LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Question about transmission function in my Grand Prix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about transmission function in my Grand Prix?

Just wondering about something. I just picked up a 2000 GP GT (I know it's not an LS4 but figured you guys would be the ones to ask) for the girlfriend and I noticed on the hwy that when I step on it it only seems to downshift one gear? It just seems like it's not being kicked down enough to get the car up and hauling. Is this a tranny problem, or is it that I've been driving my Firehawk too much and maybe am expecting a little too much outta the poor girl.

Thanks for any help and I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section here. I was thinking the "transmission" section but thought this made more sense?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kinda speeds are you talking about here. 75-80?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

about 50-60. I think maybe I'm expecting too much SHould these cars spin on take off (A4 tracion control off, 3800series II on streets) a lot? Or again, am I expecting too much. Iirc they run low 15s high 14s stock don't they?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oddwraith
about 50-60. I think maybe I'm expecting too much SHould these cars spin on take off (A4 tracion control off, 3800series II on streets) a lot? Or again, am I expecting too much. Iirc they run low 15s high 14s stock don't they?
The 3800s are torquey enough to chirp tires and get up. But not like your firehawk, lol. It's been years since I have driven one but I recall them being not shabby at all when it comes to nailing the pedal.

First things first, what does your hot tranny fluid level read? Does the fluid look burned or dirty? Low fluid in the transaxle may cause what you are describing.

What does the shifter on that car look like? If you can manually select 3 or 2 by pulling the shifter down and she drives okay, it may just be the TCM calibration. On my GXP it rarely downshifts to 2nd on the highway unless I select it with tapshift.

Lastly, it is known that the trans axle in these cars is not up to the challenge of too much abuse or running hard. It is possible that the previous owner sold the car when they noticed the tranny starting to act funny.

To sum up, I would check the fluid level, then see how the car behaves. Try "manually" selecting the gears. If those things do not help you then it may be in your interest to get a mechanics opinion. I am not expert but hopefully this helps.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if ur low enough elevation u should have enough power to spin the tires for a second or two. Did u buy the car from an old person. Maybe they never floored it so the TCM is trying to figure out what ur doing lol 50-60mph it should down shift into second only if u floor it though.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah bought it off my gfs brother. But he babied it since he has the gsxr1000 for the fun stuff! But either way I'd still like to make sure the tranny fluid at least looks clean. Thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

basically 40-60 is a major dead spot for any w-body car that is not tuned 2nd gear is a dog gear.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I remember correctly my old GT was like that until I got the PCM tuned. Nacho is right on 40 - 60 being a dead spot for those cars.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Getting a tune will get rid of this dead spot...I am so slow in second. I almost got pulled by a vw jetta...bad day. Can I get a programmer to tune this out(diablo predator), if so i'm getting one right now!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah which tuners are available (handhelds/I love mine just have to learn how to dial things in right) for the GP GT of 2000? Thanks guys.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

In my GXP I notice the same thing (annoying as hell) I miss a manual so much because of this. It's like robbing you of 80HP because it doesn't downshift two gears.

My buddy had a 1998 Grand Prix ten years ago and I remember it always shifted to the proper gear when you floored it (I think they used to call it the passing gear if you floored it really fast) I guess they wanted to keep warranty problems from happening so they tuned the tranny to shift WAY LESS aggresively.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by highonpsi
In my GXP I notice the same thing (annoying as hell) I miss a manual so much because of this. It's like robbing you of 80HP because it doesn't downshift two gears.

My buddy had a 1998 Grand Prix ten years ago and I remember it always shifted to the proper gear when you floored it (I think they used to call it the passing gear if you floored it really fast) I guess they wanted to keep warranty problems from happening so they tuned the tranny to shift WAY LESS aggresively.
A close ratio six speed would make this car an animal, but the retrofit of a transmission that really doesn't exist would be tough and pricey.