LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

QTP Catted Y = Worst Y pipe EVER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP Catted Y = Worst Y pipe EVER!!!

So this past week, I've been thrashing on my car (QTP Headers, QTP Catted Y and N2O kit) Got everything installed at my buddies shop and installed the Y, tucked it up as tight as possible, and guess what?!?? Only about 2 inches of clearance under the drivers side cat. Needless to say, the cat was severely busted up just from my drive home on these lovely California freeways. So the following day I took my car to my exhaust guy and had him tuck it up as tight as possible. Well, that didn't work either.

The Y was just designed to hang down horribly low at the drivers side. So today I was taking it over to another exhaust shop to have the cats cut off and ORY's welded in place. I have a 4 mile trek. I make it 20 feet and the drivers side pipe comes off the collector. No biggie, Ill milk it to the exhaust shop. Nope. Hit one TINY little bump and off the whole thing comes. So I drag this Y pipe under my car about 50 feet to the curb and call AAA. They pick me up 30 mins later and take my car to the exhaust shop and the work is done. Cool. It still has pretty shitty clearance, but it is admittedly 1000X better than what it was. Car is running good, aside from spewing the remainder of the cat guts out from the pipes and clearance is decent.

I will be hitting up my exhaust guy for a fully custom Y pipe next week.

Moral of the story: QTP Headers = Custom Y Pipe.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:18 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are posting this for???? If you have an issue with a sponsor's products take it up with them. We don't need this thread to stir the pot. I am moving this to Sponsor feedback. I am sure that Barry will be interested to read what you wrote anyway.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Considering there is no mention of contacting Quick Time Performance on your part, an email has been sent for them to reply.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

I basically just posted this to vent. I LOVE the QTP headers (considering I was tuned for stock manifolds when they were put one and I picked up in the neighborhood of a good 20rwhp from the Headers alone) and I love their Qtech cutouts and their overall build quality is just absoutly amazing.

My only gripe is the Y-pipe. It went up quickly and easily, it was well thought out in that department, but the functional fitment with regards to ground clearance was just absoutly unacceptable. The headers tucked up so well, but the Y-pipe literally left me with around 1.5 inches of clearance.

My suggestion to QTP would be to accomodate the drivers side with a nice oval piece of pipe and to move the cat rearward to allow it to tuck up tighter to the body and allow for more clearance. This would solve 95% of my issues with the y-pipe system. As it is, I had to cut the cats off and weld up some pipe in thier place and tuck the Y up so tight to the body that it is ALWAYS rattling against the underbody, and Im STILL having clearance issues going into my driveway. My car is lowered, but it sits considerably higher than an Eibach Sportline kit and maybe a touch higher than the Hotchkis or Eibach Pro Kit sits (I have coilovers)

Please dont take my original post the wrong way. I am a huge fan of the QTP products, all of them excluding their LS1 Y-Pipe systems.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Considering there is no mention of contacting Quick Time Performance on your part, an email has been sent for them to reply.
And thank you for contacting them. I would be interested in sharing some ideas to vastly improve their design with them. I truly believe that they are cutting themselves short with a world class header and a sub par Y-pipe.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Sharing your expierence with them would help both parties. You could discuss installation, design, materials, common and known issues etc. but they have nothing to consider if you do not contact them directly.

Just a thought.