LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

the root of our Mod problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wanna send that valley cover ya modded to me? just been to busy to get everything on mine done + now it's hot as hell down here in texas so I don't feel like going outside much :<
Old 06-27-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Well you know, I like screwing around with things too - there isn't much support out there for the older 60*V6's either, so I guess I've picked another vehicle that isn't terribly well supported in the world of engine mods. I get to build a sheet metal intake manifold (to use a LT1 throttle body) and the turbo exhaust system from scratch. At least that car will have turbo headers. . The difference is that the Fiero will never be a daily driver, so it can stay disassembled to do longer-term, and more involved modifications. It doesn't have to be available for going to work every day.

I'll just keep the GXP as is and enjoy it for what it is.

Mustang? Yeah I'm seriously considering one as the next project vehicle. But since we just purchased a new house that's considerably more expensive than the one we own now, I can kiss my disposable income goodbye for a few years....won't be starting any new projects for a while.

You might know this, but are you aware that Pontiac made a turbo 3.1 in 89-90 in the grand prix's? Might be a good source to get any turbo parts you may want/need.

Mustangs rock! If I could get back every penny that I have in my Mustang's motor, I'd sell it and buy a LSx motor for my Mustang.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Since I have only a year to go before the Monte is paid off, I am really thinking about the same as TiredGXP but it would be the Camaro SS. Everytime I see that car I want it more and more.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedshifter
You might know this, but are you aware that Pontiac made a turbo 3.1 in 89-90 in the grand prix's? Might be a good source to get any turbo parts you may want/need.

Mustangs rock! If I could get back every penny that I have in my Mustang's motor, I'd sell it and buy a LSx motor for my Mustang.
At the risk of further hijacking the thread...

Yeah, I'm aware of the TGP from 1989-1990, apparently GM used a stronger, high nickle content block for those. There weren't very many of them made, so they're pretty hard to come by.

I've used a short block from a 1990 Lumina, bored it .75mm over (so it's now a 3.2) and added pistons for the gen 1 iron head motor, which should give me 8.57:1 static compression.

The Fiero's original iron cylinder heads will be reused and have been gasket matched, runners cleaned up and some bowl work done to clean up the "short side" and open up the valve pockets. Lower intake manifold has also been ported.

Most of the big ticket items have already been purchased:
T3/T4 water cooled, ball bearing center section turbo

Water to air intercooler from a Syclone/Typhoon

Ported LT1 throttle body (dual 48mm throttle plates, about equivalent to a single 67mm throttle body) It might be too big for this engine.

I have both a 7727 and 7749 ECM, depending on whether I want to run $8F or $59 code - I'd prefer the latter due to it's higher resolution VE table and ability to control the intercooler pump. Either one allows you to program the wastegate control solenoid to adjust boost electronically.

I picked up a combo DC TIG/Plasma cutter unit over the winter, so I eventually get to try my hand at building custom stainless turbo headers or powerlogs and a sheet metal intake.

Some crappy pics of head work:
Stock intake ports

After porting

Stock bowls

after porting but before polishing the combustion chamber

Polished exhaust runner

Based on the cam specs, flow data for stock 2.8 heads, compression ratio, assumed intercooler efficiency of 80%, 508 CFM flow capacity of the new throttle body, and 10 pounds of boost, Desktop Dyno calculates 269hp at both 5500 and 6000 rpm.

For a sanity check, I plugged in the stock throttle body flow and no boost, but left the new cam specs alone (a bit more lift and duration than the stock 2.8/3.4 cam but still low overlap for a turbo application). Desktop Dyno spit out HP and Torque numbers just a bit below the stock 3.4 rating.

I live at about 2200 ft altitude, so normal atmospheric pressure is about 13.5 PSI here. When I plugged the VE numbers that Desktop Dyno produces into the Garrett turbo calculator formulas using 10 PSI boost and 13.5 PSI atmospheric pressure, I came up with the same 269 HP at 6000RPM, so I'm hoping actual power will be within ~15 hp of these estimates. The 28# fuel injectors I have won't support much more than 270 HP since they'll be running at about 81% duty cycle for that power level.

Depending on how much weight I can pull off the Fiero (2650 lbs stock) This should be good for somewhere in the neighbourhood of a 12.8 to 13.1 ET in the 1/4. More of a sleeper than a W-body

Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

just wondering how much you have wrapped up in this project?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Waaaaaay too much, really. But still, just a fraction of the cost of a GXP.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Intense made a prototype of headers for a LS4 and they added 35 hp. They used the design for the V-6 W-Bodies and added another port to them to fit a V-8. Too bad that they will not put them into production and they only used them for the cars they own themselves. That's what I was told anyway.
That sounds about right for them