LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

review: Ace Racing Transmissions + Circle-D tc

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up review: Ace Racing Transmissions + Circle-D tc

Background

My car has over 94k miles and the transmission was feeling a bit worn out, plus it was leaking. I had an inkling the transmission wouldn't be able to see 100k miles. I figured it was time to upgrade and set a solid foundation for future mods.

I did some research and decided on Ace. After exchanging PMs with Gil over at Ace I decided on a Stage 2. Initially I was gonna go for the Stage 1 but I thought the Stage 2 might be a better choice. Called up Gil and placed an order for a Stage 2.

I figured since I might as well get a torque converter while I'm changing out the transmission. Again, did some research and decided on Circle-D. I PMed Chris for some info. I ordered their mild 11' 2800-3000 t/c. I would have went bigger but my car, for now at least, is a commuter and I really didn't want to take huge hit in mpgs. I'll get a bigger converter in the future after my car is retired from daily driver duty.

I already had a B&M trans. cooler to go with the setup.

Driving impressions

My new setup performs well for daily driver duties. It shifts nice and the car feels a lot quicker. The quick shifting helps, especially when you have to get around a slow driver clogging up a lane. It feels good to know that if the situation calls for it the transmission can keep up.

I took the car out on a canyon run. I was pacing a stock '02 Z06. The driver is friend of mine and he's had a couple open track sessions under his belt, so he's technically a better driver than me. I let him lead and gave him enough space between our cars just in case he had to do some crazy braking. Obviously he lost me on the turns. I was really pushing the stock suspension. But on the straights I caught up to him. Throughout the twists and turns the transmission performed flawlessly. I knew I could drive the car hard and not worry about the transmission failing. My friend wants me to go to an open road course with him and I might do that later in the year when I
update the brakes and suspension. I'm confident the Stage 2 can handle that kind of punishment.

One thing: with the transmission it's easier to get into trouble. I can cruise around 80, hit the throttle, and hit triple digits very easily .

Later in the month I'm gonna bring the car to my tuner and have him make couple adjustments to the tune. Because of time constraints I couldn't get the tune after the install.

Dealing with Gil and Chris was a pleasure. They outlined my options very clearly. I really appreciate the fact they didn't push me to go a certain direction. One thing I really hate is when I'm buying something and I get the 'upsell'. That's a deal killer for me. No upselling from Gil or Chris, just info and options. They leave the ultimate decision to you, the consumer.

Joe
Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two great sponsors for sure. I have had some experience with both and both of which have been straight up with us here at FLT. I look forward to doing business with both in the future. Keep up the good work guys! Vince
Old 08-03-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad everything went well!!!

im looking into getting my trans beefed up really soon as well..
Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the review
Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Joe. It's always a pleasure working with guys who do their homework. It makes our job much easier! If you need any tips on the Tuning just let me know.

Have fun on your trip! Be safe too!

g
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Customer service is what sets you apart from the competition.

Chris

Quick Reply: review: Ace Racing Transmissions + Circle-D tc