LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Front end problems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front end problems!

Took monte into the dealership today for at least 3 diffrent symptoms. One simular to when i had the ISS replaced.

I've been noticing for a while that theres been a clicking when i turn my wheel only audible when i'm in the garage and i've lived with that for a while. Now im getting a harsh clunk when turning my wheel from left to right at a decent rate and i'm feeling alot of clunking in the pedal and steering wheel so i took her in this morning. My factory warranty is gone but i have a extended MPP warranty which is a bumber to bumper warranty wish me luck
Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

steering rack & wheel bearings...

have had both replaced on mine...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know what they find.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Going in for the same issue this thurs. except mine is when turning the wheel to the left i feel the clunkinh you described. feel it in the wheel and brake pedal if braking.
thinking its the rack and maybe the ISS again as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey hey make that 3, mine is making a bad clunking/scrapping sound when turning in a tight radius. My Cutlass Supreme does the same thing, it is a W-Body trademark.

This time I have a warranty so hopefully they will fix it. Mine sounds like the suspension is grinding and clunking on itself. Mostly when in reverse and backing out of a parking spot, otherwise the car is great.

Darn W-Bodies.....should have bought a Trans Am or a GTO....
Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

They called me back and said it was my ISS again. This time i get the new designed steering shaft. Hopefully this fix's all the symptoms as they are abit diffrent sence the last time i had the ISS problem

Last edited by Sint3k; 11-04-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

tell them to check the worm gear in the rack thats what mine was and it took three techs to finally find it if you put the car on the lift and forcefuly shake the wheel from left to right you will be able to trace it to the rack the worm gear loosens up
Old 11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well they did not fix it. I drove my car 30 seconds after i got it and knew it wasn't fixed yet. I took it back and showed them the symptoms again. I'm going to take it back to them in the morning again wee..
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well they called me and i've picked my car up.

After they diagnosed the clunking and ticking and noises coming from the front they are replacing the engine cradle and the steering rack.

The engine cradle was causing the ticking noise as it was being stressed when the wheels where turning. The problem with the cradle was a fractured weld. GM is going to replace this even tho i'm out of my warranty. They said the steering rack is whats causing the looseness/clunking in my steering. They ordered the cradle and i have to bring it back for them to put everything in. Hopefully that solves everything! Estimated repair is around 3,000 $ 1,500 for each repair including parts. Luckily i got that extended warranty as i only paid 2.3k for it and its basically paid for itself
Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Good Luck!!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Ok well they called me and i've picked my car up.

After they diagnosed the clunking and ticking and noises coming from the front they are replacing the engine cradle and the steering rack.

The engine cradle was causing the ticking noise as it was being stressed when the wheels where turning. The problem with the cradle was a fractured weld. GM is going to replace this even tho i'm out of my warranty. They said the steering rack is whats causing the looseness/clunking in my steering. They ordered the cradle and i have to bring it back for them to put everything in. Hopefully that solves everything! Estimated repair is around 3,000 $ 1,500 for each repair including parts. Luckily i got that extended warranty as i only paid 2.3k for it and its basically paid for itself
Hey
Do you you think that you may be able to get pictures of the area of the crack and possibly the exact location on the cradle. This would allow other members/owners to check for the same fault on their rides.
Thanks

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 11-06-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
Hey
Do you you think that you may be able to get pictures of the area of the crack and possibly the exact location on the cradle. This would allow other members/owners to check for the same fault on their rides.
Thanks
I already dropped the car off to be repaired and i asked them the location of the fracture its at the mounting area on the rear driver size. They also pointed out i have another bent lateral arm...................................

I'm replacing all of the rear end with BMR products after i install my halo's and wiring my new interior lighting.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cheers for the response, maybe when you pick up your car they will let you get a picture of the fractured area. good luck with it all!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my car back today and the front end is much much much much better. The loose CLUNK feel during high left/right turns and the clicking noise is gone. Total repair is 2,400 dollars. Luckily i'm 500 miles over and they repaired it under factory warranty.

Parts where upgraded intermediate shaft , steering rack , engine cradle , front sway and new bushings. Also changed my brakes a few days before and flushed the fluid and it feels like brand new again.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

my 07 impala ss is doing the same thing. I thought that it may be the steering shaft like the ones that go bad in the trucks. it has the same symptoms as my truck did. it is a rebuild so I guess I am screwed

Quick Reply: Front end problems!