LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

My first post, tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please man, I doubt he'll take me seriously, some random person, at least he knows you because you are a costumer. Really though man it would be much appreciated. That way we could get a better idea on how to tune these engines.

So I just scanned my buddies car and found some interesting stuff. He gets around 31* max timing with random KR here and there *sigh* big surprise. So I leaned out 4K and above to 12.8 ish and the KR remains the same. I'm going to pull 2 degrees and see if that helps, if not I'd like some ideas on how to safely desensitize the Knock sensor. I also raised shift points and rev limiter, this thing pulls very nice in the topend now.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are disabling DOD/AFM when tuning, aren't you? Any changes to VE will be way off if you leave DOD active. MAF doesn't seem to be affected.

Lifter noise when DOD disengages (or when the lifters re-engage) shows up as knock and you get up to 8* KR as a result. There is a separate timing table for DOD, but since you can't really filter for when DOD is active, it's a bit hit or miss trying to figure out that table (left mine stock).

Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats nice to know, I was unaware of that but no, I'm not deactivating the DOD as the KR I'm seeing is not during DOD transitions. The KR I'm seeing is while I'm well into WOT. I can post a scan if you'd like to see it. I'm seeing KR right around 4300 most of the time but not every time and its pretty random otherwise. It's very similar to what I see with my vette so it doesn't come as a complete surprise. I figure if I lean it out and it doesn't increase and then if I pull 2-3 degrees timing (I only see 1-2 now) and it still doesn't go away then its safe to say the knock sensors need to be adjusted or its not too big a deal. Besides that I haven't done anything to the DOD tables or any other part throttle tuning, just WOT a/f and trans stuff.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, if you're only dealing with WOT, then DOD won't be an issue since it won't be active during WOT runs.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'll figure it out, thanks again.

Quick Reply: My first post, tuning questions