LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

K&N Owners, speak up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Owners, speak up

Is it worth the money? Any dyno proven gains? Tell me what you think. I don't want to spend my money on something if you guys haven't seen any gains.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Launching!

I spent a total of $64 on parts to put together a custom FWI. Probably gets similar gains to what you could expect with any aftermarket intake.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CavPat
I spent a total of $64 on parts to put together a custom FWI. Probably gets similar gains to what you could expect with any aftermarket intake.
I'm not too keen on drilling a big hole in my fender.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I can understand that. I didn't get a K&N but did get a CAI and Im really happy with it as far as performance and gas increase. Got it in April. It'll show what it can really do once it gets cold. I can't wait.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vectus
I can understand that. I didn't get a K&N but did get a CAI and Im really happy with it as far as performance and gas increase. Got it in April. It'll show what it can really do once it gets cold. I can't wait.
Right now, I'm torn between a K&N and an E-cutout. I've got mufflers already and a DP on the way. With labor for installing the Cutout, I'd come out about the same either way.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right now, I'm torn between a K&N and an E-cutout. I've got mufflers already and a DP on the way. With labor for installing the Cutout, I'd come out about the same either way.
I'm actually having my cut out installed today. For dirt cheap too. So can't really comment on that one yet. But I will in a few days. Oh, part of the reason I like my cai is becuase I have a ramair hood, so that really helped alot. As for your dp let me know how you like it.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

I ordered the Cutout, figured the intake isn't nearly as restrictive as the tiny exhaust and two mufflers. It and my DP are shipping today. Just called my tuner to set up a wideband dyno tune. Mustang GTs better look out.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cringed when I spent $250 on my K&N CIA. After putting it in, the car was noticeably more powerful. Tire spin was much easier to achieve and the car pulled a lot harder. I didn't pay to dyno the car before and after a CIA. The kit was pretty well thought out and went in easy. If it lasts me then I guess it was worth the money.

It was the first mod I did to my GXP. From stock to the K&N kit power gains were evident. I would buy it again.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
I cringed when I spent $250 on my K&N CIA. After putting it in, the car was noticeably more powerful. Tire spin was much easier to achieve and the car pulled a lot harder. I didn't pay to dyno the car before and after a CIA. The kit was pretty well thought out and went in easy. If it lasts me then I guess it was worth the money.

It was the first mod I did to my GXP. From stock to the K&N kit power gains were evident. I would buy it again.

Same here, and I have magnaflows. So don't know how much more the cutout'll help. But I pretty much agree with the above.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Launching!

I didn't cut or drill anything in my fender. The hole is already there when you pull out the stock airbox.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't cut or drill anything in my fender. The hole is already there when you pull out the stock airbox.
Only on GXPs. Us Chevy guys don't have that luxury
Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Oh, ok
Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Can we get some pics? I want to built my own too, just looking for some idea's. What size pipe and what kind of pipe did you use?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Can we get some pics of your custom fwi. I'm planning on doing it myself. Also what size pipe and what did you use for the pipe?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Launching!

^I'm assuming by your screen name that you have a Monte Carlo. Apparently you guys don't have the hole in the inside fenderwell like us gxp'ers. Anyway, I used a cone filter, 3inch pipe, a 90* silicone elbow, and a straight 3 to 3.25inch coupler to run it straight from the MAF to the inside of the fender where it turns down. There's write-ups and pictures on clubgp and grandprixforums.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^I'm assuming by your screen name that you have a Monte Carlo. Apparently you guys don't have the hole in the inside fenderwell like us gxp'ers.
nope, we don't...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Love mine! everyone goes with the airbox's. I wouldnt have gone any other way and it costs a little more for a reason! People will argue that but personally I think it was well worth it!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

I've had mine on for about 2 months now and I like it. I can feel the difference while cruising and then going WOT. Makes a nice throaty noise to when you excelerate hard, but you have to keep in mind that your gas mileage WILL go down if you keep wanting to hear it suck in the air at WOT. Granted I didn't pay full price(thanks Hellschariot) I would probably buy one again.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Here's an off topic question. Will I be ok driving around with a catless DP for 4 or 5 days until I can get it tuned? Will it do anything but cut on the CEL?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ I don't see why you would have any issues with the downpipe before a tune.

As for the K&N, I don't regret mine at all. I paid $230 new. I chose it over making a custom intake because it gives a finished look. Most home made/custom intakes look like crap, but there's a few that look really good.