Originally Posted by Panther427
no reason to do the cat in stock app.
It is not stock, it is not even in the W body anymore
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS4 swap
It is not stock, it is not even in the W body anymore
LOL after i posted that i saw what you was talking about on youtube. Left a comment on there. Looks great. I would try to make the crossover pipe bypass the rear manifold.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, but I have to use the stock exhaust system to get it to pass smog. I would use a set of JBL's for a GTO and make a custom Xover if I did not need to pass smog
Old 05-28-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

U cant modifiy it at all. It would still be going through the cat.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

I would have to agree with Panther. You would still be going through the CAT. If you were bypassing it then maybe it would be a problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Panther427
U cant modifiy it at all. It would still be going through the cat.
Well...CA is ....stupid. I have to use the "stock exhaust" system from heads to the cat. The cat is an original cat but as you can see it is not sticking out thru the rear bumper, so it is a little modified. By the letter of the law even this is not legal. So I dont want to push it to far with the Ref.
I would even put on stock LS2 or 3 manifolds with a custom Xover after the smog cert.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well...CA is ....stupid. I have to use the "stock exhaust" system from heads to the cat. The cat is an original cat but as you can see it is not sticking out thru the rear bumper, so it is a little modified. By the letter of the law even this is not legal. So I dont want to push it to far with the Ref.
I would even put on stock LS2 or 3 manifolds with a custom Xover after the smog cert.
Don't you only have to conform to the standards of the model year of the vehicle? Meaning that the newer engine being swapped with all the newer factory emissions control crap will easily pass for the model year of the vehicle you swapped it into.

If I recall correctly, that's what my brother had to do to his Jeep when he swapped in a Ford V8. He made sure the engine and emission control was from a newer car than his ugly ol Jeep. If that even makes since?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS4SPEED
Don't you only have to conform to the standards of the model year of the vehicle? Meaning that the newer engine being swapped with all the newer factory emissions control crap will easily pass for the model year of the vehicle you swapped it into.

If I recall correctly, that's what my brother had to do to his Jeep when he swapped in a Ford V8. He made sure the engine and emission control was from a newer car than his ugly ol Jeep. If that even makes since?
It is the oposit. The car has to have the same year or newer engine and must be smoged to the year make and modle of the engine. That make crate engines undoable also. Crate engines do not have the smog equipment on them and no smog speks.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

It is the oposit. The car has to have the same year or newer engine and must be smoged to the year make and modle of the engine. That make crate engines undoable also. Crate engines do not have the smog equipment on them and no smog speks.
Move to a different State. Where do you Live? I don't want to move there at all. Alright, I'll be nice.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beamie
Move to a different State. Where do you Live? I don't want to move there at all. Alright, I'll be nice.
I will try not to change the topic of the thread to engine swaps so this will be my last reply about it...

My opinion is that the Husane administration will make a Nation wide emissions standard. This standard will be based on California's insane ( and impossable) inviromenalists wishbook. The standards they wanted are so unreachable that they had to amend them because NONE of the car manufacturors could meet them.
He is already destoying the car companies as we speek with a lofty mpg standards.

Wont matter were you live anymore, people wanted "Change" so here it comes.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will try not to change the topic of the thread to engine swaps so this will be my last reply about it...

My opinion is that the Husane administration will make a Nation wide emissions standard. This standard will be based on California's insane ( and impossable) inviromenalists wishbook. The standards they wanted are so unreachable that they had to amend them because NONE of the car manufacturors could meet them.
He is already destoying the car companies as we speek with a lofty mpg standards.

Wont matter were you live anymore, people wanted "Change" so here it comes.
agreed, they can only do so much with the CAFE requirements, but sliding in the backdoor of improved emissions will force even higher numbers.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

Did you guys remove the crossover pipe when you wrapped or did you wrap it with it still installed?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you guys remove the crossover pipe when you wrapped or did you wrap it with it still installed?
i left it on. it was pretty easy besides a few tight areas and especially the back part of the pipe.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Cool

I guess I'll do mine soon. I've been comtemplating it, but just been putting it off. Who and what's the best wrap to buy? Any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Question

I noticed that the cover for the x-over pipe is in 2 peices. THe front piece by teh exhaust manifold is held on by 4 bolts. THe cover that croses under the TB is held on by two rivet looking things. What are they and how does this peice come off?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Launching!

(Necropost. I figured I'd bring this thread back instead of starting a new one.)

Does anybody have an answer for the question above about removing/replacing that heat shield?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Teching In

THe 2nd set of heat shields are held in place with metal pegs on the pipe that fit thru the small holes on the shield and then held in place with the metal discs. If you pry the discs off, you can ge tthe shields off. The issue is getting the discs back on. Unless you took the xover pipe off you can forget it.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Wrapped mine with the shields on. Going to wrap the new DP before it goes in.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Interesting. So, theoretically the wrap should work well enough that you shouldn't really need the shields afterwords cause it'll still be cooler under the hood than before, correct?

AlabamaGuy, so are you saying you weaved the wrap under the shields with them on, or you just wrapped around the pipe and the shield? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: DEI exhaust wrap