LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Any one having problems with Scott at DLS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007 | 04:03 AM
12 Second Club

Damn.... I bought from them too and my 9" is the same as the OP... insanely loud at anything over 40-50mph. Although I have had a response from Scott.... told me to take the center section out and return it for a rebuild. Thats all good and dandy but damn... I am still pissed that I have to go this route to remedy the problem that shouldnt be there in the first place. Im out time and shipping at least to him on this. I have about 1000 miles on my 9", used 85w140 from the start, did the proper break in... still freakin loud.

I purchased my 9" complete, not in pieces, and paid more to ship it that way. I certainly expected more. Especially after seeing the "testimonial" on Scotts site.

DRIVELINE SOLUTIONS - Props go out to one hell of a 9" build.

I wanted all to know my experience with Scott.

Story goes I was on my second rebuild with a Strange 12bolt and it still was all messed up. I was so fed up with
it I had pulled it out of the car and listed it on eBay that is how bad it got.

I was referred to Scott by another member on LS1tech so I gave Scott a call and was floored by the
professionalism. We spoke for a half hour about my situation and I decided I wanted him to build me a 9".
This is one of the best decisions I have made so far with the Camaro.

First off my car is a M6 (spec clutch ceramic) I launch the car on a 2-step at 5500 on Hooser QTP set a 12psi and
the car dead hooks.

My impressions are at the track (True Trac) diff is sick compared to a clutch posi night/day engagement is strong
you can feel the difference. Car feels great. On the Street no issues works like it should feels great in turns
powder out of the apex very positive feeling.

MOST IMPORTANT NO NOISE WHINE HOWL ANYTHING. DEAD QUIET!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to tell all what a positive experience I had with Scott great guy.

Chris Servido
Im seriously thinking about just spending a few hundred bucks locally to have my 9" rebuilt with better gears.

When I purchased my 9" I had confidence in Scott... I thought he was supposed to be the best. I dont feel that way anymore, unfortunately.

FWIW my experience with DLS hasnt been that great all the way through.... my 9" was delivered to me on a pallet. Problem was... it wasnt strapped to the pallet. My $2400 9" was delivered to me in horrible shape.. no straps.. no securing.. and it had been dropped off the pallet numerous times during shipping. How do I know this? Studs were severly damaged, e-brake shoes and cabling was damaged, backing plates were broken, the rear end had been dropped on the yoke. I sent it back to Scott the day it was delivered to me. Scott told me that he would inspect the rear for damage, check the gears, and then send me a new unit or if mine was "ok" he would send it back to me. Well.. the SAME housing with new backing plates and a fresh coat of paint was delivered to me later that month. I dont feel confident that Scott opened the housing up to inspect it.. I suspect that all he did was slap new backing plates on then sprayed it with paint and sent it back. My 9" is loud as hell... leaks from the drain plug and center section... and I have a vibration during decel that Im now convinced is directly related to the damage during shipping.

It seems to me that more people have had issues then I thought. I just wish Scott would compensate me for a rebuild locally. There is no way in hell Im going to take this thing out and send it back as a whole. I dont have the time and Im not throwing my 10 bolt back in for the time being.

I found a local shop to rebuild the rear for $387 plus tax. Hell if Scott was willing to cover half I would be happy.

If youre reading this Scott... I would appreciate a response.
Old 12-22-2007 | 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Holy crap, and I thought my experience was bad, I think you got me beat. The "only" thing damaged during my shipping was the U bolts on the yoke got a little bent from the poor packing job and my center section gasket got cut in 2 during shipping.

With him not calling us back, it really makes you wonder.

I'm giving him till Christmas morning to get back to me so we can discuss this. If he doesn't call me back then I'll leave a VERY LONG POST with PICS in the Sponsor feedback section about my experience and I hope other people having issues with him post in there as well.

With so many people having issues and he won't CALL anyone back, I'm thinking we should take legal action against him at the beginning on the year. I'm going to check with our company lawyer and plead my case along with others to see what we can do. I'm guessing small claims court and the judge will probably garnish his wages.
Old 12-22-2007 | 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Here is the last post Scott made on here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=37

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
You guys are not taking into consideration that everything is aftermarket. From the center section to the gears and they did not factor in quietness when they produced them. I have been building rears for over 15 years and I have seen everything from the aftermarket to the OEM. Believe me everyone has gear noise problems. As a matter of fact I am accepting a new job after the first of the year at AAM, American Axle and MFG, in their gear lab. I have had a few interviews with them and I have seen their process from start to finish. Now we are talking maybe 20 parts per million and not just one gear set, big difference.

Maybe this is his fair well post to all of us....
Old 12-22-2007 | 06:20 AM
Launching!

