LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone Got Ideas On Whether This Will Void My Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHAHAHA - That should be a Budweiser commercial - "At least it isn't Chinese...True...True"
so who is goin to pitch this to budweiser cuz im sure it would b f*n hilarious

Last edited by DP 08 GXP; 04-15-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My experience with dealerships makes me believe they will do anything possible to get out of fixing something under warranty so I would be careful. Some Mitsubshi Evo owners found out the hard way. Reps from dealerships went to the racetrack on a shootout day and wrote down vin numbers of the cars racing to have on file for any warranty issues. Racing is considered abuse and will void the warranty. Not sure of the outcome but this is the type of crap they pull, they do not want to fix anything for free.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Holy crap, that's crazy. I hope they don't have my vin, my car will be quite the regular at the track this year. I just might, leave a piece of paper over my vin just to be safe.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

mods are the first thing they dig around with...they do have a lil black box feature that only they can pull at the diagnostic hub...think of it as a history button...the ECU or PCMs save info....these dealers and manufactures are not stupid...explaines why when you take your car into a dealer...why your tune will dissapear due to their flash...they know all....and if you have onstar...forget it...if any emission issues or anything gets flagged then they will pull your VIN at the dealer and get that info from GM...they have a contract with onstar so that information is at the ready for the dealership.....but they will know...if warranty work is ever done....they dont just have joe the rag man come in from lunch and hook up to it and look...they have "CONSULTANTS" that are sub contracted so there is no interest conflicts....they are simply trained for specs and what to look for so there is no bias....I know one of these guys...they call them the lol....
THE SECRET SERVICE DEPARTMENT......no pun intended right....lol those are the same guys that do what they call SCANNING VINs.....they will look at your VINs...at the track, on the street, everywhere...if they are suspicious they will send these guys out...trust me...they are watching...and a lot more than you think...especially at the track..as much quality control floats around there...these dealers; like said above, dont want to pay for this stuff...and be careful...you try to cover it, they can get you for fraud if they find out later....then your getting arrested for a felony for fraud and theft of their services and parts.....or they will sew you A*% off!!! And flash fact real quick...at the track...you have no rights as soon as you enter their gates...your under their control..and you know that lil ticket you fill out when you buy your ticket....yeah...beware...we are all so excited to get through the gate so we just follow the rules and write down all our vehicle info etc...well, most tracks require you to put your VIN just in case law enforcement would have to do anything with your vehicle or if it gets stolen...well now you have entered your car into a database...wheather it is just the paper cards that we get to hear our names over the PA with and feel cool....or if its stored into a database for statistics and insurance purposed...they have eyes on that stuff...when you see your local dealerships sponsoring your home track...you just give them rights to your info....just some food for thought..but what do i know...lol
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I think a mod like a tune, roller rockers, headers etc. can void your warranty. The dealer can say the hp and torque increase abused the transmisssion. they can say that the tune screwed up the tranny electronic settings and caused undue stress. however, with this economy, a dealer may lok the other way just to get work.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Wow! Do you people wear foil hats too, so "they" can't read your mind???
Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rossko85
mods are the first thing they dig around with...they do have a lil black box feature that only they can pull at the diagnostic hub...think of it as a history button...the ECU or PCMs save info....these dealers and manufactures are not stupid...explaines why when you take your car into a dealer...why your tune will dissapear due to their flash...they know all....and if you have onstar...forget it...if any emission issues or anything gets flagged then they will pull your VIN at the dealer and get that info from GM...they have a contract with onstar so that information is at the ready for the dealership.....but they will know...if warranty work is ever done....they dont just have joe the rag man come in from lunch and hook up to it and look...they have "CONSULTANTS" that are sub contracted so there is no interest conflicts....they are simply trained for specs and what to look for so there is no bias....I know one of these guys...they call them the lol....
THE SECRET SERVICE DEPARTMENT......no pun intended right....lol those are the same guys that do what they call SCANNING VINs.....they will look at your VINs...at the track, on the street, everywhere...if they are suspicious they will send these guys out...trust me...they are watching...and a lot more than you think...especially at the track..as much quality control floats around there...these dealers; like said above, dont want to pay for this stuff...and be careful...you try to cover it, they can get you for fraud if they find out later....then your getting arrested for a felony for fraud and theft of their services and parts.....or they will sew you A*% off!!! And flash fact real quick...at the track...you have no rights as soon as you enter their gates...your under their control..and you know that lil ticket you fill out when you buy your ticket....yeah...beware...we are all so excited to get through the gate so we just follow the rules and write down all our vehicle info etc...well, most tracks require you to put your VIN just in case law enforcement would have to do anything with your vehicle or if it gets stolen...well now you have entered your car into a database...wheather it is just the paper cards that we get to hear our names over the PA with and feel cool....or if its stored into a database for statistics and insurance purposed...they have eyes on that stuff...when you see your local dealerships sponsoring your home track...you just give them rights to your info....just some food for thought..but what do i know...lol

