LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe for me there is any reason to go 3"

I wonder what the exhaust would sound like with resonator delete and some magnaflows mufflers.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Ya i tried to get every bit out of the exhaust, ive always loved the sound of magnaflows though. A res delete alone makes a good difference. And some say that 3" is to big for our cars but you gotta think that dual 2.25's or dual 2.5's will flow more and are a very common size for v8's. But if u dont need that extra flow or volume then the stock pipe size is fine
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Im up around 96th street but going to be moving to Westfield soon.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Oshia86 I got the catless downpipe on my car. It doesn't stink. As long as your car is dialed in (tuned) and running efficient your exhaust won't stink or burn your eyes. You heard my exhaust. I think it sounds great. U didn't think it was annoying did you?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

^^^ How much did you get the catless downpipe for? was it the full bolt-on kit or the weld on?

And ok, I canceled my last ordered and ordered these instead, found out the others are not the right ones DOOHHH!!! LOL This is the best price I found for two Flowmaster Super 44's for our cars http://performancepeddler.com/detail...T_ID=FLO942446 129 dollars for the two shipped isn't bad at all. HELL tips are gonna cost 70 or 80 bucks Saddens me.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

How is the car going to stink? Do you realize the cat doesn't even do anything until you've driven the car steady for atleast 5 minutes and it gets up to temp? If you just kick it on the cat isn't catalyzing any reaction and all that nasty exhaust gas is coming out anyways The cat is for longer driving scenarios. My drive to work is 15 minutes. So i'm not seeing the actual benefit of a cat until I get halfway to work and it's choking my exhaust system. It won't change the smell.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Going catless in unnecessary…only if you don’t change the cam.
the car will stink…nope.
Annoyingly loud…boarder line.
Able to set off car alarms…better believe it.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Setting off car alarms is the goal
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Well seems like i've upset some people. Rick i forgot about your car being catless, and i will attest to his car sounding very good as well. I've was using my friends "turbo neon" as an example for catless volume, its way to loud for me. My GXP had a slight bad smell to it and i just had a high flow cat, without a cat i would imagine it would only be worse. I had a Grand Am a while back with quite a few mods on it running high 14's and for like two months it was catless (tuned as well) and that thing smelled awful, So i don't see how these cars would be any different. And if you live in my area (just an example) you would have emissions tests every 2 years anyway so going catless is fine if you don't mind switching things out every so often. But all in all this is just my opinion and you can always change things around again until you come up with the best solution for you.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

here's a vid/sound clip of my car... all completely stock, with flowmaster super 40's...

only thing I changed on my exhaust was the mufflers and tips... mufflers are Flowmaster Super 40's - part #952446 - 2.25" offset in, center out - and 4" double-walled slant tips... all other pipe/resonator/cats are still in place and stock...

granted, the vid/sound is only done in my driveway, since there was no one else around to catch me "on it" goin down the road, but trust me when I say that it sounds AWESOME driving down the road...

hell, when I pull into my garage, the low deep rumble vibrates the whole back half of my house... freaked the wife out when I came home with 'em on LOL she comes out into the garage and yells to me "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??!!" AAAHAHAHAHA!!!

so yeah, sounds a lot better than this cheap vid makes it out to be...

http://www.eprowebdesigns.com/06Mont.../06MonteSS.avi

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

sounds great man, can't wait to hear what dual tips on each muffler and super 44's sound like
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

I felt a difference between stock downpipe and my hogan catless downpipe, mostly up top. My car wasn't tuned so the exhaust smell was strong as hell and real stinky. I've got my stock downpipe back on and it's made the exhaust a lot more bearable through the cutout and it sounds a lot cleaner. I'm keeping the stock muffler/tips for when I need it to be real quiet like long trips. I'll try to get a dyno comparison for my car with stock DP vs Hogan DP if I can find a place that will do cheap enough dyno runs.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red03GT
I'll try to get a dyno comparison for my car with stock DP vs Hogan DP if I can find a place that will do cheap enough dyno runs.
That would be great if you get the chance because ive been debating whether to leave my DP at stock or go with the Hogan, dont know if the gains up top will justify the cost and any losses on the lower end.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Ok guys, another exhaust question, sorry to threadjack OP. I just bought two flowmaster super 44 mufflers and I want to use stainless steel exhaust piping and replace the OEM pipe from downpipe back. What's the best way to do this? do you think SLP would sell me just the Y pipe and extension or do I have to have someone fabricate the whole thing?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Stock is Stainless Steel. The only thing that is alumium is the mufflers from GM.

And no on the SLP part. I have been talking to Joey @ SLP and the kit for the Monte/Impala/Grand Prix will not fit the LS4. He will not give details but only says its not a direct fit and thats why it will not work.

I would go agaist the Flowmasters and put on some SLP shotgun mufflers, more flowing and not retricting as the the others.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

already bought em, got a ridiculous deal though. I'll look up these shotguns. If the stock is stainless steel hell, I'm not gonna do anything to it besides new catless downpipe and res delete with a piece of stainless welded in with the new mufflers and tips. Thanks man
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastLS4
Stock is Stainless Steel. The only thing that is alumium is the mufflers from GM.
Not in my Impy. Aluminized throughout. The GXP's different?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

K, I looked up those shotguns and it says they are resonators, not mufflers? I don't think I'll be cool just having two resonators, that some bitch would FREAKISHLY loud hahaha. I have no idea about the exhaust man, I'll try and dig something up about it. I'm gonna call a muffler shop. I could see that being the case as the gp gxp's are the real performance outfitted w-body, no disrespect
Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06 SS
Not in my Impy. Aluminized throughout. The GXP's different?
Unless something changed between 06 to 07, its Stainless Steel
Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

My 06 impala ss is NOT stainless. Everything under the car is clean as ****, but the exhaust pipe is rusty as hell.