I am not trying to trash Scott in any way But if its 20 sets in a million it seems like they all got sold through him to alot of us.He has been nce to me since day 1 but I have never believed that these rears are going to be as loud as they are.I know people will say why dont you send them back or something to that effect,but the point is we should not have these problems in the first place.and when multiple people keep coming accros the same problem a vendor should own up to it and take care of it completely.thats why I have not torn mine down againI would just get angry to have to pay to ship it back then wait on and hope its correct when it returns.when I get fed up wit the noise I will tear it down and take it local that way I have someone I can look in the eye if something is not right.
Old 12-22-2007 | 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

I found some gear install instructions on Motive Gears website. Check it out, it might help when you pull the center section to check the pattern wear for drive and coast.

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/...tructions.html

Bill
Old 12-22-2007 | 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billiumss
I actually called him about 4-5 times (over 2 week period) and left a message each time with my phone number to call me back.

What more am I suppose to do?
Call him from a different number and act like a new customer wanting to buy something.

With all the BS I've heard about this guy I'm never going to buy from him. Seems like if he has a new job offer from AAM then he's not going to have time to repair a bunch of returns so he's avoiding them. Shitty thing to do to people.
Old 12-22-2007 | 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

I still have pictures from when my 9" was delivered. Ill post them soon.
Old 12-22-2007 | 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Hey bill, if you can't get resolution from the seller, try a 4x4 shop. They are usually meticulous at setting up gears and they deal with much steeper ratios than us car guys dream of running.
Old 12-22-2007 | 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by gillbot
Hey bill, if you can't get resolution from the seller, try a 4x4 shop. They are usually meticulous at setting up gears and they deal with much steeper ratios than us car guys dream of running.
Good idea, thanks James!!!
Old 12-22-2007 | 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

This was my experience . I ordered moser allu. thu bolt 4:30 street gear,spool,10 bolt pro support,forged 1350 yoke . He said he would use strange 4:33 gears because they were a better cut. I also installed a chassic mount ta and a cm drive shaft and rod ended lca . When I got it I put it right in oct 06 . Broke it in on stands and started driving it to work 20 miles each way though it would be good for breakin . It started getting load and had a vibration so I play with pinion angle . Put stock trans mount in and poly lca tried stock drive shaft. Nothing made it better . After 300 miles it got real loud . He said to change gear oil [25 bucks] no change . So I pull it out pattern looks bad and it has 4:22 richmond gears . So I send it back [40 bucks] . I get it back and it has motive 4:30 gears . I didn't get to put it back in till like july 07 because I did a bunch of other stuff on a budget [25 bucks gear oil] . Still had a vibration over 65 mph and got loud as hell after 300 miles of back and forth to work 40 miles a day . I Couldn't hear the radio . He said to change oil to 85/140 [25 bucks] no help . So I pull it back out pattern looked bad . He said he wasn't worried about the noise and maybe send it back to him this winter . Well I wasn't putting it back in like that so I had someone local rebuild it [450 bucks + 25 bucks for gear oil] . When he took it apart there was an adapter on the rear bearing of the pinion support [10 bolt pinion support is for large pinion pro gear] was all screwed up looked like it was pressed on sideways . So new motive gears daytona pinion support and support bearing . And he had to machine the yoke because it wasn't for a daytona style support. I was wondering why when I got it the first 2 times the pinion nut was sticking out like it wasn't on all the way . When I got it in this time dead quite no vibration and I have like 400 miles now . Good luck.................
Old 12-22-2007 | 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the last post Scott made on here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=37

Maybe this is his fair well post to all of us....
Is DLS an LLC?
Old 12-22-2007 | 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Just call Bob at EPP in the future he is great to work with. My rear is a bit noisy but he wasnt the one that set it up moser was. My experience with him was great and would buy from him again in the future without thinking twice.

The only way you will ever get a proper set up rear end that is not noisy is once you buy it take the center to a good company and have it set up correctly. It can take a very long time to get these set up perfect and no builder that is mass producing these things can or will take the time to make them perfect.

I have a bit of noise on decel that bugs me and I will likely take the center out in early spring and have it set up correctly along with new motive gears.

