LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dead Battery and a-hole dealership

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Battery and a-hole dealership

Last week I had my second dead battery in two years. Last Feb, car had10,000 miles, it was cold but the car had been in my garage. Took it to the deler where they removed the 625CCA and installed the new 720 CCA under warranty of course. Good deal I thought. Now 2 weeks ago, same deal, dead battery. I put the car on a charger, got it started and drove it to the dealer. He says I'll need to leave it for tests. I get a ride home and he calls me back. Say's there is nothing wrong with the battery, I must have left something on. I say BS, the car is supposed to have protection for that. Anyways, we go back and forth and eventually I agree to take it home. Then he tells me they broke the negative cable clamp and I'll have to wait a day. I go in the next day and get the car, the jerk acts like he has no idea who I was even though I was there and saw him the day before and had a long conversation with him about my problem. Well, the car is clean so I take it home. 5 days later, and the battery is dead again. I call the same guy up and he says to bring it in. I charge the battery again and take the car in. I show up and again the guy is like "who are you?" I tell him again and he says I'll need to leave the car for a couple of days so they can see if something is killing the battery over time. I agree, they give me a ride home and the next day the guy calls and says there is nothing wrong with it again. I get pissed and tell him I will not take the car until they fix it. He say's it will be a couple more days. I agree. Then the jerk calls me back an hour later and says, "oh, we took the battey out of the car and it failed on the bench. They will put in a new one. I say fine, make sure you put the 725 CCA back in. I go pick up the car and the weather is crap, so I did not look over the car. I ask the guy why it took two visit to change the battery? He says "he can't change it until it fails, blah blah blah..." I say, OK, so did you put in the latest greatest biggest battery available? He says yes sir. I take the car home, put in in my garage, pop the hood and see they put the 625CCA in instead of the 720. I'm pissed! I call the guy up and ask him WTF? he starts in with "they put in the same batt as they took out" and telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Then I tell him that I have the paperwork from when they put in the last battery and I'm coming down to the dealership to straighten this out. I go down there and again, the a-hole is like "who are you?" I'm about ready to have a fit, but I don't, he gets Goober to come out and tell me it's the same battery. I show them my paperwork and they say "huh, how did they screw up the paperwork last time?" now I'm really getting pissed and I insist on seeing the core. Goober goes and gets it and come back all smiling saying he's sorry and doesn't know how he missed that detail. They both kind of appologize and the service writer say's he'll figure it out and call me tomorrow. I say OK and take the car home. I get it in my garage, pop the hood again and look at it a little closer with a flash light and see all kinds of white crusty corrosion around the battery tray, I just shake my head and call it a day. I wait for his call the next day. When he does not call, I call him and he says "oh yeah, he does not know how I got that 720 CCA battery, but the one in there now is the correct one. Then He tells me that He'll need a perfect score on my satisfaction survey, I laugh, tell him this was the worst treatment I've ever received, tell him about the corrosion on the battery tray and ask him why that was not cleaned up? He say's warranty does not cover that. What a bunch of BS. I am pissed! Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's a tsb about the battery. Those tards. Anyways you're better off getting a optima or something other than another delco door stop.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way you got screwed, demand a replacement and stay and watch it get installed, that is the only way I would except it!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neilownz
There's a tsb about the battery. Those tards. Anyways you're better off getting a optima or something other than another delco door stop.
I looked for the TSB, and found a couple about electrical drainage, but nothing that pointed directlat the batt. I think I'll probably end up going with the Optima. I've had great results from them on other applications.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

1. Find another dealership for repairs.
2. Light up that customer survey.
3. Talk to the service manager and mention that you have posted your story on the net.

Everyone has dealership horror stories. The truth of the matter is that many do not care like you do. This is why some of us wrench. The only person that cares enough to do the job to your satisfaction is you.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Talk about your dumbass dealers. If you leave something on in your car, the car turns it off. There is no way for something to stay on long enough short leaving the key in the vehicle and leaving it in accessory mode that is. Clearly something is wrong with the electrical system...

