LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Vibration in vehicle w/ new wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in vehicle w/ new wheels.

Hey all,

I've developed a vibration in my vehicle; the steering wheel has a shimmy and I can feel the vibration in the seat. I already got the tires rebalanced but they did not help.

Today, I pulled off the front wheels and noticed that on the hub there are scrapes like the centering ring is forced on the hub and doesn't really fit all the way down. I measured the line where the scrapes stop (I presume that is how far down the centering ring is able to go on the hub) to the rotor....there is little over an 1/8 of an inch. I measure the lip inside the wheel bore to the centering ring....it is exactly 1/8 of an inch so there may be a small gap.

Furthermore, when putting on the Aftermarket wheels, I have to go around several times to get each lug torqued to 100 ft/lbs; it is almost like I am forcing the wheel on and it takes forever to get the wheels snugged. I also check to see if there is a gap between the rotor and the wheel, but there is not. I was thinking when I am tightening the lugs down it is slowly flexing the wheel to fit snug against the rotor.

I know I cannnot remove the centering ring as the bore of the wheel would be much too large for the hub. My guess is since the hub does not fit correctly inside the bore w/ the centering ring, a small spacer, 1/8 of an inch or less, would solve the issue as it would make the wheel flush to the rotor swithout flexing it; thus giving a perfect fit and removing the space that could be giving me the vibration. What do you guys think?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Uhhhh did you read this? Kinda important.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...sa-wheels.html
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Uhhhh did you read this? Kinda important.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...sa-wheels.html
I definitely read that post already, but none of the bolts on the brake had backed out. I do not know if it is the same situation as I am only having a vibration.