does that apply to 06 cars? I know that the 07 and up cars got the big brother features in their ecu and pcm's.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

ah...so you know about big brother....lol I like to say, THE MAN watching you...they just make it sound like it will benny you....lol...but the feature was introduced in the late 90's derived from aircraft and race cars to help the consumer agencies purely research collision information for vehicle behavior etc...but then it become intigrated into most all models for some of these same reasons we are speaking of.....i know if you have the E67 you will prob have it...they were intigrated into those modules as a factory set from the beginning...from what i understand
Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

you cant flash it out....even with a tune..the car is too smart...the car and its circuitry saves info through a chain of custody and commands diff areas to save info..its a back up...PCM and ECU are made to flash...hints also made to save data..even though it doesnt show up on the lap of your tunner...he or she cant see it....its protected...unless you gut that car of all electronics that record diagnostics, they will find it...and if you tamper with that system, then they void it anyways...so its a vicious cylce...lol
Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and thats why im keeping away from a tune as hard as that is
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

well between all i have gotten from the clubgp crowd and the you folks it looks like ill just be puttin in the 180* tstat and colder plugs and save for the hood then after that is all done i will begin to put money in the bank for the go fast parts and a new trans....i dont wanna F myself square in the A and void my warranty...i guess i will just have to learn to be patient

EDIT:ill prolly do the the porting of the TB and intake manifold with the hood since the dealer wont be able to see that ad void the warranty.

Last edited by DP 08 GXP; 04-15-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

you cant flash it out....even with a tune..the car is too smart...the car and its circuitry saves info through a chain of custody and commands diff areas to save info..its a back up...PCM and ECU are made to flash...hints also made to save data..even though it doesnt show up on the lap of your tunner...he or she cant see it....its protected...unless you gut that car of all electronics that record diagnostics, they will find it...and if you tamper with that system, then they void it anyways...so its a vicious cylce...lol
so that tune that vector offers that is "stealth" would still be detectable by the dealer?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

I heard you could BURN/copy the pcm to a second...swap it back and forth...but then once again..the system is going to relay termination flashes "disconnect" notice...read out with time and engine hours etc...so you take it out...that voids your warranty....and this is from outside sources.....so im just a msgr...i dont wear the foil hats...as i said, what do i know...im just relaying some info...it makes way too much sense...but dont take it from me...just stay in good with your local dealer..there are still all sorts of secrets out there...but you dont know what you think you do...they make you think that though....lol
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

its all about commands recieved by the PCM or ECU...its a YES..its funny..a MATRIX..lol...really...it will hide itself just fine within the factory code...but you still cannot deny or hide the door it come in or was let out of....but as i said, there are ways to hide how it comes in and how it is removed...and really, the companys that are doing those flashes are licensed...and you have to pay for yours so they keep your VIN and all that info is in a database...just read all your fine print...but some of the companys that offer that stuff....im not knocking them at all...GREAT COMPANYS...im sure they have done there home work, but they dont tell you that when you fill out that disclaimer for the license, that you are freeing them up from liablity of copyright or what you know as FLASHING or TUNNING= INNFRINGEMENT rights...just more food for thought guys...ive heard some really out there stories and accounts on this....just a msgr though....not confirmed...but once again, this makes way too much since....so...you know what im saying...its hard to bs particulars like this...but dont just take my word for it...in the big sceam of things...people have been doing it for YEARS AND YEARS guys...there is always risk and always someone there to take them and someone there...like THE BIG BROTHER...watching...but there are much bigger fish to fry...like people taking a factory PCM or ECU flashing it and selling it with there name on it....when they pull it..like steal it...flash it and sell it on ebay...or wherever...those are the guys they are really diggn for...and i mean the folks at the EPA and other highly professional federal agencies etc...you get my drift...
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ since you seem to have lil inside info ill ask ya one mor question before i put the mod bug away for a few years....if i were to go and get my TB and intake manifold ported would they be able to tell that i had that done?

