiting a phone call from them but for the most part he said all they would really do is fix the crank.. im SOL for anything that got broke by it being bad and all the install to fix the problem.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

where are all the LS1tech moderators for this section???? surprised i havent gotten any replies from any of them yet?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

What do you want to be said?

Sounds like you and HPE are in the process of working things out.

FWIW I got hit by the Eagle Crank too. There's a nice pic in my post here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=20

All I got from Eagle was a "sorry", and a suggestion I go buy a 1" freeze plug at my local auto parts store and replace it. Which I did. $300 and a new clutch later, I'm back in busniess. So I understand your frustration, but to be honest, I don't think it was HPE's fault, it was Eagle's fault, and they boned a bunch of us.

Hell, I didn't even get a "Sorry" out of CompCams when one of their timing chain cam gears failed and took out my LT1 motor. They copped an attitude with me. Oh well. http://www.akmcables.com/camgear.jpg

Last edited by Camaroholic; 12-18-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
What do you want to be said?

Sounds like you and HPE are in the process of working things out.

FWIW I got hit by the Eagle Crank too. There's a nice pic in my post here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=20

All I got from Eagle was a "sorry", and a suggestion I go buy a 1" freeze plug at my local auto parts store and replace it. Which I did. $300 and a new clutch later, I'm back in busniess. So I understand your frustration, but to be honest, I don't think it was HPE's fault, it was Eagle's fault, and they boned a bunch of us.

Hell, I didn't even get a "Sorry" out of CompCams when one of their timing chain cam gears failed and took out my LT1 motor. They copped an attitude with me. Oh well. http://www.akmcables.com/camgear.jpg

eeek... kinda nice to hear im not the only one then...

just recieved an email from chuck.. come to find out i think my work email accidentally blocked one of his emails. looks like hes going to do his best to make things right.

im going to proceed to try and get an answer from eagle on this whole deal. if they dont do anything at all to help me out then id expect erik and chuck to help me out (or one or the other)

thanks for the reply chuck, and thanks for the awesome communication erik, hopefully we can get this issue figured out
Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for fixing my title and stuff whoever did it, i appreciate it
Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

well, after talking to chuck all day today i must say HOLY HELL now THAT is customer service!!!!! i see where chuck was coming from and in the end he took care of his customer VERY WELL!!!!

HPE customer for life right here!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Sounds good. I recall this issue with Eagle cranks a while back.

ADMIN