LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

The "Inferno" hood.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Inferno" hood.....

For those of you with the Inferno hood or who are looking into getting the hood . The scoop is not functional and the hood hardly lets out any heat. Only the rear vents, vent. The carbon fiber hood is only mostly carbon fiber and weighs a little bit less the the stock hood which is pretty light. You will need a different hood strut unless you don't mind the hood sticking up a little bit on side. All, in all, I do like my hood, I have had it for about 2yrs now and it really looks cool.
I got pissed off cause the vents weren't doing jack and right now in the summer my IAT's have been going through the roof! After looking at the hood a decided to hack it up, so I did some massive trimming to the underside. I cut out the scoops and everything under the vents so now this sucker does cool and lets in cool air while driving. My IAT's at idle on a hot day have dropped about 10-15 degrees. Heat soak is still a problem but I can see the hot air escaping so I knows It's doing it's job. My IAT's while driving are only 7-12 degrees hotter then the outside air while driving and after heat soak the engine cools off a lot quicker do to the cold air cooling the engine compartment while driving. I will try to up load some pics later on this weekend. Rain shouldn't be a problem with the engine cover on, and if anyone took it off I would recommend putting it back on, it helps to keep the fuel lines cool. If you don't believe me, then drive around with the cover off and touch the fuel lines once you park then do the same test with the cover on.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i wish they made a more stock looking hood in carbon or even fiberglass i cant have a shock on my stock hood either because of the hole i cut in it but vents are really huge i think im going to cut bigger vents in the shaker when im feeling like an adventure. origionally i was going to try and make a mold with my oem hood and making one out of fiberglass instad of buying an extra like i did.... my composite skills just arent that good yet and it would have probably not been much lighter than the stock one maybe one day ill have it acid dipped that would be cool.

nice to hear a review on the inferno you dont really hear much about them
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like it i just cant see spending over 700 for it
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
For those of you with the Inferno hood
David, can you post some pictures of the hood ... both from outside, and the trimming you did inside?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was not properly molded and I unfortunately missed this when I got the hood painted and picked my car up. The left side does not match the lines of the car, it has a pretty long dip. I get compliments, but I was quite upset about the and am contacting PFYC.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dj_stylzpgh/GXP05
Mine was not properly molded
Ouch! I'd be interested in hearing if PFYC will do anything about this ...
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Ouch! I'd be interested in hearing if PFYC will do anything about this ...
From my experience dealing with PFYC talking to them is a lost cause.

My hood arrived with a small chip & because it wasn't caught during delivery it was our problem.

Note that the box was in PERFECT condition, none of the packing in the box was disturbed and the missing piece was NOT in the box. I wonder what happen?

My wife surprised me with the hood last Christmas & didn't think she needed to open it since the box made it without being damaged. Guess that's what they hope for.

The fit & finish on my hood is really nice. Only cost me $20 to get the chip repaired when I had it painted.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghlkal
David, can you post some pictures of the hood ... both from outside, and the trimming you did inside?
I will take some pics in a few days. I just need to find a camera.
My hack job is not very pleasant looking so I might touch it up this weekend.

Quick note to all, I only cut the underside of the hood. The vents and air scoop are still in tact so the hood looks stock.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Teching In

I'd be interested in those pics once you get them posted. I got the fiberglass hood instead of the CF and am pleased. However like mentioned above, the left side sticks up a little regardless if the hood strut is removed or not so that kinda sucks but it's not a huge deal.

Quick Reply: The "Inferno" hood.....