LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

14.6...really????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gixper
My 60 times were 2.3446 and 2.3925. I am in killeen tx...bout 60 miles north of Austin. It is ridiculously hot here....todays high is 105. Been about the same all week. I think next time I go I'll turn the car off for at least a good hour to let it cool. Didn't think to take the engine cover off...makes sense. Either way it was a blast...really thought I'd be closer to 13s though. What are M/T tires?

I'm in Killeen also, I have an 08 Impala SS. I ran 14.3 @ 98 my last time out at 95 degrees, and I have more mods, so you're okay since it was 100 last weekend.

I'm about to PM ya
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tappeter
Bring some ice in a bag to put on the intake manifold and TB to cool it

Wow, that's absolutely the worst advice ever. All that's going to do is get you kicked out of the track, after you cause a nice wreck on the track.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Wow, that's absolutely the worst advice ever. All that's going to do is get you kicked out of the track, after you cause a nice wreck on the track.
This is actually pretty common....
Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really, at some redneck tracks?

Do they let you use your a/c also? Common sense, ice turns into water, drips down your engine onto the ground. It ends up on the track, some big slick car loses traction and hits a wall.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People do this at my track. but you do gotta be careful about dropping water on the track for sure.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

what did some of you guys run in the 1/8th mile. A guy I work with has a 2007 grand prix gt(supercharged 3.8) and I want to see how he compared. All we have close around here is an 1/8th mile track. Sorry to be a little off topic.

To the OP like everybody else is saying maybe try working on the launch. A better reaction time is not gonna make your time faster. Once your staged try pressing the brake down HARD so you dont creep. Then give is gas to get your rpms up and then once the lights drop...get off the brake and roll in too the gas so you dont spin. Im not sure how everybody else does it but that would seem to make the most sense to me...but I drive a stick so im in a different world. Maybe somebody else will chime in with a better technique.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
what did some of you guys run in the 1/8th mile. A guy I work with has a 2007 grand prix gt(supercharged 3.8) and I want to see how he compared. All we have close around here is an 1/8th mile track. Sorry to be a little off topic.

To the OP like everybody else is saying maybe try working on the launch. A better reaction time is not gonna make your time faster. Once your staged try pressing the brake down HARD so you dont creep. Then give is gas to get your rpms up and then once the lights drop...get off the brake and roll in too the gas so you dont spin. Im not sure how everybody else does it but that would seem to make the most sense to me...but I drive a stick so im in a different world. Maybe somebody else will chime in with a better technique.
A better reaction time DOES make your time faster.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
A better reaction time DOES make your time faster.
It shouldn't have any effect if you're running on a test and tune night, which it sounds like he is...

Originally Posted by okie123
Quarter tank of gas-premium only. It would not hurt to put some Lucas octane boost to knock some knock out this time of year.
In my (and many others') experience, octane boost isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. If you look at the claims, it's less than 1 octane point increase. If the car is knocking and pulling timing, you'd be a lot better off to mix some 100 octance in there if you can find it.

And yes, I know I'm a Camaro guy, just trying to help.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
It shouldn't have any effect if you're running on a test and tune night, which it sounds like he is...

In my (and many others') experience, octane boost isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. If you look at the claims, it's less than 1 octane point increase. If the car is knocking and pulling timing, you'd be a lot better off to mix some 100 octance in there if you can find it.

Around here, T&T runs on the tree and reaction times definately count. Just a misunderstanding, thought he was saying it wouldn't effect your E.T.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

My best 1/8 is 9.71 @ 71.48 but thats at Bandimere Speedway DA was about 8000Ft that night.

Alot of guys on T & T night wont try to get a great light if all they are worried about is launching. They may run a faster time, but if the other racers crosses the line it shows who crosses first not who is fastest.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimbo98z

I used to think as you do but actually the Lucas octane boost is good for 30 points or a full 3 octane. Its good stuff but does contain mmt.
http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/luca...ne_booster.htm
Here in Oklahoma our highest pump gas is 91 octane. Adding it is the difference in some knock and no knock. It will turn your plugs and cats a little orange. On the flip side the stoich of 100 octane is not going to match pump gas very well either. So each have their trade offs.

Last edited by okie123; 07-07-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by okie123
I used to think as you do but actually the Lucas octane boost is good for 30 points or a full 3 octane. Its good stuff but does contain mmt.
http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/luca...ne_booster.htm
Here in Oklahoma our highest pump gas is 91 octane. Adding it is the difference in some knock and no knock. It will turn your plugs and cats a little orange. On the flip side the stoich of 100 octane is not going to match pump gas very well either. So each have their trade offs.

what is mmt?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad stuff for cats. Really long word thats all i remember.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Panther427
Bad stuff for cats. Really long word thats all i remember.
good enough for me lol.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

It does not matter if it's test 'n tune or what, you can sit on the line for 5 seconds after the green and it will not change your ET. You may lose a bracket race because your reaction time is bad, but it will not change the ET. ET is the time it takes from when you leave the beam at the start and break the beam at the end. Reaction time is separate from ET.

Many people use ice to cool intakes, and spray water on the radiator. If the race starter sees you dropping a lot of water you'll get warned about it. They watch the start line for any types of spills.

The cars beating you are also in 105 degree heat. You need to wait a good long time between rounds and open the hood. You might put an override switch on the electric fans so you can run them between rounds to cool it off faster - and keep that IAT from soaking up so much heat.