LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SSC Lowering Springs going on Sunday, but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSC Lowering Springs going on Sunday, but...

I'm all set to install the SSC's on Sunday...got the struts, springs, camber bolts, and poly front endlinks...but someone at NAIOA (may be a member here, too) threw a wrench in the mix, saying that the aftermarket struts will not fit with the OE (or even my wider) wheels/tires. He pointed out that TireRack says that the KYB GR-2's and even the AGX adjustables don't fit the "special handling package" that is the FE3/FE4 on the Imp/Monte SS. He's done his homework and the spring perch is shorter on the aftermarket springs...the distance between the upper strut bolt hole is less than the OE distance.

I'm hoping that the +40 offset of these wheels make it an non-issue, but in case it does hit, the SSC's will likely go on the OE struts, and I'll have to replace those down the line.

Long story short...anyone here that lowered their SS (Imp or Monte) with new struts have any issue with rubbing? I haven't heard any of you guys complaining, but I can't remember if anyone replaced their struts, too, or are running 20's and/or wider tires than the OE specs.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you need to replace the struts, add the camber bolts, and poly front endlinks? I thought the springs would work with the stock struts and they would not throw the camber out.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

It's Sunday! Were are the pics??? lol
Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

LOL...I'll get'em up! Gimme a sec ;-)

I figured the GR-2's were an improvement over my stock struts, and after the fact, I feel that they were in need of replacement. I did install the poly endlinks on the front, and new greasable links on the rear (one wouldn't come off, so my hand was forced). Everything else went as planned, sort of...

Pics here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...l#post11686534