my fiance was tired about hearin me talk about the warranty so she is going to call a random GM certified dealer and ask them about the list i have and say she is going to be getting me these things for a birthday present to see if i can get a straight answer without letting them know who i am....ill have to let ya know what they say tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
^^^ since you seem to have lil inside info ill ask ya one mor question before i put the mod bug away for a few years....if i were to go and get my TB and intake manifold ported would they be able to tell that i had that done?

my fiance was tired about hearin me talk about the warranty so she is going to call a random GM certified dealer and ask them about the list i have and say she is going to be getting me these things for a birthday present to see if i can get a straight answer without letting them know who i am....ill have to let ya know what they say tomorrow.
i was just about to suggest that. however, i am faily sure, as i worked at a chevy dealer and even asked my service manager once, that IE: if a car gets exhaust work done, and the engine blows, does that void the warranty. His answer was that doing exhaust work, ONLY voids the exhaust warranty. But just call and find out
Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it totally depends on the dealer, and how many issues GM has had. Some dealers are OK with some basic performance. I.E intakes exhaust, tunes. and will still warenty stuff. Others if u swap the air filter to an aftermarket company will want to void it.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Launching!

I'm not going to worry. So what if they know I tuned my car - my answer, sure I removed the DoD feature. Everytime I have brought my car in before doing the downpipe etc, it always had my DoD removed tune, and always came back with the DoD removed tune. Granted I've never needed major items repalced but I have had 3 hubs, condensor, a pulley of some sort, and an abs something or other. Never had an issue. If they don't like my tune, good luck proviong "it" cause a part to malfunction.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

its all about commands recieved by the PCM or ECU...its a YES..its funny..a MATRIX..lol...really...it will hide itself just fine within the factory code...but you still cannot deny or hide the door it come in or was let out of....but as i said, there are ways to hide how it comes in and how it is removed...and really, the companys that are doing those flashes are licensed...and you have to pay for yours so they keep your VIN and all that info is in a database...just read all your fine print...but some of the companys that offer that stuff....im not knocking them at all...GREAT COMPANYS...im sure they have done there home work, but they dont tell you that when you fill out that disclaimer for the license, that you are freeing them up from liablity of copyright or what you know as FLASHING or TUNNING= INNFRINGEMENT rights...just more food for thought guys...ive heard some really out there stories and accounts on this....just a msgr though....not confirmed...but once again, this makes way too much since....so...you know what im saying...its hard to bs particulars like this...but dont just take my word for it...in the big sceam of things...people have been doing it for YEARS AND YEARS guys...there is always risk and always someone there to take them and someone there...like THE BIG BROTHER...watching...but there are much bigger fish to fry...like people taking a factory PCM or ECU flashing it and selling it with there name on it....when they pull it..like steal it...flash it and sell it on ebay...or wherever...those are the guys they are really diggn for...and i mean the folks at the EPA and other highly professional federal agencies etc...you get my drift...
You have good insights, but dude, for the sake of the damn internet, paragraphs and sentence structure. Your posts are like grammatical diarrhea linked together with multiple ellipses.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

sorry guys...its just all off the fly and have to get it out quick....as im in my squad for
most of this...ill keep it spaced....sorry..!! lol And to answer some questions on what
would they do...as far as the dealer....its exactly as Panther said...

it really depends on the dealer...they mostly look for the main drive components to be tampered with mainly from what I understand...but calling is a great idea...but it is still case by case...
They will tell her exactly what they are supposed to over the phone...if you dont give them a reason to look there they shouldnt...just common sense man...