LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post mufflers

which mufflers have the lowest deciple at an idel and wot,meaning i want a good flowing exhaust setup but not wanting to sound like a camaro ss...any ideas besides keeping stock??? thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Magnaflows seem pretty quiet. Keep the resonator on, too.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Launching!

^^^ that's what I was thinking to magnaflows,there are no other brands out there which will give me more flow w/out the being so loud???
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1 CLEAN SUP3R SPORT
^^^ that's what I was thinking to magnaflows,there are no other brands out there which will give me more flow w/out the being so loud???
Magnaflows give GREAT flow. Also Flowtech afterburners, just keep the resonator on there. They aren't very loud on the inside.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think if you go with just about any super turbo youll be alright. its the chambered mufflers that are goin to make it loud.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My magnaflow cat back ain't quite after I took the resonator off, but I do have a 3inch downpipe with HF cat.....And there is no rasp at all.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Honestly I would go with an electronic cut out. you can be quite when ever you want and have that loud monster you are looking for.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock. The mufflers are not the bottleneck in the exhaust system. Changing mufflers is really only all about changing sound. If you are going to a three inch cat-back or something, then they are all going to be fairly loud. I currently have Dynomax Ultra-Flo's (2.5" i/o) on the otherwise stock system and, although it has gotten a lot louder in the last 4K miles, is quieter than stock at idle and fairly tame for aftermarket mufflers up top. I do expect them to get louder as time goes on though. The fun part about them is at start-up. The explode into a very brief chest-rumbling thump, then fade from a menecing low/deep fast idle to an almost inaudible bass murmur as the RPM's drop to the 600 or so normal idle. They will yelp outside the car under load. Inside, it is quiet. Silent on the highway on cruise. Disclaimer here though, mine have gotten louder since day one, each and every day. Probably been around 4000 miles on them, were silent for the first 200 miles, then progressively gotten louder. The 'thump' start I just noticed the other day, of course I usually start it from far away with the remote. This time was just opening the trunk and fired it to get the oil moving before I got in.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChefChub
Honestly I would go with an electronic cut out. you can be quite when ever you want and have that loud monster you are looking for.
i couldnt agree more.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Launching!

i used thresh turbos with no res and they purrr at a idle and they wont get any louder then that. i specifically wanted it to sound mean at idle then quiet up when i wot
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

t-904 Turbos dude, low beast-like growl, not very loud, but free flowing. sounds badass at wot.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
t-904 Turbos dude, low beast-like growl, not very loud, but free flowing. sounds badass at wot.

Don't forget OP was very specific and wanted something quiet at BOTH idle and WOT. Sounds like they want something just a little more personality than stock and not loud. Couple of Flowmaster 50 Delta Series might do the trick.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks for everyones feedback,I'm actually gonna do a full 2.5 catback setup but like stated in the begining don't want a beast as a DD.I should be expecting my thrid child within the next couple of days,and I don't want my new baby girl ear drums to blow with the exhaust...

Flowmasters are totally out of the question,had the 80 series for my 90 RS 305 TPI,and she sound like a rape ape...magna flows have been stock in my head,but I always hear there loud as well even w/ the res on...cut out is a maybe,but what the purpose of having it after the cat??your still using the stock 2 to 2-1/4 in piping,to me it defeats the purpose of goin open pipe... maybe b4 the cat,but don't want to deal with throwing a code since everything is electronical might mess w/the computer...does anyone agree with me on that,go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong...

Can anyone name the brands of mufflers that are used for our rides same inlet and outlet,or does any brand work???I know stupid question but just trying to find the right answer,thanks....
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

any brand will probably be able to give you the same inlet and outlet size. The cost to get the old stuff cut off and the new stuff welded on may be close to purchasing a Magnaflow cat back and installing it yourself; that is what I found when looking talking to muffler shops.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks for everyones feedback,I'm actually gonna do a full 2.5 catback setup but like stated in the begining don't want a beast as a DD.I should be expecting my thrid child within the next couple of days,and I don't want my new baby girl ear drums to blow with the exhaust...

Flowmasters are totally out of the question,had the 80 series for my 90 RS 305 TPI,and she sound like a rape ape...magna flows have been stock in my head,but I always hear there loud as well even w/ the res on...cut out is a maybe,but what the purpose of having it after the cat??your still using the stock 2 to 2-1/4 in piping,to me it defeats the purpose of goin open pipe... maybe b4 the cat,but don't want to deal with throwing a code since everything is electronical might mess w/the computer...does anyone agree with me on that,go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong...

Can anyone name the brands of mufflers that are used for our rides same inlet and outlet,or does any brand work???I know stupid question but just trying to find the right answer,thanks....
The tubing is 2.5 to the y then it is 2.25. I honestly think that a 3 inch set up is a waste. You will lose low end tourqe. Plus I don't think you will get much out of your top end. Get a 3 inch down pipe stay 2.5 inch piping to the cut out. That would be the best flow with back pressure.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Launching!

The tubing is 2.5 to the y then it is 2.25. I honestly think that a 3 inch set up is a waste. You will lose low end tourqe. Plus I don't think you will get much out of your top end. Get a 3 inch down pipe stay 2.5 inch piping to the cut out. That would be the best flow with back pressure.
who said anything about a 3in system???
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

who said anything about a 3in system???
lol whoa now calm yourself i though i read that some one mentioned a 3 in system. Long *** day at work. Sorry about that.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Im getting some VX performance exhaust put on my car next week. Im looking for the same kinda sound from it I have a cutout already but closed up it is too quiet so I am trying them for a little more sound. I will let you know how it sounds.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

lol whoa now calm yourself i though i read that some one mentioned a 3 in system. Long *** day at work. Sorry about that.
lol its all good,i know 12 hrs day @ work get to me too....
Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radorider03
Im getting some VX performance exhaust put on my car next week. Im looking for the same kinda sound from it I have a cutout already but closed up it is too quiet so I am trying them for a little more sound. I will let you know how it sounds.
koo,keep me updated and if possible post a sound clip

Quick Reply: mufflers