Explain to the dealer he's a ******* retard a find a different dealer, plus complain to customer service.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Get the Red Top and kill them on the survey.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the support guys, advice well taken.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did I miss something? I'm wondering why you haven't posted the dealership information? Do us all a favor, give us the info so we know not to go to this place!!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Just put an Optima Red Top in there yourself.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

He may have a parasitic draw. The RAP relay cuts accessory power after 10 min but that doesn't mean it cuts all power. Some modules draw a small amount of current with the key off which is acceptable. It seems like some GM cars and trucks have been having an issue with modules " waking up " when they shouldn't causing a current draw. Did they perform a parasitic draw test? Should be 25 milliamps or less. For instance, something like a bad blower motor control module can cause a draw even with everything off. Sorry to hear about your troubles good luck!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

agrees with above.they probably didnt do a full charging system test either.probably checked the battery and that was it.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

I feel and know your pain 1st hand. Similar thing happened to me at a Sears in Tyler, TX about 10 years ago. Sent the wife to the nearest Sears store where I had bought the battery which happened to be 50+ miles away. It had the voltage but not the amps to start my Chevy dooley.

They sent her back saying it was just fine. I had her buy another battery the same size so that I could hook all my CB radio stuff up to it. I put the old battery back on the truck 1 more time just to see and click, click... So I called Sears and BITCHED em out royally and said I'll be there 1st thing the next morning. Blocked the bay doors, asked for the manager from yesterday that I had talked to, and low and behold, he called in sick.

The person in charge tried to start giving me grief and I shut him down hard and fast. I also told him that there was my truck, I'll pop the hood and remove the existing battery for him so that he could hook the old 1 back up himself. And as an added bonus, if it started my truck, he could bend over in front of everyone and I'd kiss his ***. He didn't even want to try it, just went to the back and brought out another battery, which is all I wanted in the 1st place. It's very frustrating when something like this happens.

I've had a Ford 3/4 ton where the radio shorted and drained the battery quit often until I figured it out. Had a Mitsubishi Diamante to do the same thing. Usually took a while to drain the battery unless the vehicle set still for periods of time. Moral of my story, your not alone. I know it doesn't make the situation any better. Hope you get everything settled in your favor.

Give em HELL and never back down!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
agrees with above.they probably didnt do a full charging system test either.probably checked the battery and that was it.
Yeah, they claimed all the tests were done, but I don't know if I trust them. I want to talk to the dservice manager after the holidays before I post their name, but if you are from North East Wisconsin, you know who they are. As for checking and doing the work myself, I'm down for that, I definately have "skills", I was just trying to get them to do my light work since it's under warranty.

Last edited by tonskiguy; 12-25-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Teching In

From a dealer stand point ill say this, we cant replace a battery under warrenty with out a Code from the battery tester. But Normally i would make a battery fail. And throw one in the car. Also we dont go off the CCA, honestly the CCA isnt everything when it comes to batterys. Its not the batterys power. Thats a rating of amps at a certain temp COLD CRANKING AMPS. That battery is way over what you would need to start the car. But to leave a light on all night, and still start in the AM, sure. Which battery is in your car 101-6yr? 74-6yr? If a 101-6yr came out your car a 101-6yr is going back in. Doesnt matter if they changed the CCA on that model. For him not remebering, we have more than 10 customers, im sure they do to. I know alot of our customers, cant put the car to the faces though.

Other than letting you have your car back with out making sure it was the battery first, I dont see any flaws in there service.

As for that survey, that is our CSI, the higher the CSI the more power we have to make judgment calls on claims, the more GM trust us, the less claims get denied, the less strict we have to be about warrenty work. So you mark them bad and anything but Completely satisfied is BAD, your hurting everyone else. Also for us, every year (maby not this one) we recieve a CSI bonus from GM, the sales/service/parts CSI determines how much that is. Alot of people rely on that. Maby your advisor is a dumb ***, and the tech is new to making work for yourself. Work=money. But everyone else in the dealer gets nailed for it. If you cant fill out completely satisfied just please bit your lip and throw it away. Or if you still do you prob wont recieve another one as you go on the "Black list".

Just another point of view. Thanks for the insult by refering to your tech as goober.

