LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird engine noise on 06 GXP

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird engine noise on 06 GXP

Hey guys,
Is it normal for the engine to make a whurring sound under load with the AC on? I noticed last weekend that the car makes this sound in stop and go driving, sound goes away when the AC is turned off. Is there a fix, or anyone else get this sound? Figure I ask here before taking her in to get checked.
Car only has 7200 miles on it.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

pretty sure that the noise is just yor fans. My 05 GTP does the same thing
Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Some loud fans, I used to have an 04 GTP and never heard it before. Same for my dads GTO.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

It's not the fans. I have the same issue on my 06 SS, when the compressor is engaged. Doesn't always happen though. Since I can't get it to happen when at the dealer, I can't get it fixed. It's been going on for at least 8 months now, seems fine otherwise. Just annoying. Soon as you press the A/C button it goes away.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Magna thats exactly what I am getting on my car, but it usually happens every 15-20 minutes of traffic driving...happens pretty consistently, specially on hot days. I wonder if anyone else was able to get this fixed. I haven't taken it in but I'm not really sure if its anything to really worry about.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:23 PM

I to have the same problem on my 06 monte ss with 9500 miles. Its really loud when hot outside, took it to the dealer last summer they said it was my serpentine belt. It took them 2 hours to change the belt with a special tool, still same problem........ And bye the way Iam new so Hi Everyone!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Same problem on my 06 GXP. I need to take it in soon to get it checked out.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Seems to me that this many with the "same problem" means it's going to be "normal." I want to say i have this too, but will try to make it happen later to verify.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Well, I haven't taken it in yet to the dealer for check up, but after about 15 minutes of driving, whether easy or hard in traffic the AC acted up again. Starts off as a soft whurring sound, like lots of friction or something. After coming to a complete stop at another light, it gets louder as I give the car gas to move. Reminds me of driving my moms 93 Bravada years ago without letting it warm up.

Only reason I haven't taken it in is because I remember reading it somewhere, believe BuffaloSS mentioned it on the Impala site under another post. I wanted to see how consistent it actually is and if anyone else had it. I may take it in after this weekend on Monday and have someone sit in with me after the car has warmed up to see what they say. Anyone else try and get it fixed?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Is it the GMC 3500 van sound you're talking about? I don't know if any of you have ever ridden in a newer GMC or Chevy van, but that's what my car sounds like with the AC on.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Only the shuttles the dealer uses to transport folks around to work, but yeah my car sounds like that also. Only prob is it gets pretty loud when opening her up till around 45, pretty bad when the wife asks whats that sound will take it in and see what the dealer tells me on Monday.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Default Engine Noise

My 06 impala had been making that noise for about 6-8 months. The a/c compressor seems to be the culprit. On Sunday started blowing intermittently hot and cold air while driving. Took it in this morning. They said the compressor was bad and had replaced more than a few. Started with that noise though. I should have taken it in sooner.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 AM
TECH Regular

MIne did it yesterday too. It was around 90 and I was in stop and go traffic and got worse when I have it some gas. I shut the a/c of and turned it back on and it went away. I had some loud pining when I first started the car up too. I had my diablo hooked up to see what the intake air temps where and they were about 140.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Teching In

I had this problem last year - an intermitant whining noise from the A/C. I brought it in and they replaced the compressor and clutch I think. Naturally, there was no change at all.

But I found that by turning the compressor OFF and setting the A/C to Recirculate (which apparently runs the compressor), the whining goes away, even in stop and go traffic. I can't figure it out.

I do still hear an incessant whining coming from the passenger seat, but I think it's wife asking me to slow down. I'll take it in for that next week.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every W-body I have owned has made that whirring noise when the A/C is on and it's hot (+75 outside) in stop and go traffic.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

mine doesn't make that noise you describe... and I had the AC on the past 2 days...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Mine is in the shop for the same AC compressor noise.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep your not the only one mine was doing it from the first day i got it. But my car was wrecked 2 weeks after i got it and when i got it back i had other things i needed to get fixed first. I took my car to my local dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it blah blah you know the dealer routine after that i knew it was pointless to bother getting rid of the noise until something actually broke. I learned this because my old 2002 monte carlo SS was in 8 times for transmission repairs and it seems like everytime i brought it in they wouldn't believe the symptoms i was telling them and they would only happen at certain times "mostly when i couldn't get to the dealer fast enough"
Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now my exhaust is so loud i can't tell when the AC is whining like that anymore so i've completly forgot it now
Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Teching In

I was originally supposed to take the car in earlier this week, but I had some things pop up that needed my attention so I never did take it in. I wonder if 06mcss got it fixed or if the dealer told him its nothing. Sadly, I've only had the car for about 3 weeks to almost a month so I have gotten used to it. I still want to take it in though, just going to keep an eye on it before warranty goes.

Quick Reply: Weird engine noise on 06 GXP