LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is best, whistle , low whistle, no whistle!!!

Here is yet another option:
http://www.tdperformance.com/categories/?id=3223
Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

interesting... same exact site as the hamburger site...

heh, just noticed at the top, its all the same company...

but these are cheaper!!

woohoo!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-31-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idea behind the grooves cut into the spacer is to create a "tornado" or "toilet bowl" effect to the incoming air. They claim that getting the air to "spin" allows for better mixture of the fuel when its injected into the incoming air. The problem with this idea is that the intake manifold has runners that divide up where the air goes to before the air sees the injected fuel. Therefore, I find it very hard to belive that the air is still "spinning" by the time it reaches the fuel injector. IMO, the whistle noise is the sign of turbulence in the intake. Turbulence may be good for mixing fuel, but bad for air velocity. I don't think our stock intakes need any help mixing the air/fuel, but it do think a smooth spacer would benefit us because it would give the air a smoother transition to make it from the throttle body to the kinked neck to the intake. Just like we all want a smooth flowing exhaust system, the intake should be smooth flowing as well.

Yes, the hamburger's part # is 3264.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

And yet another option:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1950A0A0.aspx
Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I read in another thread that the Jet one doesn't fit.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Here is another option: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I have the Airaid spacer and I am not liking the whistling sound very much. I will most likely take it off. I can't tell if it is making a difference. I think I got it mostly because I like tinkering with my car.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i think smooth is best for sure, if turbulence was good everyone should have kept that stock rubber elbow so as soon as somone finds a smooth one post up the link!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.tdperformance.com/products/?id=3228

PN/ 2766 is for trailblaser 5.3 but you should check with them.

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 01-31-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: uncertain PN
Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
http://www.tdperformance.com/products/?id=3228

PN/ 2766 is for trailblaser 5.3 but you should check with them.
Our cars use the 4.2L Trailblazer spacer, not the 5.3.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedshifter
I read in another thread that the Jet one doesn't fit.
Sorry about that, i thought i saw it in someone's sig....either way there are definately plenty of choices out there!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

I removed my Airaid TBS because I hated the whistling sound it made and to me that turbulence it made seemed not to be very encouraging. Since I can't return it, I decided to modify it and get some use out of it. I removed the threaded portion of the spacer so that it is now a smooth bore TBS. Before I continue I need to say a couple of things:

If you choose to do this mod, I in no way, shape, or form will take responsibility for any loss, injury, medical conditions, damage or any other negative result you may incur to yourself, your car, innocent bystanders, or anything else. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Here is what I did. I went to Lowe's and purchased a drum sanding kit. It is a 1 1/2 inch diameter drum with 3 different grit drums: 50, 80, and 120. I placed the sanding drum in a drill press. I used a piece of wood underneath the drum with a recessed hole in it. I then began sanding the inside of the TBS with the 50 grit. I wore safety glasses, a dust mask, and heavy leather gloves. The TBS will get hot. I also used a generous amount of tap water to cool the sanding drum and the TBS. It also helped the sanding drum last longer. The drilled recess in the wood held a good amount of water. After removing most of the threads, I then moved on to the 80 grit drum. When the threads were gone, I then switched to the 120 grit drum. After everything was smooth, I then polished the inside with a Dremel tool and some rubber Cratex polishing material. So now I have a smooth TBS and no whistling sound. If you have any mechanical skill and a drill press or something similar you could probably do this yourself. You just have to take you time and be careful. Pictures below:

Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bravo! my hat is tipped to you! got to love do it yourselfers.

Question now is:
How does it run compared to before (threaded) (pre TBS.)
Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

I can't tell if my car has more power yet. I haven't driven it yet. I just did this today and installed the spacer this afternoon. But there is no whistle which to me is great. One side benefit that I have with the spacer installed is that in my car it helps to position my K&N Aircharger much better. I would imagine that since my spacer is smooth now, it should help to reduce turbulence from the throttle body.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I totally agree with your thinking! Good idea!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by La06GXP
I can't tell if my car has more power yet. I haven't driven it yet. I just did this today and installed the spacer this afternoon. But there is no whistle which to me is great. One side benefit that I have with the spacer installed is that in my car it helps to position my K&N Aircharger much better. I would imagine that since my spacer is smooth now, it should help to reduce turbulence from the throttle body.
If you notice a a a difference, wanna do mine?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I would be willing to do this for people. It is somewhat time consuming so I would have to charge a small fee. I guess about $25. If you would like for me to do this with your TBS just send me an PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

But is it really worth it? I guess once I see a before and after dyno of this product with the K&N CAI then I will make my mind up.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Teching In

I dunno, i like the whistle and if the best gains are with a smooth surface then why are they all different?....Just to market their product in a unique way i guess...still i personally feel they are made a certain way for a reason and i will keep mine the way it was engineered and if that means a couple HP i'm missing out on because its not smooth than so be it. Just my opinion, but i do want to say nice work to La06GXP, looks like you did a good job and i hope it works out for you!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

If anyone is curious as to what AIRRAID has to say about their design and the purpose for it, here you go. I think I'll leave mine alone, but that looks like an awsome job La06GXP, and if I do change my mind, you'll be the first to know.

EDIT: ****!!! I forgot to include the link. sorry.

http://www.airaid.com/Spacers.aspx
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

I think the benefit we may get from the TBS is to smooth out turbulence caused by the throttle body butterly valve and/or from increased plenum volume and better harmonics. To me the swirl in the Airaid would help on a throttle body fuel injection or carburated engine. On our intakes, the swirl would seem to induce more turbulence. Why do people port their throttle bodies and intakes? Usually for smoother airflow. Just my opinion. Thanks for the compliments everyone on my modded TBS. My smoothed out TBS seems to make the sound from my K&N more throaty. Can't tell if it has helped or hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Airraid Throttle Body Spacer: The Verdict