LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

1st Tranny down

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems these transmissions need the torque mgmt in order to last. Too bad. I had not touched that part of the tune yet. Thanks for the answer on that question.

I had the right front hub replaced right after I got the car - I assumed it was from my cars past life as a rental (imagine that an Impala SS rental). Maybe some issues there with the parts supplier or the engineering.

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
damn man i wish i could have a tune but my dealership made it very clear my warranty would go out the door.
Can you find another GM dealer in town? Maybe they would have a different attitude since the attitude is apparently not enforced all across GM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mostmint

Can you find another GM dealer in town? Maybe they would have a different attitude since the attitude is apparently not enforced all across GM.
there is only 1 pontiac dealer left within a couple of hours of my home so i am kinda SOL. i have a GM dealership 5 minutes from me but they wont do warranty work on my car because i took it in for an oil change and they found oil on the front of the oil pan. they called their insurance and they were told they couldnt do the work so i had to take it 30 minutes to the pontiac dealer.

Last edited by DP 08 GXP; 08-24-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Not sure about the 4T65-HD, but the 4T80-E I had in my 95 Aurora had a limp-home mode...It locked itself into 2nd gear when it failed on me, which the tech said it was programmed to do in case of a major failure. Of course, this caused the motor to spin 3 rod bearings, too!

Glad I bought the warranty!
My '97 GTP had the 4T65-HD trans in it and it did the same thing. Locked itself in second. I came to a stop (normal driving) and when I went to go, I no more than let off the brake when it sounded like an explosion. No matter what position the shift lever was in, it would drive, even in neutral. I sheared off the sun gear, and my planets were out of alignment..LOL
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Tranny down at 64K stopped at a light wentto take off cars shuttered then RPMs jumped to redline no limp mode no nothing coasted to the side of the road and had to tow it. $4285 for a new one at the dealer
Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

My Impy SS was a rental car too. I thought it was weird to have an Impala SS rental. Guess I'm not the only one who's car started life out that way.

Originally Posted by mostmint

I had the right front hub replaced right after I got the car - I assumed it was from my cars past life as a rental (imagine that an Impala SS rental). Maybe some issues there with the parts supplier or the engineering.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4MonteCarloSS
Tranny down at 64K stopped at a light wentto take off cars shuttered then RPMs jumped to redline no limp mode no nothing coasted to the side of the road and had to tow it. $4285 for a new one at the dealer
Sorry, but you got ripped off. I work for chevrolet, and we mark our transmissions up $300 over cost. We don't sell them for list. You spent close to $1000 more than it would have cost at my store.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell us where your store is so we can get a better deal!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
Sorry, but you got ripped off. I work for chevrolet, and we mark our transmissions up $300 over cost. We don't sell them for list. You spent close to $1000 more than it would have cost at my store.
the $4285 includes labor tranny fluid tax all that BS
Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Got the car back, and she is mint. Loaded my regular tune back in her, and she's awesome. I am so happy, and I have a pic to load of her "test". Passed with flying colors. What is wierd is they told me that they flashed the computer with a newer version, but it did not effect the tune I had loaded in there (no DoD, and no emmission light). Thought that was strange as I figured it would have overwritten that for sure. All in all, it was nice to have a brand new 4x4 as a rental, but I'm happy being back in the impy!!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4MonteCarloSS
the $4285 includes labor tranny fluid tax all that BS
I understand. It would have rolled out of our shop for around $3300, give or take. The transmission is only $1900.