And i always here this talk from people oh i would have demanded the service manager and i would have done this and that, thing is he prob will step in with out being asked for and things made write if there is an issue. And the only people i do see DEMANDING him is old people that dont wanna be told there wrong from someone less than half there age. So that tells me the storys always worse on the net. Than it was at the dealer.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01zx6arrrr
...Or if you still do you prob wont recieve another one as you go on the "Black list".
Could you tell us more about this "black list?" Does it go beyond whether or not you receive other surveys?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01zx6arrrr
From a dealer stand point ill say this, we cant replace a battery under warrenty with out a Code from the battery tester. But Normally i would make a battery fail. And throw one in the car. Also we dont go off the CCA, honestly the CCA isnt everything when it comes to batterys. Its not the batterys power. Thats a rating of amps at a certain temp COLD CRANKING AMPS. That battery is way over what you would need to start the car. But to leave a light on all night, and still start in the AM, sure. Which battery is in your car 101-6yr? 74-6yr? If a 101-6yr came out your car a 101-6yr is going back in. Doesnt matter if they changed the CCA on that model. For him not remebering, we have more than 10 customers, im sure they do to. I know alot of our customers, cant put the car to the faces though.

Other than letting you have your car back with out making sure it was the battery first, I dont see any flaws in there service.

As for that survey, that is our CSI, the higher the CSI the more power we have to make judgment calls on claims, the more GM trust us, the less claims get denied, the less strict we have to be about warrenty work. So you mark them bad and anything but Completely satisfied is BAD, your hurting everyone else. Also for us, every year (maby not this one) we recieve a CSI bonus from GM, the sales/service/parts CSI determines how much that is. Alot of people rely on that. Maby your advisor is a dumb ***, and the tech is new to making work for yourself. Work=money. But everyone else in the dealer gets nailed for it. If you cant fill out completely satisfied just please bit your lip and throw it away. Or if you still do you prob wont recieve another one as you go on the "Black list".

Just another point of view. Thanks for the insult by refering to your tech as goober.

And i always here this talk from people oh i would have demanded the service manager and i would have done this and that, thing is he prob will step in with out being asked for and things made write if there is an issue. And the only people i do see DEMANDING him is old people that dont wanna be told there wrong from someone less than half there age. So that tells me the storys always worse on the net. Than it was at the dealer.
Very well put, i work at a dealer too. One bad CSI report will ruin your score even if the rest are good. The point system is terrible, Ex. if you get a 3 out of 4 on a CSI that is 75% which can really bring your score down
Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then I guess the dealers shouldn't be such ********! Respect the customer, they/we are the ones or the reasons you have a job, even warranty issues. We the customer's bought the car from GM, in this case, if the car was never purchased (and sat on the lot for eternity) then the dealer wouldn't be servicing it! Good customer service and a quality repair, then a good score will be had. Any ******* that doesn't believe this (like some that work for dealers) **** off! How else will GM find out who the shitty repairing dealers are? Kinda makes you realize why GM is going under, I wonder how much more of my tax dollars are going to help fucked up companies like this? The end is near, I hope for your sake ^ you can work on a Ford!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Imagine that...silly me thought that the survey was a tool to improve customer service. So, let me get this right, I am supposed to give completely satisfied ratings even if I am not because it hurts somebody financially? So...that guy who was unhappy at IHOP, the one who I saw goob in my syrup, I should bite my lip, fill out a survey saying I was completely happy with the service and give him a big tip because he depends on it?

My second to last survey, where the dealer told me they were ordering my sunroof (as it was broken in winter and manually closed, although would still lift up slightly above 40 MPH and bathe me in frigid air) and then closed out my ticket a month later, just to keep their records looking good. After I got the survey 2 weeks after that and dinged them on it, my sunroof was magically ordered and replaced in less than a week (and they had to order three assembly's just to get one complete one out of them.) They were pissed off at me for dinging them. I was of the opinion that had they simply called me and said "Hey we sorta tried to order it once and it was backordered/cancelled and we forgot to reorder it" I would have been fine. Mistakes are made, it is how they are handled that counts. Closing out the order, never calling me, well, had I just bit my lip and gave a fully satisfied survey, I would still be freezing my bits off. The survey works as it is supposed to work.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually i can work on Fords, i went to school for it and i have ford credentials i just ended up getting a job at a Gm dealer I am not trying to argue with anyone here, every dealer has its good and bad people within it. If they did you wrong then whack them on the survey you reserve every right to.