Old 06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are so right my Silverado engine is no where the same as the Monte's
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
The LS4 is not the 5.3 from the trucks. The only things that have LS4's are 05-08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP's, 06-07 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS's, 06-09 Impala SS's, and i think 08-09 Buick Lacrosse Supers.

That engine is a 5.3 liter Iron Block...the LS4 is a 5.3 Aluminum Block derived from the LS1/LS6/LS2.

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE THE SAME ENGINE...... Do your homework....
The ECM on a 2005 GP GXP is an E40. The '06+ GP GXP, Monte SS, Impala SS were given a new E67 ECM. The '06 Envoy Denali has an E40 with the same service number as mine. I got the correct part, the ECM (from doing my homework) But assumed wrongly that it was an LS4.

I hooked it all up and tried to start the car and it said in the info center that it is "disabled due to anti-theft" or something like that and scanned the OBD2 port with my scanner and got P0315: Crankshaft position system variation values are not stored in the PCM memory. So guess I gotta continue the waiting game, pay $60 to tow to the stealership and another $105 to flash the PCM to my car

If only someone local had HP tuners and could program AND tune the car all at the same time for less then everything I gotta do just to make it stock by the dealer.

KNOCKING ON WOOD THAT I CAN GET THE DAMN CAR RUNNING BY MONDAY NOW.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
That engine is a 5.3 liter Iron Block...the LS4 is a 5.3 Aluminum Block derived from the LS1/LS6/LS2.

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE THE SAME ENGINE...... Do your homework....
The '06 Envoy Denali that the ECM came from also has an aluminum GEN IV LH6 5.3L block. The LY5 has an iron block.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might be able to get a vats bypass thingy like aftermarket remote start systems tend to use.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by neilownz
Might be able to get a vats bypass thingy like aftermarket remote start systems tend to use.
I think the main problem is the relearning of the crankshaft that has to be done, GM is going to charge me $105 or more (what a rip off) Oh well, I'll NEVER do mods with the battery connected
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it will auto learn it if you wait long enough. Would have been cheaper to get one that had the proper programming already I suppose.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by neilownz
I think it will auto learn it if you wait long enough. Would have been cheaper to get one that had the proper programming already I suppose.
The one from the dealer was $600 +. The one on Ebay would have been about $250 U.S. programmed plus shipping (If they ended doing it properly). I got the used ECM for $100 CAD, the dealer might end up costing $105 CAD for the programming, so overall almost the same when taking into account the towing costs as the Ebay one would have been (the Ebay one was also a used ECM that he'd program).
Old 06-20-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highonpsi
The one from the dealer was $600 +. The one on Ebay would have been about $250 U.S. programmed plus shipping (If they ended doing it properly). I got the used ECM for $100 CAD, the dealer might end up costing $105 CAD for the programming, so overall almost the same when taking into account the towing costs as the Ebay one would have been (the Ebay one was also a used ECM that he'd program).
Seems like the Ebay one might have save you a tow to the dealer. That is if it was programmed correctly. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highonpsi

If only someone local had HP tuners and could program AND tune the car all at the same time for less then everything I gotta do just to make it stock by the dealer.

KNOCKING ON WOOD THAT I CAN GET THE DAMN CAR RUNNING BY MONDAY NOW.
HP tuners is quite picky about what it will write to an ECM. You may have to have the dealership reflash the ECM with the stock tune and VIN before HPT can be used to disable VATS.

I came across this issue when first using HPT. Seems my ECM came out of the factory with a different calibration from what GM showed in their service website, and HPT wouldn't allow me to write an updated tune because the VIN and calibration were not consistent with the published data. Had to pay to have the dealership reflash it before I could do any tuning.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
HP tuners is quite picky about what it will write to an ECM. You may have to have the dealership reflash the ECM with the stock tune and VIN before HPT can be used to disable VATS.

I came across this issue when first using HPT. Seems my ECM came out of the factory with a different calibration from what GM showed in their service website, and HPT wouldn't allow me to write an updated tune because the VIN and calibration were not consistent with the published data. Had to pay to have the dealership reflash it before I could do any tuning.

what did they charge you at the dealer for the flash? They seem to be quoting a lot and they are all so unsure if they can even do it..
Old 06-20-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a couple of years ago, but I think I ended up paying $60. They really didn't want to reflash the ECM. Had to argue with the service manager for about half an hour and point out that the ECM didn't actually have the operating system that the factory said was supposed to be loaded.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
It was a couple of years ago, but I think I ended up paying $60. They really didn't want to reflash the ECM. Had to argue with the service manager for about half an hour and point out that the ECM didn't actually have the operating system that the factory said was supposed to be loaded.
I have a bad feeling they'll try to give me the run around tommorow.

Quick Reply: Urgent help needed