LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Diamond racing pistons

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Diamond racing pistons

So I have a 408 I'm trying to put together. Actually Heres the situation.....I have a 408 that came out of my old car. I decided to throw some new pistons in the engine before I put it in my gto. Then I decided to do a new block so I bought a block (The recip kit I have is lunati) had it machined for the new pistons. Not a big deal so I took the old engine apart last week to send the crank and rods out get them back and start putting the engine together ONLY one problem they didn't make the reluctor wheel cut. So I call them and they tell me To send it to them and they will make the cut that they forgot. I want to get the car together so I took it my local machine shop They matched the cut from my old piston to the new one.

So then I called diamond back again to see if they will reimburse me they say no They need to do the cut there. So I'm really glad I just paid 980 for a set of pistons that diamond racing never finished machining.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Veteran

If they told you to send them back that means they are covering warranty. If you took it to someone else, it voids warranty.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see why you would be upset, but it is common practice to have to call the manufacturer prior to doing anything to see what the next step is. Bob
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
If they told you to send them back that means they are covering warranty. If you took it to someone else, it voids warranty.
My shortblock is all together all my rods are on the pistons. Everything has already been Set for balance. Now One of the pistons needs to be cut WHAT does that do to the balance?? This was not my mess up.... They forgot to machine the piston..... They could at least reimburse me for the machine work that they forgot. All of my rings are installed as with rods. Why should I take it all apart and send them back when my machine shop did it on the rod with the rings still installed?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I can see why you would be upset, but it is common practice to have to call the manufacturer prior to doing anything to see what the next step is. Bob
I did call them but they want me to send them back and be down longer than I already am. My engine would be back in my car right now if this hadn't happened. But now I have to hurry to try to make a race this weekend. And I still have tuning to do.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1MEANGTO
My shortblock is all together all my rods are on the pistons. Everything has already been Set for balance. Now One of the pistons needs to be cut WHAT does that do to the balance?? This was not my mess up.... They forgot to machine the piston..... They could at least reimburse me for the machine work that they forgot. All of my rings are installed as with rods. Why should I take it all apart and send them back when my machine shop did it on the rod with the rings still installed?
Because they cannot be sure that is the problem, having a shop they do not know or you telling them they forgot to machine a piston is not actual proof that is the full problem. It is why they requested you send them back or keep the ones you bought and do whatever to them at your cost.

Always plan for the worst when doing a build. Double the time, double the cost, double the things that could go wrong on a pass at the track. If you get out with less then you won't be pressed for time or stuck with a blowed up 20 mile build.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Because they cannot be sure that is the problem, having a shop they do not know or you telling them they forgot to machine a piston is not actual proof that is the full problem. It is why they requested you send them back or keep the ones you bought and do whatever to them at your cost.

Always plan for the worst when doing a build. Double the time, double the cost, double the things that could go wrong on a pass at the track. If you get out with less then you won't be pressed for time or stuck with a blowed up 20 mile build.
Ummm they actually admitted that they forgot a machining step.....

They Know that is the problem but still did not care. I wouldn't be so mad if it was ordered wrong Or I messed up but that is not the case they completely missed a machining step. It would be different if they had said we're not sure what the problem was.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Think of it this way....you own a lawn mowing company. You forgot to edge/weedeat a lawn that is out of town that you traveled to do. The customer calls to alert you of the problem, and you realize you didn't do the full job. The customer wants to have some other company do it so it's done faster. They're only going to charge the customer $50 to edge/weedeat the lawn (which is absurd of course). Are you going to reimburse your customer the $50 when you know you can drive and do it the next day for just the cost of gas (maybe $10 worth)? And would you refuse to reimburse the customer if they just went ahead and had Joe Bob's Lawn care do the rest of the work...without you consenting to reimburse them ahead of time? I mean you know what the problem is, and it's only costing you $50 to have that duplex's lawn edged (10 minutes of labor)!

I know this is overly-dramatic and not the exact same scenario....but you really have to think like the manufacturer/retailer in order to see why they do what they do!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Well I guess I will speak for our side !!!! I see you failed to let everyone know that you did not purchase the pistons directly us. You purchased them through one of our venders. Instead of telling you I could not help you and for you to call the company that you purchased the pistons through, I bend our rules and told you to please send the piston back for us to fix the mistake. However, you took it upon yourself to take the piston and have it machined elsewhere. That choice voided your warranty. I'm sorry your so upset, however I tried my best to fix this problem for you. Please next time please inform everyone the whole story before trashing our company.

Last edited by DiamondMike; 08-10-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

I won't say I trashed your company. I have in no way trashed your company.

Did I ask for the cost of assembly back? NO.... The shortblock was all together. You guys messed up and forgot to finish my pistons and now your still saying well I was gonna bend the rules just for you.

All I wanted is for you to reimburse me a few bucks for the machining cost (which wasn't much) Especially since I DIDN"T ASK for the cost of reassembly did I??? I had all the pistons re weighed and matched for the second time. Should I have had to do this? No in my opinion.
If I hadn't paid a 1000 dollars for these pistons and the cost of matching there weights already I wouldn't be so mad.

