LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Heat soak Reduction Kit sensor location?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heat soak Reduction Kit sensor location?

Get picked up a heat soak kit and was wondering were everyone else put their HSRK sensor? it says to locate it away from heat and in direct air flow, just looking for ideas if anyone has done some trail and error. Also what size of drill bit did you use to fit the grommet and sensor? i don't have a stepper drill bit so i was hoping someone would know the final diameter of the hole?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think some people put it in the top metal part of the k&n filter. Are you using the stock air box or what?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Remember that it does not have to be super secured. Just get the sensor away from the heat. If you have a stock air box, wedge the sensor near the driver side headlight area or something, sorry don't know what the Pontiac inner fender bracing looks like. On my Impala I could wedge the sensor in front of the intake box opening. If you have a k&n or something and don't want to drill a hole, take the filter off, put the sensor in the filter then install the filter loosely. Pull the wiring snug so the sensor isn't flopping around then tighten the filter clamp. Thats what I did anyway. On my Trailblazer, the sensor is wedged in the grill.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

I've got the old CAI intate, i think i will try your idea "silver LS4" by putting it under the filter.. I don't care if i have to drill someholes in this car, it wouldn't be the first time lol but the less work the better.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i remember correctly there was a thread about the HSRK and i think one guy drilled a hole in the filters tubing and mounted it there. i searched heat soak and i think it pulled it. here it a nice list.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7899263
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is probably my next mod but that's going to wait for a month or so. The only things left I can do besides turbo it is rockers, and porting the intake and exhaust manifolds. My goal is for an extremely low 13 to high 12's car.

-Mike
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had someone tell me the HSRK makes the car run richer. Is this true?

-Mike
Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
I had someone tell me the HSRK makes the car run richer. Is this true?

-Mike
I'll let you know after i get my wideband guage hooked up what it does to the A/F mixture.

I think we have the same goal, i'm looking for a low 13 to high 12 second N/A car, i've done 13.0something with a 50 shot, weight reduction, intake, spring blockers and better tires. But the 50 shot is off and doing the porting stuff soon. The little weight reduction, spring blockers and tires made a world of difference off the line, took .5 off my 1/4 mile time once it was dailed in.

With the rockers and porting high 12's will be easy for us. Its all about getting off the line with these cars.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was also hoping I knocked a few .10th's with the trans upgrade, higher stall, and the 3.29's. I have never went to the track with this car yet. I was waiting till I was pretty much done with modding it. Who know's though?

-Mike
Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you go aggressive on the porting cause i still have more i can port out. And i am at like 13-13.2
Old 06-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StealthV8
I'll let you know after i get my wideband guage hooked up what it does to the A/F mixture.

I think we have the same goal, i'm looking for a low 13 to high 12 second N/A car, i've done 13.0something with a 50 shot, weight reduction, intake, spring blockers and better tires. But the 50 shot is off and doing the porting stuff soon. The little weight reduction, spring blockers and tires made a world of difference off the line, took .5 off my 1/4 mile time once it was dailed in.

With the rockers and porting high 12's will be easy for us. Its all about getting off the line with these cars.
What did you do for weight reduction?

Also what does the heat soak kit here do? Ill go searching but maybe you all will chime in before I get the info.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KissMyDSM92
What did you do for weight reduction?

Also what does the heat soak kit here do? Ill go searching but maybe you all will chime in before I get the info.
The weight reduction is a on going process but right now i have the totally gutted no carpet, plastics, mesh, etc. The rear seat is out, no floor mats, no cat and i will soon have new light weight front seats.

heres a link to the heat soak kit http://www.vectormotorsports.com/ind...mart&Itemid=28

I ended up just stuffing the sensor inside the filter, its really tight and doesn't move at all. took about 20 mins to do this mod.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Do you know if its the same IAT sensor the 3800 has?

If so I already did this mod myself. I simply extended the wire and put a new IAT sensor, made by Reptile on grandprixforums.net, and it cost under $20.

$10+ shipping for the IAT sensor, made by Reptile, and less than $5 to make the IAT extension.

If the IAT sensor is exactly the same, and the wiring is close to the same, I think you all could save a nice chunk of coin.

These electrical components companies make cost so much more than I feel they are worth. I don't have a LS4 so maybe I'm wrong about this mod.

I just hated seeing people pay $75.00 for a fuel pump re-wire from caspers when they can make their own for $5.

Quick Reply: Heat soak Reduction Kit sensor location?