Short version call Bob at EPP
Old 12-23-2007 | 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by formula98ws6
This was my experience . I ordered moser allu. thu bolt 4:30 street gear,spool,10 bolt pro support,forged 1350 yoke . He said he would use strange 4:33 gears because they were a better cut. I also installed a chassic mount ta and a cm drive shaft and rod ended lca . When I got it I put it right in oct 06 . Broke it in on stands and started driving it to work 20 miles each way though it would be good for breakin . It started getting load and had a vibration so I play with pinion angle . Put stock trans mount in and poly lca tried stock drive shaft. Nothing made it better . After 300 miles it got real loud . He said to change gear oil [25 bucks] no change . So I pull it out pattern looks bad and it has 4:22 richmond gears . So I send it back [40 bucks] . I get it back and it has motive 4:30 gears . I didn't get to put it back in till like july 07 because I did a bunch of other stuff on a budget [25 bucks gear oil] . Still had a vibration over 65 mph and got loud as hell after 300 miles of back and forth to work 40 miles a day . I Couldn't hear the radio . He said to change oil to 85/140 [25 bucks] no help . So I pull it back out pattern looked bad . He said he wasn't worried about the noise and maybe send it back to him this winter . Well I wasn't putting it back in like that so I had someone local rebuild it [450 bucks + 25 bucks for gear oil] . When he took it apart there was an adapter on the rear bearing of the pinion support [10 bolt pinion support is for large pinion pro gear] was all screwed up looked like it was pressed on sideways . So new motive gears daytona pinion support and support bearing . And he had to machine the yoke because it wasn't for a daytona style support. I was wondering why when I got it the first 2 times the pinion nut was sticking out like it wasn't on all the way . When I got it in this time dead quite no vibration and I have like 400 miles now . Good luck.................

Thanks for the additional info about your experience with Scott, it might come useful for some of us in the not to distant future. Sorry to hear about this though...
Old 12-23-2007 | 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

EnforcerWS6,

Bob from EPP is a great guy and I almost bought from him. The reason I didn't and bought from DLS was from the research I did and since Scott built his own center sections, I felt, at the time, that there was a more personal touch, since Scott himself was building it and has many years experience of build rear ends.

At the time I felt it would be better to go with the guy that I talked to that builds the center section than go with Moser, since so many people have issues with Moser's build quality over the past few years.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I might have went with Bob at EPP and took my chances with Moser built center section. At least if there was an issue, I could at least get a hold of Bob when needed.
Old 12-23-2007 | 06:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Enforcerws6
Just call Bob at EPP in the future he is great to work with. My rear is a bit noisy but he wasnt the one that set it up moser was. My experience with him was great and would buy from him again in the future without thinking twice.

The only way you will ever get a proper set up rear end that is not noisy is once you buy it take the center to a good company and have it set up correctly. It can take a very long time to get these set up perfect and no builder that is mass producing these things can or will take the time to make them perfect.

I have a bit of noise on decel that bugs me and I will likely take the center out in early spring and have it set up correctly along with new motive gears.

Short version call Bob at EPP
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 12-23-2007 | 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

EnforcerWS6,

Bob from EPP is a great guy and I almost bought from him. The reason I didn't and bought from DLS was from the research I did and since Scott built his own center sections, I felt, at the time, that there was a more personal touch, since Scott himself was building it and has many years experience of build rear ends.
Thats exactly why I went with DLS. I have bought several other items from Bob @ EPP but for the reasons you listed above is why I went with DLS.

In all honesty.. If I could go back I would have had one built locally. I have a couple good shops local that I was considering but I felt DLS was the way to go.. which is why I bought it complete and ready to install.
Old 12-23-2007 | 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

BilliumSS - You should ask a Mod to move this to the Sponsor feedback section for better visibility. Maybe they can get in touch with him on your behalf.
Old 12-24-2007 | 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Scott posted in the other thread last night at 3:30am but I have yet to here from him, either by PM, email or phone. He must think I'm a joke, he will be wrong....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=46
Old 12-24-2007 | 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
BilliumSS - You should ask a Mod to move this to the Sponsor feedback section for better visibility. Maybe they can get in touch with him on your behalf.

Scott has until 12pm tomorrow to get in contact with me, then I will move things along.
Old 12-24-2007 | 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

heres my expirence with dls. Bought my rear end maybe 5 months ago. shipping took longer then expeceted but i eventually recieved it a month after the purchase. Housing and axles were shipped from moser themselves and the third member was shipped from dls. I was a little dissappointed that the third member was shipped in a cardboard box with stuffed insulation. i was hoping more or a wooden crate or a abs molded plastic, but anyways the third member wasn't damaged so it was all good. Had reached scott through his phone about 75% of the times that i've called him. 5 months later and many abuse, the rear end is holding up great. there is a noticable whine between 60mph-80mph, but it was like that since day one. I'm not worried about it since months later the whine hasn't changed in pitch, or loudness. It does leak a bit between the third member and the housing but im using crappy gaskets that came with the third member and it ripped on me. other then that its doing great. Im hoping its just a hiccup and could get this resolve properly. he does build nice rear ends.

Avengence i dunno where u live in cali but theres a place here in san jose called rear end specialties, and they do awesome work. They helped me out when i was having axle bearing issues.

Quick Reply: Any one having problems with Scott at DLS?