These were also purchased from a vendor on the site that I have had a problem with after I received my pistons whom I do not do busisness with any longer and that was the reason that I had asked if I could return them myself.

The money doesn't really matter to me BUT you could have at least Sent me a shirt or something.

Well this was my fifth set of pistons from diamond. And I have always suggested them to my freinds and to people on the forums.

Oh by the way I guess DIAMOND RACING DOESN'T BELEIVE in quality control.

If mike had called me back after I had left him a message tuesday then I wouldn't have been so fast to take the piston to my machine shop.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and if I had bought them direct from diamond they wouldn't have forgot to machine them all the way?

I like how in your post you weren't so fast to take blame but yet extend it to me... That shows real class.

If it was that big of deal that HiTech motorsports had to send it back then I would have. One of my best friends casey (sweet35th on this forum) is the shop manager there and said he could send it back for me and it wasn't a problem but I received no phone call back after leaving a message for mike.

Last edited by 1MEANGTO; 08-10-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
Think of it this way....you own a lawn mowing company. You forgot to edge/weedeat a lawn that is out of town that you traveled to do. The customer calls to alert you of the problem, and you realize you didn't do the full job. The customer wants to have some other company do it so it's done faster. They're only going to charge the customer $50 to edge/weedeat the lawn (which is absurd of course). Are you going to reimburse your customer the $50 when you know you can drive and do it the next day for just the cost of gas (maybe $10 worth)? And would you refuse to reimburse the customer if they just went ahead and had Joe Bob's Lawn care do the rest of the work...without you consenting to reimburse them ahead of time? I mean you know what the problem is, and it's only costing you $50 to have that duplex's lawn edged (10 minutes of labor)!

I know this is overly-dramatic and not the exact same scenario....but you really have to think like the manufacturer/retailer in order to see why they do what they do!
I do understand that but it would have actually cost me MORE money to ship than what they charged me to make the reluctor cut. The cost was re balancing the pistons and rods.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

If it was that big of deal that HiTech motorsports had to send it back then I would have. One of my best friends casey (sweet35th on this forum) is the shop manager there and said he could send it back for me and it wasn't a problem but I received no phone call back after leaving a message for mike.
So this begs the question - why didn't you have Casey help you get this resolved since he works for HT and could have told Diamond they were taking care of it.

I did call them but they want me to send them back and be down longer than I already am. My engine would be back in my car right now if this hadn't happened. But now I have to hurry to try to make a race this weekend. And I still have tuning to do.
This is the true problem right here. You didn't want to wait to return them to anyone at that point.
Lesson learned.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

So this begs the question - why didn't you have Casey help you get this resolved since he works for HT and could have told Diamond they were taking care of it.

This is the true problem right here. You didn't want to wait to return them to anyone at that point.
Lesson learned.

Once again read where I said that mike did not return my phone call.

And the lesson would be?????? Not sure what lesson your telling me I missed.

The lesson I have learned is look for a company with BETTER QUALITY CONTROL!!!!!!!!

Our New FSR (Forged Side Relief) slipper forging design allows the use of the most popular stroke and rod combinations while eliminating reluctor wheel clearence problems (see photo).

Guess next Time I'll just use JE"S

Last edited by 1MEANGTO; 08-10-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

he who hangs the piston is in full control....
Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brent@EPP
he who hangs the piston is in full control....
Yeah I can see that BUT THERE is NO reason that they missed machining processes.

Or are you gonna stick up for them on that toooooo?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah I can see that BUT THERE is NO reason that they missed machining processes.

Or are you gonna stick up for them on that toooooo?
It was a simple mistake on there part, they tried to help you but you were in a struggle with time.

Mistakes happen, ever heard of re-calls on cars?

Im not sure where the problem is here?

They offered to help, you refused, now your out a few bucks?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Don't really care in fact I'm over it but I DO want people to know what kind of company they are.

JAKE@EPP
They offered to help, you refused, now your out a few bucks?
And it would have ended up costing me more money to send it back to them. For the spyro locks and reassymbly of the pistons and rods.

The funny thing is when I talked to my friend at hitech he said 70% of the time diamond doesn't put that cut in them. They usually end up doing it there he actually thought they were suppose to make the cut.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
FormerVendor

Don't really care in fact I'm over it but I DO want people to know what kind of company they are.

JAKE@EPP

And it would have ended up costing me more money to send it back to them. For the spyro locks and reassymbly of the pistons and rods.

The funny thing is when I talked to my friend at hitech he said 70% of the time diamond doesn't put that cut in them. They usually end up doing it there he actually thought they were suppose to make the cut.
While it worthless to debate this, the fact still lies you didn't take the manufactures offer to make it right, im shure they would have worked something out for the few bucks shipping would have cost.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

They never offered. They also never offered any shipping payment.

Quick Reply: Diamond racing pistons